Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Rashaan Melvin opts out
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
There goes the season (R. Melvin opts out) --- on March 24, 2020 Melvin and the Jags agreed to a 1-year $2.25 million dollar contract.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2960...020-season

[Image: usatsi_13428259.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1]
It was never going to be much of a season, IMO, but it still sucks. Wanted to see the revamped secondary in action.
Virtually assures that our startes will be: Henderson, Herndon & Hayden at the Nickel. I think Luq Barcoo might stick as a UDFA, and Josiah Scott as the 5th CB to be groomed as Hayden's replacement.

Also considering how small Melvin's contract was if he was getting outplayed by the young guys, it makes a lot of sense to take the year off (especially with the current pandemic and health concerns) pocket the $150,000 guaranteed and come back next year in good shape and fresh to try and stick, and if he does end up getting cut he's $150,000 richer and doesn't put him or his family at risk while If he stuck around and got cut he'd get nothing (guaranteed $ not withstanding)
One thing this pandemic has told me...

there are a LOT more cowards than I thought there were.
Conversely, it's taught me there's a lot more know-it-all [BLEEP].
(08-07-2020, 09:46 AM)Firesky Wrote: [ -> ]Virtually assures that our startes will be: Henderson, Herndon & Hayden at the Nickel. I think Luq Barcoo might stick as a UDFA, and Josiah Scott as the 5th CB to be groomed as Hayden's replacement.

Also considering how small Melvin's contract was if he was getting outplayed by the young guys, it makes a lot of sense to take the year off (especially with the current pandemic and health concerns) pocket the $150,000 guaranteed and come back next year in good shape and fresh to try and stick, and if he does end up getting cut he's $150,000 richer and doesn't put him or his family at risk while If he stuck around and got cut he'd get nothing (guaranteed $ not withstanding)

If he doesn't have a contract next season, he has to pay the $150,000 back. Now it will be up to the Jags to collect the money though.
(08-07-2020, 10:57 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]One thing this pandemic has told me...

A lot are financially savvy as they are on 1-year contracts.  Thus, if a person is contracted to make $2 million this season (which is at risk of being cut short), they may make a lot less than $2 million if there are only a few games prior to being cancelled, then their contract expires.  If they opt out, the get $150k and make their full $2 million next season.  If a player is struggling to make a team (like Alan Hurns) they get $150k this season and prolongs their career by another year whereas if they are out of football next season, they probably make a lot less than $150k as the enter their post-NFL career
(08-07-2020, 10:57 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]One thing this pandemic has told me...

Maybe they have close relatives or children that have conditions that make them high risk.  I don't think NFL players opt out to protect themselves.  I think they opt out to protect their loved ones.
(08-07-2020, 12:41 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]

there are a LOT more cowards than I thought there were. Confused Wallbash

Maybe they have close relatives or children that have conditions that make them high risk.  I don't think NFL players opt out to protect themselves.  I think they opt out to protect their loved ones.

Exactly!

Because cowards play football at high level...
(08-07-2020, 11:48 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]

A lot are financially savvy as they are on 1-year contracts.  Thus, if a person is contracted to make $2 million this season (which is at risk of being cut short), they may make a lot less than $2 million if there are only a few games prior to being cancelled, then their contract expires.  If they opt out, the get $150k and make their full $2 million next season.  If a player is struggling to make a team (like Alan Hurns) they get $150k this season and prolongs their career by another year whereas if they are out of football next season, they probably make a lot less than $150k as the enter their post-NFL career

There are some issues with that. The $150,000 is not free money. It is an advance on next years salary, so it is deducted from the $2 million. If the $2 million is not guaranteed, they can just cut the player after this season and then the player owes the team $150,000. Unless a player needs another year in the league to qualify for benefits, there is no good financial reason to sit out for most players.
Last season, they kept 5 CBs on the 53 following final cuts. Assuming they keep the same number, 4 should be locks in Henderson, Hayden, Herndon, and Scott. With Melvin's opt out, the 5th CB spot is wide open now. Nickerson has blazing speed, but has yet to really put it together for 3 teams. Watson was put on the 53 during the season, and had some special teams success. But, the undrafted Barcoo has the nose for the ball that would be perfect for that development 5th spot. I think he'd be snatched pretty quick by another team in need if they put him on the practice squad. My early vote is for Barcoo.
Barcoo has an opportunity to get the 5th spot. Unless we get another CB during cut downs.
Who?
His decision is truly respected. But the question is, would he have made a difference?

NH3...
People opting out are not true football players, as you don't see ones that dominate opt out. These all seem to be in in for the business.

If you’re talking about Melvin...
I’m putting money on the fact that your wouldn’t call him a coward to his face.
It’s easy to do that on the internet behind the safety of your screen... so who’s the real coward?
(08-10-2020, 06:43 AM)SuperJville Wrote: [ -> ]

If you’re talking about Melvin...
It’s easy to do that on the internet behind the safety of your screen... so who’s the real coward?

I bet he probably would. He also said nothing about physical strength. There are physical and mental cowards out there.  Granted, there are a LOT of internet/keyboard warriors out there but there are just as many perceived tough guys out there who crumble just as soon as you crack them in the mouth.  Just because a guy plays football does not equate to physical strength.

God you're stupid.
(08-10-2020, 09:16 AM)NCJag Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-10-2020, 06:43 AM)SuperJville Wrote: [ -> ]If you’re talking about Melvin...

I bet he probably would. He also said nothing about physical strength. There are physical and mental cowards out there.  Granted, there are a LOT of internet/keyboard warriors out there but there are just as many perceived tough guys out there who crumble just as soon as you crack them in the mouth.  Just because a guy plays football does not equate to physical strength.

Yea, look at Jonathan Martin/Dolphins. I always thought the argument that you can't criticize someone if you can't beat them up in a fight to be kind of a nonstarter. It's a close cousin of you can't criticize a pro player's ability if you yourself can't play the sport at their level. Maybe it's from the same family tree as my daddy can beat up your daddy that originates in grade school.
(08-11-2020, 08:47 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-10-2020, 09:16 AM)NCJag Wrote: [ -> ]I bet he probably would. He also said nothing about physical strength. There are physical and mental cowards out there.  Granted, there are a LOT of internet/keyboard warriors out there but there are just as many perceived tough guys out there who crumble just as soon as you crack them in the mouth.  Just because a guy plays football does not equate to physical strength.

Yea, look at Jonathan Martin/Dolphins. I always thought the argument that you can't criticize someone if you can't beat them up in a fight to be kind of a nonstarter. It's a close cousin of you can't criticize a pro player's ability if you yourself can't play the sport at their level. Maybe it's from the same family tree as my daddy can beat up your daddy that originates in grade school.

Possibly. I almost referenced Martin in my original post.  Guy is 6’5/300+ and just soft. Then you have Royce Gracie at 175lbs tapping guys 30lbs+ over him. Some dudes are just HARD. And some aren’t.
Pages: 1 2