Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Dabo Swinney to the Jags???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Apologies if it has already been discussed but I’ve read a few articles mentioning that Dabo would possibly follow Lawrence if the jags end up drafting him.

Most of the evidence they use comes from our cap space and large number of draft picks. Basically if the jags suck bad enough to get Lawrence, Dabo could find the jags as an attractive fit if he wants to make the jump to the nfl.

I am in no way pulling for my home team to tank and I’m still on board with minshew. But if the wheels fall off this year( which is looking more and more likely with every move they make), this presents a slight bright side. 

Link
That seems like a huge stretch for me.  We would have to have the #1 overall pick (could happen) to guarantee he got Lawrence, and then there is no guarantee he'd be any good in the pros anyway.  I'd rather get a progressive thinking, young GM and head coach combo who can bring some excitement here.  Just my 2 cents.
(09-01-2020, 12:21 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: [ -> ]That seems like a huge stretch for me.  We would have to have the #1 overall pick (could happen) to guarantee he got Lawrence, and then there is no guarantee he'd be any good in the pros anyway.  I'd rather get a progressive thinking, young GM and head coach combo who can bring some excitement here.  Just my 2 cents.

I get your point. The only coach I feel that would fit that mold is Lincoln Riley. 

I think Dabo is sort of a high energy guy. But like the article says, Dabo would be more  like a Pete Carrol than a Gus Bradley. Give him Lawrence and a decent haul of talent out of FA and next years draft and I think he would be good.
(09-01-2020, 12:27 AM)JagsorDie Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-01-2020, 12:21 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: [ -> ]That seems like a huge stretch for me.  We would have to have the #1 overall pick (could happen) to guarantee he got Lawrence, and then there is no guarantee he'd be any good in the pros anyway.  I'd rather get a progressive thinking, young GM and head coach combo who can bring some excitement here.  Just my 2 cents.

I get your point. The only coach I feel that would fit that mold is Lincoln Riley. 

I think Dabo is sort of a high energy guy. But like the article says, Dabo would be more  like a Pete Carrol than a Gus Bradley. Give him Lawrence and a decent haul of talent out of FA and next years draft and I think he would be good.
He isn't a X and O coach. He is nothing but a program manager. His teams are successful because they have the top assistant HC and generally no one has left the program. He isn't leaving unless the assistants all decide to bail.

That doesn't translate to the NFL well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
He doesn't want to come here. Nobody does. It's gonna take years and possibly a new owner to repair this team's reputation around the league.
We are too cheap. We've never paid a coach over $5 million.

It would be super intriguing in a similar sense that Pete Carroll brought a lot of energy to Seattle when he arrived from USC. It does seem like we need leadership that players respect.
He’s more of a college football program guy. I don’t think his methods are applicable to the NFL. Average but experienced NFL coaches will run circles around Dabo
(09-01-2020, 03:49 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]He doesn't want to come here. Nobody does. It's gonna take years and possibly a new owner to repair this team's reputation around the league.

Robert Saleh would be my choice with his history and experience. If the niners get into the playoffs again, Saleh will be a one candidate being interviewed for a HC job somewhere, especially being a minority candidate. He brings the JUICE as well. 

IMO I think he would take the Jaguars job if offered.
(09-01-2020, 10:51 AM)JAGFAN4EVER! Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-01-2020, 03:49 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]He doesn't want to come here. Nobody does. It's gonna take years and possibly a new owner to repair this team's reputation around the league.

Robert Saleh would be my choice with his history and experience. If the niners get into the playoffs again, Saleh will be a one candidate being interviewed for a HC job somewhere, especially being a minority candidate. He brings the JUICE as well. 

IMO I think he would take the Jaguars job if offered.

A defensive minded coach, great! just what we need.
(09-01-2020, 09:46 AM)jaglyn Wrote: [ -> ]He’s more of a college football program guy. I don’t think his methods are applicable to the NFL. Average but experienced NFL coaches will run circles around Dabo

But Dabo brings his own GUTS! lol

Maybe we can draft all Clemson players and try to be a Clemson dynasty of the NFL 
Rolleyes
(09-01-2020, 12:09 PM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-01-2020, 09:46 AM)jaglyn Wrote: [ -> ]He’s more of a college football program guy. I don’t think his methods are applicable to the NFL. Average but experienced NFL coaches will run circles around Dabo

But Dabo brings his own GUTS! lol

Maybe we can draft all Clemson players and try to be a Clemson dynasty of the NFL 
Rolleyes

If the Jags got the defensive coaching staff and then hired a top OC, it may work. Dabo on his own is a failed college coach that almost got fired before he found some assistant coaches to fix the program.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Clemson is a better job than Jaguars.
(09-01-2020, 07:59 PM)Rockman1966 Wrote: [ -> ]Clemson is a better job than Jaguars.

Not really. In Jacksonville, you can fail over and over and over again and the owner and G.M. never fire you. You have job security.
(09-02-2020, 07:42 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-01-2020, 07:59 PM)Rockman1966 Wrote: [ -> ]Clemson is a better job than Jaguars.

Not really. In Jacksonville, you can fail over and over and over again and the owner and G.M. never fire you. You have job security.

Lol