Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Analyzing the 1010XL Caldwell Interview regarding Yannick
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
1010XL had an interview with Dave Caldwell on Tuesday the 11th. Here's the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxx6PedI6g8

The Yannick portion runs from 3:38 to 6:40.  My reading of this and other things that have happened in last few days (like firing his agent) lead me to believe the outcome that is coming is a trade, not him joining the team for the season.

1. Obviously something is happening with the change of agents
2. Yannick is talking to Caldwell but has NOT talked to Marrone. One would think if a return was imminent he would be talking to the coach.
3. Caldwell is obviously trying to be "neutral" in what he says.  But in discussing this a couple phrases stood out.

He referred to options of both staying with club and going elsewhere, but he sure spent a lot more time on saying we have to get what we need to say goodbye.
    Maybe Freudian, but he once referred to "Yan and the other 53 players". As if Yan won't be part of the 53.
    He referred to us an being #2 in cap space next year.  We are #3 and almost 10 million behind #2.  That is without a Yannick salary. Seems fairly reasonable we couldn't get to #2 with an additional 17 million or so for Yannick. So it seems his 2021 cap thinking doesn't include him.
Do you think there is any antipathy between he and Marrone. or is there some other reason why the two haven't talked? I know a guy who theorizes Yannick can't stand Marrone, but outside of that, I haven't heard anything to that effect.

I think Dave has done a good job putting a neitral face on this, and has always publicly been very respectful to Yan in all of the interviews I have heard. He has lots of different considerations here. If he really wants Yan to stay, he has to be as respectful as possible towards him. At one point, he said "Yan is in a really tough situation here." It seemed sympathetic in tone.

He also has to be respectful if he wants any hope of maximizing any trade value if it comes to that. When he talks about getting what we need to say goodbye. it is consistent with that goal. He has always set a high price for trading Yan away. The talk was always at least a 1st round pick. I don't think he deviates from that. Teams will only get more desperate from here as the season progresses.

As for the cap space, unless I missed it, I don't think he said his goal was to be #2 in cap space. Cap space is usually tied to revenue. This year, no matter if a full season is played or not, a revenue drop will seemingly be inevitable. Depending on that, you could see some teams heading into next year very snug against the cap, and other teams that will be over until cuts, trades and restructurings are done. We've already purged some expensive contracts this year, and can purge more after this year. So it's possible with our without Yan, we can be #2 in cap space by the start of the '21 league year.
Interesting. Thanks for the share.
Not talking to the HC isnt really a big deal at this time... I would think that only means he's trying to take care of the business side of things first...Ive never heard there was a problem between Yan and Marrone, so there might not be anything that needs said between the two, and all that needs taken care of is the business side...That being said, I don't hear everything that's said, especially anything said behind closed doors, so there could be a disconnect or problem with the HC or someone else on the coaching staff or even Caldwell or Khan
It really sounds like Yan wants out and theres nothing that's really going to change his mind. We dont want to lose him, especially for nothing and are stuck in this trap where no-one wins.
(08-14-2020, 12:38 PM)wrong_box Wrote: [ -> ]Not talking to the HC isnt really a big deal at this time... I would think that only means he's trying to take care of the business side of things first...Ive never heard there was a problem between Yan and Marrone, so there might not be anything that needs said between the two, and all that needs taken care of is the business side...That being said, I don't hear everything that's said, especially anything said behind closed doors, so there could be a disconnect or problem with the HC or someone else on the coaching staff or even Caldwell or Khan

(08-14-2020, 12:55 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: [ -> ]It really sounds like Yan wants out and theres nothing that's really going to change his mind. We dont want to lose him, especially for nothing and are stuck in this trap where no-one wins.

wrong_box, you are likely absolutely right with your take. Not being an "insider" I don;t know the protocols/usual practices in these situation.

JF81, I hope you are wrong, and he and the team find a way to resolve it amicably...even if Yan plays on the tender this year, his stance softens over the course of the season then he signs a long term deal. But at thispoint I am more inclined to agree with your take.
(08-14-2020, 01:11 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-14-2020, 12:38 PM)wrong_box Wrote: [ -> ]Not talking to the HC isnt really a big deal at this time... I would think that only means he's trying to take care of the business side of things first...Ive never heard there was a problem between Yan and Marrone, so there might not be anything that needs said between the two, and all that needs taken care of is the business side...That being said, I don't hear everything that's said, especially anything said behind closed doors, so there could be a disconnect or problem with the HC or someone else on the coaching staff or even Caldwell or Khan

(08-14-2020, 12:55 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: [ -> ]It really sounds like Yan wants out and theres nothing that's really going to change his mind. We dont want to lose him, especially for nothing and are stuck in this trap where no-one wins.

wrong_box, you are likely absolutely right with your take.  Not being an "insider" I don;t know the protocols/usual practices in these situation.

JF81, I hope you are wrong, and he and the team find a way to resolve it amicably...even if Yan plays on the tender this year, his stance softens over the course of the season then he signs a long term deal.  But at thispoint I am more inclined to agree with your take.

Hey Bullseye, long time. Hope your going ok bud.

I hope I'm wrong too. At no point has Yan seemed to indicate he has changed his mind and he played out his contract and now we tagged him. 

The big problem is he is worth a 1st when playing well but no one will give that with everything going on. The best path I see is Yan coming back for the year, put yourself back on teams radar and whatever the best offer we get at the end of the year we part ways. 

I want Yan here for a career but I just cant see it sadly.
Per Overthecap.com for 2021, the Jags are currently #2 in cap space, not #3...

Top 5:
Indy $113.2m
Jax $86.2m
Pats $74.9
Jets $73.9m
Bungles $66.2m
I use Spotrac for cap numbers. But let's take yours. If you add Yannick at 17 million to yours, that's takes us down to $69 million or 5th place. I still think when Dave is envisioning 2021 cap number it doesn't include Yan.
(08-14-2020, 03:47 PM)newporttom Wrote: [ -> ]I use Spotrac for cap numbers. But let's take yours. If you add Yannick at 17 million to yours, that's takes us down to $69 million or 5th place. I still think when Dave is envisioning 2021 cap number it doesn't include Yan.

I definitely have not dug into it, but it seems like it could go a few ways:

He is projecting signing Yan, while projecting other likely extensions/ signings by other teams, and the cap shakes out as described.
or
He is not projecting at all and simply going with numbers as they stand.
or
He is following your thought process and assuming Yan is gone.
(08-14-2020, 02:19 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-14-2020, 01:11 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]wrong_box, you are likely absolutely right with your take.  Not being an "insider" I don;t know the protocols/usual practices in these situation.

JF81, I hope you are wrong, and he and the team find a way to resolve it amicably...even if Yan plays on the tender this year, his stance softens over the course of the season then he signs a long term deal.  But at this point I am more inclined to agree with your take.

Hey Bullseye, long time. Hope your going ok bud.

I hope I'm wrong too. At no point has Yan seemed to indicate he has changed his mind and he played out his contract and now we tagged him. 

The big problem is he is worth a 1st when playing well but no one will give that with everything going on. The best path I see is Yan coming back for the year, put yourself back on teams radar and whatever the best offer we get at the end of the year we part ways. 

Things could be worse, but football withdrawal is driving me out of my mind.  Football withdrawal aside, I hope all is well with you and everyone else.

Barring an early season injury to a starter around the league, I think Yan plays the season on the tender this year.  If we trade him away, while ordinarily I'd want him out of the conference, I would be happy with one of those first rounders for the Jets if we absolutely HAVE to trade him.
Thanks for sharing, interesting stuff. Definitely sounds like something is brewing in the Yan department... I think you're probably right that a trade is still the most likely outcome, but I definitely think the possibility of the team and Yan reconciling is higher than it was a few weeks ago... Still slim, but there at least seems to be a possibility now.

Imo a trade is not the end of the world as long as we get suitable compensation... With Allen ready to become the leader of this defense, Chaison who will grow into his role, and Smoot who is deserving of more snaps, it's really the only position group on D that I'm kinda comfortable with.

And linebackers I guess...
(08-14-2020, 12:38 PM)wrong_box Wrote: [ -> ]... so there could be a disconnect or problem with the HC or someone else on the coaching staff or even Caldwell or Khan

Does anyone think that our defensive players lack confidence/complete trust in Wash? With the exception of the 2017 season, we have been dismal for years. The 2017 defensive was an exception and could only be sustained with virtually every player on the field being pro ball quality. And obviously that could never be sustained with having to pay everyone.

Calais was a true optimist and praised Wash in the media, as well as some other players. But I just wonder what if some (such as Yannick) have lost faith in him. Maybe tired of giving their blood, sweat, and tears for a failing scheme/defensive plan.
(08-15-2020, 10:57 AM)Flagler Jagsfan Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-14-2020, 12:38 PM)wrong_box Wrote: [ -> ]... so there could be a disconnect or problem with the HC or someone else on the coaching staff or even Caldwell or Khan

Does anyone think that our defensive players lack confidence/complete trust in Wash? With the exception of the 2017 season, we have been dismal for years. The 2017 defensive was an exception and could only be sustained with virtually every player on the field being pro ball quality. And obviously that could never be sustained with having to pay everyone.     

Calais was a true optimist and praised Wash in the media, as well as some other players. But I just wonder what if some (such as Yannick) have lost faith in him. Maybe tired of giving their blood, sweat, and tears for a failing scheme/defensive plan.   
   This.
no real new info from caldwell there
Hope all is well for this fan base. I am here in DFW and Jerry World. The organization is optimistic about 50% capacity and opening for the season. Are you guys having regular football talk in J'ville and regular Yannick stuff? Just an odd place this year with all the college shutting down.
(08-15-2020, 10:57 AM)Flagler Jagsfan Wrote: [ -> ]

I'd wager around half of the defensive starters have had at least some sort of gripe with Wash over the past few years based on his scheme and his calls at some point.

Not so sure that's part of the deal with Yannick though. 

The front 4 hasn't really been an issue in Wash's scheme and he ramped up his blitzing and pressure last year. It's the guys in the back seven that would make sense to have more of a gripe with Wash IMO.
(08-14-2020, 06:17 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-14-2020, 02:19 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey Bullseye, long time. Hope your going ok bud.

Things could be worse, but football withdrawal is driving me out of my mind.  Football withdrawal aside, I hope all is well with you and everyone else.

Barring an early season injury to a starter around the league, I think Yan plays the season on the tender this year.  If we trade him away, while ordinarily I'd want him out of the conference, I would be happy with one of those first rounders for the Jets if we absolutely HAVE to trade him.

I get that. I've missed my sports talk SOOOO MUCH!! Just been replaced with Covid talk. 

Yeah, weirdly this whole coronavirus situation has saved us from an off season of Yan vs the Front Office in the media. I wish I knew what his issue was, weve all guessed in the past but he doesnt seem to be able to get past it.

I see Ramsey and the Rams are having a few problems with his contract. Who would have guessed?!