Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Liberals scold Washington Post
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Liberals scold Washington Post for placing pro-Trump, anti-Biden ad on homepage: ‘How dare you?'

Professor asks Post, 'Were these pieces of silver worth the price of your soul?'

Liberal Washington Post readers were shocked on Thursday when the paper’s website featured a massive Trump Campaign ad declaring that Kamala Harris’s addition to the Democratic ticket proves “the radical leftist takeover of Joe Biden is complete.”

https://www.foxnews.com/media/washington...i-biden-ad
I don't want to start a new thread and this seems as good a place as any since it concerns grammar usage. In journalistic articles, when referring to race, I now see the word Black with initial capitalization but white in all lower case. Are the rules of grammar now subject political correctness?

Here's an example from today's T-U:

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/news/...620995002/

"Yet he strikes a hopeful note, pointing, for example, to the makeup of demonstrators demanding change in protests across the country this year.

“What you see is a picture of America. You see Black, you see white, young, old, Asian, every kind of America is out there in those streets, demonstrating. That says a lot to people like me,” he said. “I’ve always been optimistic. I’ve always been a believer in the supremacy of this country.”"

I know some on here attempt to paint this as a racist rant, but it's on honest question. Are the rules of grammar now changed?
(08-23-2020, 07:44 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]I don't want to start a new thread and this seems as good a place as any since it concerns grammar usage. In journalistic articles, when referring to race, I now see the word Black with initial capitalization but white in all lower case. Are the rules of grammar now subject political correctness?

Here's an example from today's T-U:

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/news/...620995002/

"Yet he strikes a hopeful note, pointing, for example, to the makeup of demonstrators demanding change in protests across the country this year.

“What you see is a picture of America. You see Black, you see white, young, old, Asian, every kind of America is out there in those streets, demonstrating. That says a lot to people like me,” he said. “I’ve always been optimistic. I’ve always been a believer in the supremacy of this country.”"

I know some on here attempt to paint this as a racist rant, but it's on honest question. Are the rules of grammar now changed?

Yes, It is an Interesting world out there. Good ol' fashion deluge is needed rather quickly
Some colors are more equal than others.
I emailed the writers asking about this curious grammar change and was sent this link:

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/news/.../41744089/
(08-23-2020, 10:01 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]I emailed the writers asking about this curious grammar change and was sent this link:

As I said.
(08-23-2020, 10:01 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]I emailed the writers asking about this curious grammar change and was sent this link:

(08-23-2020, 10:19 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]

As I said.
It's been done everywhere, coming down from the top. The AP made the change in late June so everyone else took their orders.

Just shows more and more that news, education, and government jobs have been taken over by liberals willing to do anything to push their views on everyone else.

If you thought news was already liberal, just wait until the latest college grads push out the older editors and writers. It's already started at some papers and the less crazy ones are being forced out for group think, twitter agreement, and if you don't agree with the group think you either keep your mouth shut or they pick through everything you have ever written to find something to cancel you.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Wow this may be a new low.

Hopefully the white continues to stay lower case as I don't want to be associated with you snowflakes
(08-23-2020, 11:34 PM)lastonealive Wrote: [ -> ]Wow this may be a new low.

Hopefully the white continues to stay lower case as I don't want to be associated with you snowflakes

Would you care to explain for us why this particular change to the Style Guide is ok? I'm mean, aside for you saying it doesn't matter, I'd really like to know your reasoning.

Buwwwahahaha!! Laughing Laughing Words of a pommy. Brought to you by the new movie " Dude, wheres my country".
So the media is not capitalizing "Black" when they talk about black people, but they're not capitalizing "white" when they talk about white people?

I'm in my usual position on this. I don't understand why they are doing that, and I don't understand why anyone is upset that they are doing it.
(08-24-2020, 10:52 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]So the media is not capitalizing "Black" when they talk about black people, but they're not capitalizing "white" when they talk about white people?

I'm in my usual position on this.  I don't understand why they are doing that, and I don't understand why anyone is upset that they are doing it.

I don't think anyone is upset, but it begs the question about what exactly does changing the rules of grammar supposed to accomplish. Does one disparity fix another disparity? Does this not qualify as racism itself? It's a sophomoric gesture to a deeper problem.
(08-24-2020, 10:52 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]So the media is not capitalizing "Black" when they talk about black people, but they're not capitalizing "white" when they talk about white people?

I'm in my usual position on this.  I don't understand why they are doing that, and I don't understand why anyone is upset that they are doing it.

That's the thing, there must be a reason why they are doing it, so what is it? And does that reason point to a perspective that could lead to difficulty for me in the future if I don't oppose it now?
I look at it this way. I have multiple ethnoracial identifiers you could use, and most of them are capitalized. There's American, of course, and for me there's also Jewish and Swedish (I'm a mutt). All capitalized. A Nigerian person gets a capitalized identifier unique to them. So does a Jamaican person. But what about the descendants of slaves here? They're American, of course, more specifically African American. But that's a mouthful, and they don't really have much connection to Africa except a genetic one. Their unique culture is something they created here out of a lot of totally separate parts of African culture, along with English culture. I think that all deserves a capitalized identifier that's unique to them.
(08-24-2020, 11:55 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]

That's the thing, there must be a reason why they are doing it, so what is it? And does that reason point to a perspective that could lead to difficulty for me in the future if I don't oppose it now?

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia1.tenor.com%2Fimag...f=1&nofb=1]
(08-24-2020, 09:39 AM)Jagwired Wrote: [ -> ]

Buwwwahahaha!! Laughing Laughing Words of a pommy. Brought to you by the new movie " Dude, wheres my country".

Might want to google who the head of state is in Australia.
(08-24-2020, 09:33 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]

Would you care to explain for us why this particular change to the Style Guide is ok? I'm mean, aside for you saying it doesn't matter, I'd really like to know your reasoning.

Could argue it's racist to capitalise. Who cares?
(08-24-2020, 02:58 PM)lastonealive Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-24-2020, 09:33 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Would you care to explain for us why this particular change to the Style Guide is ok? I'm mean, aside for you saying it doesn't matter, I'd really like to know your reasoning.

Could argue it's racist to capitalise. Who cares?

As I assumed. Thanks!
(08-24-2020, 03:41 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-24-2020, 02:58 PM)lastonealive Wrote: [ -> ]Could argue it's racist to capitalise. Who cares?

As I assumed. Thanks!

No problem snowflake! Anything else I can help you get offended by?
(08-24-2020, 05:49 PM)lastonealive Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-24-2020, 03:41 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]As I assumed. Thanks!

No problem snowflake! Anything else I can help you get offended by?

Lol, you don't have what it takes to offend me.