Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: No more comments
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So for awhile now we have not been able to make comments on NFL.com articles. I have wondered and even asked on Twitter why that was taken away. I am not sure exactly when it went away but I am pretty sure it was during the kneeling protests. 

I was watching Tucker Carlson Tonight and I think he may have answered it without mentioning NFL.com 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zZLH077cE7Y

Skip ahead to 3:53 if you want to hear. I found that to be very interesting. These celebrities can say and do whatever they want, they can "use their platform" while those of us who arent multimillionaires or have half a million followers have to just sit back and we can say nothing except on Facebook... Just thought this was interesting.
I won't bother listening to [BLEEP] Carlton yap on, but it's 100% because of advertisers. Hiring a full-time moderator is cost prohibitive for lots of websites, but if commenters are running around posting about how the south will rise again, how certain people are inferior, that sort of crap, advertisers won't want their brand associated with it and will pull out. Ditto Google. If I work for Bob's Supermarket and I see my ad come up in Adwords on a page that has commentors talking about rape, murder and possibly cannibalism, I'm going to tell Google to either keep me off of that site or I'll stop paying for Adwords entirely. No advertisers = no ad dollars.
(06-17-2020, 12:49 AM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]I won't bother listening to [BLEEP] Carlton yap on, but it's 100% because of advertisers. Hiring a full-time moderator is cost prohibitive for lots of websites, but if commenters are running around posting about how the south will rise again, how certain people are inferior, that sort of crap, advertisers won't want their brand associated with it and will pull out. Ditto Google. If I work for Bob's Supermarket and I see my ad come up in Adwords on a page that has commentors talking about rape, murder and possibly cannibalism, I'm going to tell Google to either keep me off of that site or I'll stop paying for Adwords entirely. No advertisers = no ad dollars.

Those comments were made through Facebook and people can report comments. We have free speech in this country. I see a Rite Aid advertisement on this page, how much does this site pay to have comments moderated so people don't talk about murder.
(06-17-2020, 12:58 AM)AlsJagsFan Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-17-2020, 12:49 AM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]I won't bother listening to [BLEEP] Carlton yap on, but it's 100% because of advertisers. Hiring a full-time moderator is cost prohibitive for lots of websites, but if commenters are running around posting about how the south will rise again, how certain people are inferior, that sort of crap, advertisers won't want their brand associated with it and will pull out. Ditto Google. If I work for Bob's Supermarket and I see my ad come up in Adwords on a page that has commentors talking about rape, murder and possibly cannibalism, I'm going to tell Google to either keep me off of that site or I'll stop paying for Adwords entirely. No advertisers = no ad dollars.

Those comments were made through Facebook and people can report comments. We have free speech in this country. I see a Rite Aid advertisement on this page, how much does this site pay to have comments moderated so people don't talk about murder.

We dont talk about murder?
Tucker's monologues are FIRE. Why do you think the cancel culture is coming after him? He had the highest rated show Monday when he exposed BLM.
(06-17-2020, 07:36 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]Tucker's monologues are FIRE. Why do you think the cancel culture is coming after him? He had the highest rated show Monday when he exposed BLM.

Which means that the imaginary Cancel Culture would try to end his sponsorship to get him taken off the air if they really existed as some people suspect. I'm sure that's not so though, since there's no evidence whatsoever that such things happen to Conservatives. Nope none whatsoever!
(06-17-2020, 12:36 AM)AlsJagsFan Wrote: [ -> ]So for awhile now we have not been able to make comments on NFL.com articles. I have wondered and even asked on Twitter why that was taken away. I am not sure exactly when it went away but I am pretty sure it was during the kneeling protests. 

I was watching Tucker Carlson Tonight and I think he may have answered it without mentioning NFL.com 

Skip ahead to 3:53 if you want to hear. I found that to be very interesting. These celebrities can say and do whatever they want, they can "use their platform" while those of us who arent multimillionaires or have half a million followers have to just sit back and we can say nothing except on Facebook... Just thought this was interesting.

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47c161e2f6fcfed387d4...=giphy.gif]
People still using Facebook.

Hilarious.
(06-17-2020, 08:39 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]People still using Facebook.

Hilarious.

Only 2.5 billion.
(06-17-2020, 08:46 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-17-2020, 08:39 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]People still using Facebook.

Hilarious.

Only 2.5 billion.
And that doesn’t make it the worst social media platform?

Is that active users? My account is probably still up but I haven’t used it in 6 years.
(06-17-2020, 09:03 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-17-2020, 08:46 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]Only 2.5 billion.
And that doesn’t make it the worst social media platform?

Is that active users? My account is probably still up but I haven’t used it in 6 years.

Probably active accounts.

As far as worst social media platform, that depends how you use it. If you use it to post pictures of your dinner, probably. If you use it to share pictures with family, probably not.
One thing I know for a fact. Google is the default search engine for Firefox browser and will occasionally remove FOX news quick launch link from my Top Sites on their new tab launch page which features a Google search page. I have noticed it disappeared several times in the past six months or so. Seems the more often I use it the quicker they remove it. I then navigate to FOX news.com and immediately close the window several times consecutively and the link returns to my list. They most definitely are manipulating that list.
(06-17-2020, 09:10 AM)Jagwired Wrote: [ -> ]One thing I know for a fact. Google is the default search engine for Firefox browser and will occasionally remove FOX news quick launch link from my Top Sites on their new tab launch page which features a Google search page. I have noticed it disappeared several times in the past six months or so. Seems the more often I use it the quicker they remove it. I then navigate to FOX news.com and immediately close the window several times consecutively and the link returns to my list. They most definitely are manipulating that list.

Google will be broken up in the next 3-5 years. They are playing with fire.
(06-17-2020, 09:16 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-17-2020, 09:10 AM)Jagwired Wrote: [ -> ]One thing I know for a fact. Google is the default search engine for Firefox browser and will occasionally remove FOX news quick launch link from my Top Sites on their new tab launch page which features a Google search page. I have noticed it disappeared several times in the past six months or so. Seems the more often I use it the quicker they remove it. I then navigate to FOX news.com and immediately close the window several times consecutively and the link returns to my list. They most definitely are manipulating that list.

Bahahahaha

Suuuuuure.
(06-17-2020, 09:16 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]

They should be but won't. They control too much of the online advertisement, but they say / do just enough each time they come under scrutiny so that they get the attention off of them.
(06-17-2020, 01:17 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-17-2020, 09:16 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]Google will be broken up in the next 3-5 years. They are playing with fire.

They should be but won't. They control too much of the online advertisement, but they say / do just enough each time they come under scrutiny so that they get the attention off of them.

We will see. Lot of noise out there today about DOJ opening pathways to remove social media giant legal immunity. Could be enough of a nudge for them to shape up.
(06-17-2020, 01:24 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-17-2020, 01:17 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: [ -> ]They should be but won't. They control too much of the online advertisement, but they say / do just enough each time they come under scrutiny so that they get the attention off of them.

We will see. Lot of noise out there today about DOJ opening pathways to remove social media giant legal immunity. Could be enough of a nudge for them to shape up.
Move those goal posts!

Google isn’t social media lol
(06-17-2020, 06:58 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-17-2020, 12:58 AM)AlsJagsFan Wrote: [ -> ]Those comments were made through Facebook and people can report comments. We have free speech in this country. I see a Rite Aid advertisement on this page, how much does this site pay to have comments moderated so people don't talk about murder.

We dont talk about murder?

And I never once read a comment on NFL.com talking s out murder...read the other guys argument

(06-17-2020, 01:25 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-17-2020, 01:24 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]We will see. Lot of noise out there today about DOJ opening pathways to remove social media giant legal immunity. Could be enough of a nudge for them to shape up.
Move those goal posts!

Google isn’t social media lol

They still enjoy the immunity of not being held liable u like other media outlets.
(06-17-2020, 01:24 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-17-2020, 01:17 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: [ -> ]They should be but won't. They control too much of the online advertisement, but they say / do just enough each time they come under scrutiny so that they get the attention off of them.

Social media? Are you that one person still inviting people to Google+?