Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Chinese consulate in Houston ordered closed in 72 hours
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The only reason given so far is for protection of American intellectual property. This should get interesting since the Chinese have already vowed retaliatory action. 

https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/...98d0f4065c

HOUSTON — China says the United States government this week ordered it to abruptly close its Houston consulate in what it called a "provocation" that violates international law.
"We have directed the closure of PRC Consulate General Houston, in order to protect American intellectual property and American’s private information," stated State Department Spokesperson Morgan Ortagus early Wednesday.

The New York Times reported that the Chinese government issued a warning that it would retaliate for the closure.
A source told KHOU 11 the consulate is being evicted by 4 p.m. Friday. A Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson said the U.S. had demanded Tuesday the consulate cease operations. He said that China strongly condemns “such an outrageous and unjustified move that will sabotage China-US relations.”
But the State Department said consulates must respect American laws and not interfere in internal affairs:
"The Vienna Convention states diplomats must 'respect the laws and regulations of the receiving State' and 'have a duty not to interfere in the internal affairs of that State.' The United States will not tolerate the PRC’s violations of our sovereignty and intimidation of our people, just as we have not tolerated the PRC’s unfair trade practices, theft of American jobs, and other egregious behavior. President Trump insists on fairness and reciprocity in U.S.-China relations," stated Ortagus on Wednesday.
Where will Mark Cuban go to do business now? Not sure if there is one in Dallas.
More developments. I have a feeling we're going to hear more about this, especially after the Chinese decide on how they want to retaliate. Probably by closing one our consulates there. 

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/202...nt-massiv/

Sen. Marco Rubio, Florida Republican, on Wednesday said the Chinese consulate in Houston is basically a front for a massive spy operation after the State Department ordered the consulate to close.

“So this consulate is basically a front. … It’s kind of [the] central node of a massive spy operation — commercial espionage, defense espionage — also influence agents to try to influence Congress,” Mr. Rubio, the acting chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, said on Fox Business Network.

Mr. Rubio said the closure was “long overdue.”...
I'm sure the Dems will oppose it.
It's past time something of this nature occurred. A true case of too damn little way too damn late. China has been steeling nations technology for far to long.

Some say the largest transfer of wealth ever.
(07-22-2020, 12:39 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sure the Dems will oppose it.

I'm sure they called Nancy 1st before even telling mainland China it was happening

She'll have it back up and running in a day or 2 out of California.
Good close all of them communist China has no intention of being peaceful trade partners cut them off
(07-22-2020, 12:50 PM)Jagwired Wrote: [ -> ]It's past time something of this nature occurred. A true case of too damn little way too damn late. China has been steeling nations technology for far to long.

Some say the largest transfer of wealth ever.

It's disturbing that people are high on a presidential candidate who will kill our momentum of actually standing up to China and sending things back to the status quo.
I see our resident progressives are waiting for their talking points.
(07-22-2020, 03:32 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]I see our resident progressives are waiting for their talking points.

Lemon and Cuomo will lead the way for them tonight.
Honestly I don't think this is interesting. China has an embassy here and a few other consulates. There must have been a specific problem in the Houston location. I don't know the details, and I don't need to.
If the US was kicking out lots of diplomats or closing every consulate, I'd be a bit more worried, but only to the extent that it might indicate war is coming. I hope we never go to war with China.
This is very interesting.  The "war" regarding intellectual property as well as stealing State secrets is far and wide.

While it may not be PC I scrutinize and watch people very closely from certain countries carefully in my workplace... even if they are citizens.
(07-22-2020, 03:32 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]I see our resident progressives are waiting for their talking points.

Waiting for the facts obviously is a new concept.

Although with this administration you don't really get facts? So may as well jump in now?
What I gather from Rubio's statement is this was the nerve center of their espionage and theft operations on U.S. soil. Purely conjecture on my part but perhaps the reason for insisting on the quick shutdown is to 1) not allow them to discreetly reestablish operations in another location and 2) see what effect it has on their operations and to observe movement/transfer of key equipment and personnel.
(07-22-2020, 05:23 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]This is very interesting.  The "war" regarding intellectual property as well as stealing State secrets is far and wide.

While it may not be PC I scrutinize and watch people very closely from certain countries carefully in my workplace... even if they are citizens.

Meh, ain't nobody going to war over Autodesk's bottom line, that I'll tell you now.