Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: American Passport Now Worthless
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
https://medium.com/@indica/the-plague-st...b20678a80e

Americans now have access to exactly two dozen states, five more (*) if they want to endure a 14-day quarantine on the end. Americans have gone from world power to getting the side-eye from Ecuador in a matter of months. Right now Americans are only really welcome on remote islands or at corralled resorts in Mexico, where they can be isolated from everyone else.

It’s not that other nations don’t want to welcome Americans, they just can’t. The point of a passport is that a sovereign power vouches for its bearer, but America can’t vouch for the health of their citizens at all. America’s public health regime is far less trustworthy than Liberia’s (which is actually quite good). Its sovereign is mad.

At the same time, you can’t trust Americans. Americans have poor hygiene (low masking rate) and at least 40% of the population can’t be trusted to even believe that COVID-19 exists, let alone to take it seriously. They’re likely to refuse testing, not report symptoms, break quarantine, and generally NOT follow rules. Americans have a toxic combination of ignorance and arrogance that makes them unwelcome travelers.

[font=medium-content-serif-font, Georgia, Cambria,]That’s the near future of the United States. An epidemic that spreads largely unchecked until next year. A population too unprotected and ignorant to be allowed anywhere else. A world that largely suppresses the virus — from Mongolia to Ghana to Trinidad & Tobago — but which has to keep America in isolation.[/font]

In the end, Trump did what he said. He built a wall around America and made the world pay for it. He just never told Americans that they’d be stuck inside.
Back away from the edge, Marty. Everything will be okay.
What a laughable post. Marty probably wrote the story. Buuuwwwaaaaaa.

"Anyone can publish on Medium per our Policies, but we don’t fact-check every story. For more info about the coronavirus, see cdc.gov."

Just follow the writers link and look at some of the nonsensical [BLEEP] that [BLEEP] hat has penned. C'mon Marty, Really?. You have lost it dude.
(07-20-2020, 09:51 AM)Jagwired Wrote: [ -> ]What a laughable post. Marty probably wrote the story. Buuuwwwaaaaaa.

"Anyone can publish on Medium per our Policies, but we don’t fact-check every story. For more info about the coronavirus, see cdc.gov."

Just follow the writers link and look at some of the nonsensical [BLEEP] that [BLEEP] hat has penned. C'mon Marty, Really?. You have lost it dude.

So you're saying I can take that trip to Europe after all?
(07-20-2020, 10:10 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-20-2020, 09:51 AM)Jagwired Wrote: [ -> ]What a laughable post. Marty probably wrote the story. Buuuwwwaaaaaa.

Yes you can.
(07-20-2020, 10:15 AM)Jagwired Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-20-2020, 10:10 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]So you're saying I can take that trip to Europe after all?

Yes you can.

No, he can't, and neither can you, unless you can show proof of residency in a different country like Canada.
(07-20-2020, 10:10 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]

Do you want to? Maybe you can go there and see how they are handling COVID-19.
Although one doesn't need a passport to travel to Puerto Rico, we just cancelled our trip there since they are requiring a negative Covid test within 72 hours of arrival --- this is their way of preventing continental US travelers from visiting since everyone knows results are not provided until 5-7 days and sometimes even longer.  As such, one would need to go to Gov quarantine until the results are provided.  If the results are positive, you need to Gov quarantine for 14 more days and pay for your stay and medical expenses.   Aruba is making travels do the same AND buy insurance which is $99 per person for those staying 6 days or less and $165/per person for those staying a week

We looked into everything, including Cabo San Lucas but they are closing once again to to US travelers visiting when they reopened in mid-June.  We're pretty much screwing up every place we go.

Most people on this board probably don't even need a passport (I mean, why leave Merica) so this thread probably doesn't impact most.
(07-20-2020, 11:15 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]Although one doesn't need a passport to travel to Puerto Rico, we just cancelled our trip there since they are requiring a negative Covid test within 72 hours of arrival --- this is their way of preventing continental US travelers from visiting since everyone knows results are not provided until 5-7 days and sometimes even longer.  As such, one would need to go to Gov quarantine until the results are provided.  If the results are positive, you need to Gov quarantine for 14 more days and pay for your stay and medical expenses.   Aruba is making travels do the same AND buy insurance which is $99 per person for those staying 6 days or less and $165/per person for those staying a week

We looked into everything, including Cabo San Lucas but they are closing once again to to US travelers visiting when they reopened in mid-June.  We're pretty much screwing up every place we go.

Most people on this board probably don't even need a passport (I mean, why leave Merica) so this thread probably doesn't impact most.

There are plenty of places that do rapid response testing. Avecina I think is the name. I’m currently in my second week of having it. I’ve shown no symptoms and my temp hasn’t gone above 98.3. But every test I’ve done confirms it. Hopefully I’ll be cleared by Wednesday but until then I’ll be stuck binge watching Netflix shows.
(07-20-2020, 11:15 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]Although one doesn't need a passport to travel to Puerto Rico, we just cancelled our trip there since they are requiring a negative Covid test within 72 hours of arrival --- this is their way of preventing continental US travelers from visiting since everyone knows results are not provided until 5-7 days and sometimes even longer.  As such, one would need to go to Gov quarantine until the results are provided.  If the results are positive, you need to Gov quarantine for 14 more days and pay for your stay and medical expenses.   Aruba is making travels do the same AND buy insurance which is $99 per person for those staying 6 days or less and $165/per person for those staying a week

Nothing like a tinge of condescension to make your argument. Good job!
(07-20-2020, 10:30 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-20-2020, 10:10 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]So you're saying I can take that trip to Europe after all?

Do you want to? Maybe you can go there and see how they are handling COVID-19.

Apparently they're handling it a lot better than we are, since they have now banned us.
(07-20-2020, 11:46 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-20-2020, 10:30 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]Do you want to? Maybe you can go there and see how they are handling COVID-19.

Apparently they're handling it a lot better than we are, since they have now banned us.

They just don't have a media system that hates their own country and calls their leader racist when they shut travel down. Then they say it wasn't done soon enough after the fact.

The US should have shut the borders in Jan, but good luck with that.
Tons of Americans flew to Ireland
(07-20-2020, 11:39 AM)JagsorDie Wrote: [ -> ]

There are plenty of places that do rapid response testing. Avecina I think is the name. I’m currently in my second week of having it. I’ve shown no symptoms and my temp hasn’t gone above 98.3. But every test I’ve done confirms it. Hopefully I’ll be cleared by Wednesday but until then I’ll be stuck binge watching Netflix shows.

Not on Molecular (PCR) Tests that are required for travel purposes -- I should have clarified that in my post above.  Check out the fine print under the avecina website "may take as long as 7 days"

https://www.avecina.com/covid/

Results in less than 24 hours.
Type of Test: Rapid Antigen COVID-19 Test
Certain institutions such as the Bahamian Government may only accept a PCR COVID-19 test to allow entrance. There is currently no such a thing as a “rapid PCR test.” If you specifically require a PCR test, please be aware that results may take as long as 7 days and this test must be done at the office and not our drive through location.

(07-20-2020, 04:16 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-20-2020, 11:39 AM)JagsorDie Wrote: [ -> ]There are plenty of places that do rapid response testing. Avecina I think is the name. I’m currently in my second week of having it. I’ve shown no symptoms and my temp hasn’t gone above 98.3. But every test I’ve done confirms it. Hopefully I’ll be cleared by Wednesday but until then I’ll be stuck binge watching Netflix shows.

Not on Molecular (PCR) Tests that are required for travel purposes -- I should have clarified that in my post above.  Check out the fine print under the avecina website "may take as long as 7 days"

https://www.avecina.com/covid/

Results in less than 24 hours.
Type of Test: Rapid Antigen COVID-19 Test
Certain institutions such as the Bahamian Government may only accept a PCR COVID-19 test to allow entrance. There is currently no such a thing as a “rapid PCR test.” If you specifically require a PCR test, please be aware that results may take as long as 7 days and this test must be done at the office and not our drive through location.

I’ve had a bunch of the antibody test but even the nasal swabs(which absolutely suck to get) I have gotten the results back that day through them. I’ve done a few that were sent off to labcorp but yeah the pcr will take time. 

I’ve been getting the antibody tests once a day because my doc wants to use them to pin point when I contracted and how long it took after I began developing the antigens to get rid of the Covid. Apparently some people are not developing antibodies and they are not showing symptoms so they are literally just carriers and their body isn’t even fighting it off.  

It’s just weird because I am completely asymptomatic. So it basically feels like I am just using my pto for last week and a half.
(07-20-2020, 09:27 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]https://medium.com/@indica/the-plague-st...b20678a80e

Americans now have access to exactly two dozen states, five more (*) if they want to endure a 14-day quarantine on the end. Americans have gone from world power to getting the side-eye from Ecuador in a matter of months. Right now Americans are only really welcome on remote islands or at corralled resorts in Mexico, where they can be isolated from everyone else.

It’s not that other nations don’t want to welcome Americans, they just can’t. The point of a passport is that a sovereign power vouches for its bearer, but America can’t vouch for the health of their citizens at all. America’s public health regime is far less trustworthy than Liberia’s (which is actually quite good). Its sovereign is mad.

At the same time, you can’t trust Americans. Americans have poor hygiene (low masking rate) and at least 40% of the population can’t be trusted to even believe that COVID-19 exists, let alone to take it seriously. They’re likely to refuse testing, not report symptoms, break quarantine, and generally NOT follow rules. Americans have a toxic combination of ignorance and arrogance that makes them unwelcome travelers.

[font=medium-content-serif-font, Georgia, Cambria,]That’s the near future of the United States. An epidemic that spreads largely unchecked until next year. A population too unprotected and ignorant to be allowed anywhere else. A world that largely suppresses the virus — from Mongolia to Ghana to Trinidad & Tobago — but which has to keep America in isolation.[/font]

In the end, Trump did what he said. He built a wall around America and made the world pay for it. He just never told Americans that they’d be stuck inside.

In other news, The United States has completed over 48 million Covid 19 tests, and Sweden has essentially reached Herd Immunity...

(07-20-2020, 11:46 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-20-2020, 10:30 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]Do you want to? Maybe you can go there and see how they are handling COVID-19.

Also in todays news, The US has lower Death per million than every European nation except Germany...  Try again.
(07-21-2020, 12:07 AM)jj82284 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-20-2020, 09:27 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]https://medium.com/@indica/the-plague-st...b20678a80e

In other news, The United States has completed over 48 million Covid 19 tests, and Sweden has essentially reached Herd Immunity...

(07-20-2020, 11:46 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]Apparently they're handling it a lot better than we are, since they have now banned us.

Also in todays news, The US has lower Death per million than every European nation except Germany...  Try again.

I haven't seen any confirmation that Sweden has reached herd immunity, and as to your assertion that the US has a lower death rate than every European nation except Germany, that is not true.  

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104...habitants/

Deaths Per Million of Population (Europe only plus US)

Belgium 858.43
United Kingdom 681.5
Spain 608.3
Italy 580.13
Sweden 553.76
France 450.53
USA 430.1
Ireland 361.18
Netherlands 356.1
Switzerland 231.43
Portugal 164.47
Germany 109.66
Denmark 105.39
Romania 104.65
Austria 80.37
Bosnia and Herzegovina 76.72
Kosovo 75.33
Serbia 69.03
Turkey 66.91
Hungary 61.01
Finland 59.44
Slovenia 54.66

And incidentally, Canada 240.21

If we have another 40,000 deaths, we will exceed Sweden's current total in deaths per million.  If current trends hold, we should reach that total by sometime in late August or mid September.  So although there are currently 6 European nations with total deaths per million worse than the United States, with our cases rising and theirs declining, we should eventually have more deaths per million than they have.  

And more news about Sweden's soft-touch approach to the pandemic:  

https://www.businessinsider.com/sweden-o...own-2020-7

Sweden's prime minister has ordered an inquiry into the country's decision not to impose a coronavirus lockdown after the country suffered thousands more deaths than its closest neighbours.
"We have thousands of dead," Swedish prime minister Stefan Lofven said at a press conference on Wednesday, while admitting that the country's handling had exposed Sweden's "shortcomings," 
"Now the question is how Sweden should change, not if."

Has Sweden achieved herd immunity?  

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2...472100002/

Regardless of whether herd immunity is a goal or a side effect of the Swedish strategy, how has it worked out? Not so well, according to the agency’s own test results. The proportion of Swedes carrying antibodies is estimated to be under 10%, thus nowhere near herd immunity. 

Sweden also has a death toll more than four and a half times greater than that of the other four Nordic countries combined — more than seven times greater per million inhabitants.

So, again, we are probably going to have at least as many deaths per million as Sweden, despite the fact that we locked down the economy and they didn't.  That makes on thing very clear: we blew the lockdown.  We wasted trillions of dollars and put millions of people out of work, and in spite of that, we could pretty soon be leading the world in deaths per million.  How can we count that as a success?????