Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: HBO series watchman
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I’m half way through it right now, figured this discussion for sure has to go in the political forum since the show is openly political.

I’m enjoying it but struggling to find any kind of balance. It clearly paints the majority of rural white people as klans men even the chief ends up being a klans sympathizer at least. 

I haven’t finished the show but I’m interested if anyone else has watched it? I think it’s very well done and fascinating on how they tie in real events to this fictional world. I had never heard of the Tuscaloosa massacre before horrible event to read about.
(05-18-2020, 08:45 PM)EricC85 Wrote: [ -> ]I’m half way through it right now, figured this discussion for sure has to go in the political forum since the show is openly political.

I’m enjoying it but struggling to find any kind of balance. It clearly paints the majority of rural white people as klans men even the chief ends up being a klans sympathizer at least. 

I haven’t finished the show but I’m interested if anyone else has watched it? I think it’s very well done and fascinating on how they tie in real events to this fictional world. I had never heard of the Tuscaloosa massacre before horrible event to read about.

Wasn't it Tulsa?
(05-18-2020, 08:47 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-18-2020, 08:45 PM)EricC85 Wrote: [ -> ]I’m half way through it right now, figured this discussion for sure has to go in the political forum since the show is openly political.

Wasn't it Tulsa?

You’re  right I got that mixed up it’s Tulsa. I had honestly never even heard of the event before, I was shocked when I did some looking into it that it was a real event.
(05-18-2020, 08:59 PM)EricC85 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-18-2020, 08:47 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]Wasn't it Tulsa?

You’re  right I got that mixed up it’s Tulsa. I had honestly never even heard of the event before, I was shocked when I did some looking into it that it was a real event.

We had two extremely similar events, one almost as big, in Florida around the same time.
Ocoee and Rosewood.
(05-18-2020, 09:01 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-18-2020, 08:59 PM)EricC85 Wrote: [ -> ]You’re  right I got that mixed up it’s Tulsa. I had honestly never even heard of the event before, I was shocked when I did some looking into it that it was a real event.

We had two extremely similar events, one almost as big, in Florida around the same time.
Ocoee and Rosewood.

Huh all this predates my family even coming here to the United States sad time in our history
(05-18-2020, 09:16 PM)EricC85 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-18-2020, 09:01 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]We had two extremely similar events, one almost as big, in Florida around the same time.
Ocoee and Rosewood.

Huh all this predates my family even coming here to the United States sad time in our history

Some of my ancestors were in California at the time, but the rest were still in modern day Ukraine, but with the Romanian army ruling over them.  
Even if our ancestors were there, we shouldn't feel guilty about it.
But I'd ask, I don't know if you went to high school in Jacksonville but I did, why did school teach us so much about General Lee and not a word about any of this?
(05-18-2020, 09:30 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-18-2020, 09:16 PM)EricC85 Wrote: [ -> ]Huh all this predates my family even coming here to the United States sad time in our history

Some of my ancestors were in California at the time, but the rest were still in modern day Ukraine, but with the Romanian army ruling over them.  
But I'd ask, I don't know if you went to high school in Jacksonville but I did, why did school teach us so much about General Lee and not a word about any of this?

I was on and out different schools my entire childhood spent a few years in public system in elementary spent most of middle school at church schools was homeschooled for a few years and then finished high school in public school in st. Augustine.

That said I agree this kind of stuff should absolutely be reviewed in school. Good and bad it’s important people know history and various perspectives. 

I have one son entering into high school pretty soon I’m definitely going to be reviewing some of these events at the appropriate age since we homeschool all four of our kids.
I've finished it - excellent score and weirdly good, as should be expected by a Watchmen spinoff. Had fun throughout the series.

Regina King and Tim Blake Nelson bring their A-game.
(05-18-2020, 09:30 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-18-2020, 09:16 PM)EricC85 Wrote: [ -> ]Huh all this predates my family even coming here to the United States sad time in our history

I didn't go to school in Jax but my history classes always ran out of time and never made it to the 20th century.
(05-19-2020, 09:35 AM)MalabarJag Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-18-2020, 09:30 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]Some of my ancestors were in California at the time, but the rest were still in modern day Ukraine, but with the Romanian army ruling over them.  

I didn't go to school in Jax but my history classes always ran out of time and never made it to the 20th century.

Yeah, that was a problem too.  The textbook always went to modern times but the school year was over by the time they were starting to explain WWI.
How closely does this follow the original comic?

I'm probably the only person who'll ever say this, but I really liked the original movie. They stayed mostly on plot, then made a very sensible, very chilling change to the ending that really fit the time it was in.
(05-19-2020, 03:08 PM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]How closely does this follow the original comic?

I'm probably the only person who'll ever say this, but I really liked the original movie. They stayed mostly on plot, then made a very sensible, very chilling change to the ending that really fit the time it was in.

It's in the universe, but not an extended series version of the comic/movie, if that's what you're asking
I liked the original movie, too.
(05-19-2020, 03:08 PM)ETJBender Wrote: [ -> ]How closely does this follow the original comic?

I never read the comics so I have no idea, I only vaguely remember the movie mostly the giant blue man naked in Vietnam lol. This series seems to take place after the movie since they reference events in the movie often.
“Redford won’t even take my calls, he says he would have won without me. Like some cowboy actor could obtain the Presidency” that’s my favorite line so far lol
Ok so I finished it last night

Ultimately the primary villain was the one trying to build a utopian world. Interesting twist