Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: GOP convention in Jacksonville?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Now that Trump is saying the GOP convention will leave North Carolina over the state's social distancing requirements, Mayor Curry is trying to get them to come to Jacksonville. 

https://www.news4jax.com/news/politics/2...ksonville/

My opinion is that this is a very bad idea.  Wherever that convention goes, there will be massive civil unrest and probably riots.  The supposed "$100 million" shot in the arm for the local economy will be completely offset by the disruption, the trash, the destruction, cost of security, and numerous other problems and costs it would bring to the city.
(06-03-2020, 06:14 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]Now that Trump is saying the GOP convention will leave North Carolina over the state's social distancing requirements, Mayor Curry is trying to get them to come to Jacksonville. 

My opinion is that this is a very bad idea.  Wherever that convention goes, there will be massive civil unrest and probably riots.  The supposed "$100 million" shot in the arm for the local economy will be completely offset by the disruption, the trash, the destruction, cost of security, and numerous other problems and costs it would bring to the city.

This is the GOP convention Marty, not the Dems.  No Occupy Wall Street People here.
Maybe they can use all the hotels Shad Khan has built downtown.
(06-03-2020, 06:14 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]Now that Trump is saying the GOP convention will leave North Carolina over the state's social distancing requirements, Mayor Curry is trying to get them to come to Jacksonville. 

So what you’re saying is that the city should turn down a fiscal and image opportunity because your side can’t act civilly?
(06-03-2020, 07:29 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]

So what you’re saying is that the city should turn down a fiscal and image opportunity because your side can’t act civilly?

My side???  Very funny.  

Do you think the people you call "my side" can act civilly?  Do you think they will?  They're not my side, and I do not think they will act civilly. 

Who do you think is out there doing all the rioting, looting, and burning the last few days?  Do you think they'll just decide to stay away from the biggest rioting, burning, and looting event of the new century- the renomination of Donald Trump?  They just gonna sit home and watch it on TV?  No.  If you bring the Republican convention to Jacksonville, then you also bring Antifa, the Black Panthers, international anarchists, you name them and they will be here.  Every nut and flake on earth will descend on little old Jacksonville and some of them will be bent on destruction.  Do you think Jacksonville is equipped to handle something like that?  

I'm not saying there won't be "decent people on both sides" as Mr Trump put it, but that convention is going to bring riots.  Bank on it.  

We're seeing 1968 play out all over again.

NOT TO MENTION tens of thousands of people all packed together in an arena for a week, refusing to even wear masks, then spreading out all over the city to various hotels, restaurants, shopping centers.  They will spread Covid-19 all over the city.
(06-03-2020, 07:48 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-03-2020, 07:29 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]So what you’re saying is that the city should turn down a fiscal and image opportunity because your side can’t act civilly?

My side???  Very funny.  

Do you think the people you call "my side" can act civilly?  Do you think they will?  They're not my side, and I do not think they will act civilly. 

Who do you think is out there doing all the rioting, looting, and burning the last few days?  Do you think they'll just decide to stay away from the biggest rioting, burning, and looting event of the new century- the renomination of Donald Trump?  They just gonna sit home and watch it on TV?  No.  If you bring the Republican convention to Jacksonville, then you also bring Antifa, the Black Panthers, international anarchists, you name them and they will be here.  Every nut and flake on earth will descend on little old Jacksonville and some of them will be bent on destruction.  Do you think Jacksonville is equipped to handle something like that?  

I'm not saying there won't be "decent people on both sides" as Mr Trump put it, but that convention is going to bring riots.  Bank on it.  

We're seeing 1968 play out all over again.

So we should be intimidated into remaining silent? Where does it end, Marty?

‘No, don’t wear a red hat because it will get you assaulted.’

‘No, don’t have a party convention because it will get you assaulted.’

‘No, don’t support that belief or it will get you assaulted.’

I’ll let my conscience and beliefs guide my actions, not intimidation. 

Don’t side with the bullies.
You worry a whole lot dude. Too much.
Lol ... the RNC must be looking at this rendering of downtown w/ the new look Lot J

[Image: STF4IC2EFRFURBO4BSUAEXILSY.jpg]
(06-03-2020, 08:17 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]Lol ... the RNC must be looking at this rendering of downtown w/ the new look Lot J

[Image: STF4IC2EFRFURBO4BSUAEXILSY.jpg]

I see Kismet is holding its ground
(06-03-2020, 08:16 AM)Jagwired Wrote: [ -> ]You worry a whole lot dude. Too much.

He can be a hand wringer, sometimes.
As long as the police are ready and able to crush the rioters, it is fine. I do agree that it may not be a good thing as the liberals will try to cause problems to help their end game.
I don't think Curry really wants to land the Republican convention. What he wants to do is get Trump's attention. So if Trump gets re-elected, Curry can get a job in the Trump administration. Because Curry is tired of being mayor.
(06-03-2020, 09:17 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think Curry really wants to land the Republican convention.  What he wants to do is get Trump's attention.  So if Trump gets re-elected, Curry can get a job in the Trump administration.  Because Curry is tired of being mayor.

Keep beating that bush. Something will pop out.
(06-03-2020, 08:52 AM)p_rushing Wrote: [ -> ]As long as the police are ready and able to crush the rioters, it is fine. I do agree that it may not be a good thing as the liberals will try to cause problems to help their end game.

Rioting would be so idiotic.  Voting would be so smart if one disagrees with certain political views and such.
(06-03-2020, 12:25 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-03-2020, 08:52 AM)p_rushing Wrote: [ -> ]As long as the police are ready and able to crush the rioters, it is fine. I do agree that it may not be a good thing as the liberals will try to cause problems to help their end game.

Rioting would be so idiotic.  Voting would be so smart if one disagrees with certain political views and such.

Rioters come in two forms;

1)  Those who want to enact change, but aren't smart enough to understand rioting is counterproductive and only serves to undermine their own credibility.

2)  Those who simply want to act out in a violent manner and will use any political situation as an excuse for their actions.
Marty is bringing up some reasonable points. I don't want all that garbage here, either. And his argument regarding Covid is solid, too. It will increase our rate of spread significantly, which is bad news for our elderly.
(06-03-2020, 02:18 PM)Last42min Wrote: [ -> ]Marty is bringing up some reasonable points. I don't want all that garbage here, either. And his argument regarding Covid is solid, too. It will increase our rate of spread significantly, which is bad news for our elderly.

The word from abroad is that the novel strain could just flame out.
I am hopeful this is true, and confirms my unfounded suspicions that this was man-made (not for nefarious purposes, but research that accidentally was released). Even so, I would rather play it safe. Also, I like Jacksonville. I get the politicians want to see it expand, but I prefer living in a city with a lower population density. Don't really want to market it outside of the Jaguars.

Freaking Gov. Cooper is a pansy. He's going to keep us social distanced for as long as possible. We're currently in phase 2 of getting back to "normal" and what was only supposed to be two weeks turned into five when he announced the phase 2 parameters. Nail and hair salons could open but not the gyms. [BLEEP].