Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Election - Nov 2021 (my own personal opinion)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Wouldn't it make sense to move the general election to Nov 2021 ?   I now it won't happen but this really does seem to be the once in a lifetime event in which both parties should consider extending the election to the subsequent year.  I mean, think about everything that goes into an election ... convention, campaigning, voting booths, etc.

I think this is even more unique than having an election during a World War since this is a time period in which large groups cannot assemble AND everything needs to be maintained in a germ-free manner.

Not sure what made me think of this ... I guess it just seems weird that there may be a high speed expedited election campaign in our near future.  Let us just watch sports, relax and enjoy for the rest of the year.  I'm not ready for this.
(05-27-2020, 03:11 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]Wouldn't it make sense to move the general election to Nov 2021 ?   I now it won't happen but this really does seem to be the once in a lifetime event in which both parties should consider extending the election to the subsequent year.  I mean, think about everything that goes into an election ... convention, campaigning, voting booths, etc.

I think this is even more unique than having an election during a World War since this is a time period in which large groups cannot assemble AND everything needs to be maintained in a germ-free manner.

Not sure what made me think of this ... I guess it just seems weird that there may be a high speed expedited election campaign in our near future.  Let us just watch sports, relax and enjoy for the rest of the year.  I'm not ready for this.

No, COVID will be over in another month.
Trump deserves 9 years. I agree.
I disagree.
This is a great opportunity to show that all the pageantry and rallies we have grown accustomed to are distractions at best.
Good riddance.
(05-27-2020, 03:19 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]I disagree.
This is a great opportunity to show that all the pageantry and rallies we have grown accustomed to are distractions at best.
Good riddance.

Translation:

This is a great opportunity to show that you can hide an 80 year old racist geriatric with serious cognitive defects in his basement and hope the masters of the universe can carry him to the White House while suppressing his competitor all at the same time.
(05-27-2020, 03:11 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]Wouldn't it make sense to move the general election to Nov 2021 ?   I now it won't happen but this really does seem to be the once in a lifetime event in which both parties should consider extending the election to the subsequent year.  I mean, think about everything that goes into an election ... convention, campaigning, voting booths, etc.

Nope.

If people can stand in line while practicing "social distancing" while waiting to shop at Costco, Home Depot, Walmart, etc. they can most certainly do so at the polls.

As far as conventions or campaign rallies, again people have the choice to attend or not attend.

Do we go through this nonsense during cold/flu season?  Are the same people vulnerable to the Chinese Wuhan virus not vulnerable to the common cold/flu?

No, I am absolutely against postponing the election.  We voted in the middle of the Civil War.  We voted in the middle of WWII.  

No, no, no, it is nonsense to postpone an election.
Roger Godell will never let this happen.
(05-27-2020, 03:24 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-27-2020, 03:19 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]I disagree.
Good riddance.

Translation:

This is a great opportunity to show that you can hide an 80 year old racist geriatric with serious cognitive defects in his basement and hope the masters of the universe can carry him to the White House while suppressing his competitor all at the same time.

See, everyone gets an opportunity!
(05-27-2020, 05:44 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]

No, I am absolutely against postponing the election.  We voted in the middle of the Civil War.  We voted in the middle of WWII.  

I was actually going to use WWI and WWII as comparable scenarios but then realized that voting during wartime may be the best way to express one's opinion about such decisions.  I think this is different since we were in lockdown mode and are still recognizing some form of stay at home guidelines.
(05-28-2020, 08:05 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-27-2020, 05:44 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]No, I am absolutely against postponing the election.  We voted in the middle of the Civil War.  We voted in the middle of WWII.  

I was actually going to use WWI and WWII as comparable scenarios but then realized that voting during wartime may be the best way to express one's opinion about such decisions.  I think this is different since we were in lockdown mode and are still recognizing some form of stay at home guidelines.

Roger Goodell, will not let this happen
(05-27-2020, 03:11 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]Wouldn't it make sense to move the general election to Nov 2021 ?

No. End of story. You don't move a Presidential (or other federal) election, period. You can and should take advantage of new means and technology for making voting as accessible as possible to anyone who wants to (and legally can) cast a ballot, but under no circumstances should a federal election ever be moved.
(05-28-2020, 12:42 PM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-27-2020, 03:11 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]Wouldn't it make sense to move the general election to Nov 2021 ?

No. End of story. You don't move a Presidential (or other federal) election, period. You can and should take advantage of new means and technology for making voting as accessible as possible to anyone who wants to (and legally can) cast a ballot, but under no circumstances should a federal election ever be moved.

I don't know about ever, but this temporary situation clearly isn't a good enough reason.
(05-28-2020, 12:48 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-28-2020, 12:42 PM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]No. End of story. You don't move a Presidential (or other federal) election, period. You can and should take advantage of new means and technology for making voting as accessible as possible to anyone who wants to (and legally can) cast a ballot, but under no circumstances should a federal election ever be moved.

I don't know about ever, but this temporary situation clearly isn't a good enough reason.

We didn't have online and mail-in voting available to us in the Civil War, either of the World Wars or during the early days of the AIDS pandemic when there was no real understanding of how it was transmitted. We voted then anyway. No excuse for postponing an election today given the number of methods we have (or should have) available.
Here's the biggest problem: who makes the decision to postpone the election? Answer: elected officials. You can see the obvious problem with allowing elected officials to postpone elections.
(05-29-2020, 07:57 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]Here's the biggest problem: who makes the decision to postpone the election?  Answer: elected officials.   You can see the obvious problem with allowing elected officials to postpone elections.

Sort of. There are two key deadlines here. One is that electoral votes must be received by Congress on December 23rd, for counting on January 6th. There's some play there, but there's no play in the date that the President and Vice President's terms end: noon on January 20th, 2021. If their terms lapse without election results being certified, the Presidency would fall to either Nancy Pelosi or Chuck Grassley. After that, who the hell knows what would happen? It's a precedent no one wants to risk setting.
(05-28-2020, 12:42 PM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]

Uh OK.  If you liked this great idea, you're going to love my next "thinking out of the box" idea.  Smile

(05-29-2020, 07:57 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]Here's the biggest problem: who makes the decision to postpone the election?  Answer: elected officials.   You can see the obvious problem with allowing elected officials to postpone elections.

Executive Order ???  HA !! 

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e470f433fdb4d72256bcd...=giphy.gif]