Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Impressions From the Colts Game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Thanks to Covid, we had no pro days, the draft was held at the Commisioner's house, there was no minicamps, no open training camps, just a weird start to the season.  But despite all of the problems and issues, the regular season made it to a football starved fan base.  Would the results be as weird as the offseason a nd preseason were? 

1.  One of the things at stake for the franchise is the future of the QB position, as many observers believe that the team will be the worst in the league and is promed to draft QB Trevor Lawrence with the first overall pick.  However, Minshew produced what...19-20 3 TDs and 0 INTs, and made a strong statement that the Jaguars should pin their immediate and future hopes to him.  Not much to complain about with a performance like that.

2.  I don't think this was a dominant performance by the defense, but it certainly was scrappy.  The Colts seemed destined to be unstoppable, yet the Jaguars came up with big stop after big stop in the game, whether it was the short yardage inside the ten, CJ's INT early, or Wingard's INT late. 

3.  I am uncertain what Gruden is like as a playcaller after seeing him just this game for the Jaguars.  But based upon what I've seen, he has to get a ton of credit fot the Jaguars' win today.  On two of Minshew's TDs, WRs were running WIDE open.  I would like to see how those plays were designed, but that was key.

4.  The offense allowed 3 sacks, but without going back, I am unsure how to apportion blame.  I know Taylor's guy got inside of hi on that first sack, but I seem to recall the TE releasing inside of him.  I don't know if Taylor stepped extra wide outside to accommodate the TE's release or what, but that did not look good.  Cam Robinson gave up a sack to Justin Houston, but you could make the argument that had Minshew been able to step up in the pocket on that play, Robinson would have had him blocked.  Nevertheless, I still don't feel overly comfortable with the OL today.

5.  The scariest part of the game was Josh Allen staying down with the injury.  Fortunately, the report was that he had cramps and he returned to the game later.  But our pass rush was diminished going into this game with the trades of Yannick Ngakoue and Calais Campbell.  I would hate to see Allen gone long terms due to injury.  I'm releived beyond measure he is okay.

6.  I was mildly shocked that Westbrook was a healthy scratch.  Conversely, it seems Cole has won the confidence of the coaches again.

7.  Rookie Watch

I.  C.J. Henderson-I had my apprehensions about the pick when it was made.  Getting those reports from camo about him being beaten by Cole did not help my confidence in the pick.  But if his performance today is any indicia of what's to come from him, I feel a ton better.  He had his first career INT, a key drive killing play that kept the Jaguars in the game early.  He tackled very well, including stopping a receiver one yard short of a first down.  His performance in this area addressed the biggest critique of his game during the pre-draft process.  He overcame a possible concussion, returning to the game for the game clinching pass breakup.  Outstanding job by the rookie.

II.  K'Lavon Chaisson-another guy I was not thrilled to see us draft.  He performed about up to my expectations, not doing too much.  I saw plays where he was completely locked down by Castonzo once the LT got his hands on him.  Chaisson DID make one play-the INT that was negated by a ticky tack at best penalty.  Unlike Henderson, Chaisson will has to improve

III.  LaViska Shenault-Seemingly all of Jag nation was eager to see Shenault, and his first game performance was solid.  Much of the speculation about him is that the Jaguars would use him any number of ways.  Indeed, the Jaguars lined him up at QB in a wildcat formation, out wide, and in the slot.  He caught his first TD on a slant.  Did not have any big time plays or yardage, but made an impact, which is what you want.

IV.  Devon Hamilton-I did not see him get too much action, but one play stuck out to me.  In the second half, the Colts ran to the left.  Hamilton maintained his gap and he strung the run out wide and finally made the tackle short of the first down.  He showed good hustle and enthusiasm on the play.  His pursuit made me smile.

V.  Ben Bartch-Saw him on the bench but did not see him play.

VI.  Josiah Scot-I did not notice him much at all.

VII.  Collin Johnson-had a nice 3r d down catch across the middle for a first down.  Liked the backflip he did when we were in victory formation., though I do not want to see him do that again until we reach the Super Bowl.

VIII.  Daniel Thomas-did not notice him much

IX.  Jake Luton-Did not see him play.  Do not think he was active.  Glennon was the backup.

X.  Tyler Davis-I think he was inactive due to a knee injury

XI.  Chris Claybrooks-Wearing Rashean's and Fournette's #27, he had a couple of returns and a nice coverage on a couple of plays.

XII.  James Robinson-in many ways, he was the most anticipated rookie, since Leonard Fournette was cut.  As far as first impressions go, it was quite a favorable one.  What little we heard about him, we were told he had great vision.  Not only was that true, we also saw that he had the lateral quickness to exploit that vision and hit holes LF might not have reached.  Though he was shut down in the second half, he had a jaw dropping catch and run where he leaped over/between two Colts defenders for a first down and another 10-15 yards.  I think our running game is in good hands with him.

8.  Phenomenal that Lambo has been so automatic for us!

9.  Despite that, kick coverage could stand some improvement.

10.  Bottom line:  I was wrong about this game and I am glad.  Good to beat the Colts in week one, and good that Rivers didn't carve us up like normal.  On to the tacks.
I was confident this team was going to win. Maybe I have been to trusting with the coaches on who is doing well in these padded practices. But for coaches who need to win I think we need to belive them when they say the best players are playing.

I would of liked to see more 15-25 yard throws from Minshew to help Robinson. But nothing to complain from the offense to me.

My biggest concern today was the lack of containment on the guys running in the middle or the screen.

Hayden was bad today. Smoot had two bad penalties which only 1 I believe should of been called.

Overall this was a team win. Defense gave the Offence chances and In the end we won the game.

Winning brings a young team together.
(09-13-2020, 08:36 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]     VII.  Collin Johnson-had a nice 3r d down catch across the middle for a first down.  Liked the backflip he did when we were in victory formation., though I do not want to see him do that again until we reach the Super Bowl.

I agree!  It was cool, but my thought turned to what would have been the reaction if he had gotten injured and was lost for the year because of it?  It would have ranked up there with the "chopping wood" incident.
(09-14-2020, 01:00 AM)TheDuke007 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-13-2020, 08:36 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]     VII.  Collin Johnson-had a nice 3r d down catch across the middle for a first down.  Liked the backflip he did when we were in victory formation., though I do not want to see him do that again until we reach the Super Bowl.

I agree!  It was cool, but my thought turned to what would have been the reaction if he had gotten injured and was lost for the year because of it?  It would have ranked up there with the "chopping wood" incident.

He said on his Zoom call, he's not allowed to do that now. Guess he just got caught up in the moment.
If you want an overall impression of the game, it is this:

Apparently, preseason is vastly overrated. We came out and played like a well-oiled machine, including a flock of rookies who had never played a snap in the league. That is very surprising.
We still have a ways to go to earn some respectability. 

I went to NFL.com to see the Around the NFL write ups of yesterday's games. Fully expecting we would be at the bottom of the list (we were) I didn't expect they would double down on the shade by not even including a game highlight video as they did every other game. Sigh, it's tough being a Jags fan, lol.
(09-14-2020, 06:56 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]We still have a ways to go to earn some respectability. 

I went to NFL.com to see the Around the NFL write ups of yesterday's games. Fully expecting we would be at the bottom of the list (we were) I didn't expect they would double down on the shade by not even including a game highlight video as they did every other game. Sigh, it's tough being a Jags fan, lol.

I actually went on last night to read it. All the early games were on there except ours...
(09-14-2020, 05:34 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]If you want an overall impression of the game, it is this:

Apparently, preseason is vastly overrated.  We came out and played like a well-oiled machine, including a flock of rookies who had never played a snap in the league.  That is very surprising.

It is time to drop preseason to 2 games. I do think its still important for some of the fringe guys. Also, its good to get the backup QBs some work vs other opponents.
Good insight as usual.

Great to have football again. I'm back to slacking off at work Monday mornings since I'm listening to Jags sports radio after a win
We're leading the league in attendance!
(09-14-2020, 08:52 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]We're leading the league in attendance!

At this point in time we are leading the division.
(09-13-2020, 08:36 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks to Covid, we had no pro days, the draft was held at the Commisioner's house, there was no minicamps, no open training camps, just a weird start to the season.  But despite all of the problems and issues, the regular season made it to a football starved fan base.  Would the results be as weird as the offseason a nd preseason were? 

1.  One of the things at stake for the franchise is the future of the QB position, as many observers believe that the team will be the worst in the league and is promed to draft QB Trevor Lawrence with the first overall pick.  However, Minshew produced what...19-20 3 TDs and 0 INTs, and made a strong statement that the Jaguars should pin their immediate and future hopes to him.  Not much to complain about with a performance like that.

2.  I don't think this was a dominant performance by the defense, but it certainly was scrappy.  The Colts seemed destined to be unstoppable, yet the Jaguars came up with big stop after big stop in the game, whether it was the short yardage inside the ten, CJ's INT early, or Wingard's INT late. 

3.  I am uncertain what Gruden is like as a playcaller after seeing him just this game for the Jaguars.  But based upon what I've seen, he has to get a ton of credit fot the Jaguars' win today.  On two of Minshew's TDs, WRs were running WIDE open.  I would like to see how those plays were designed, but that was key.

4.  The offense allowed 3 sacks, but without going back, I am unsure how to apportion blame.  I know Taylor's guy got inside of hi on that first sack, but I seem to recall the TE releasing inside of him.  I don't know if Taylor stepped extra wide outside to accommodate the TE's release or what, but that did not look good.  Cam Robinson gave up a sack to Justin Houston, but you could make the argument that had Minshew been able to step up in the pocket on that play, Robinson would have had him blocked.  Nevertheless, I still don't feel overly comfortable with the OL today.

5.  The scariest part of the game was Josh Allen staying down with the injury.  Fortunately, the report was that he had cramps and he returned to the game later.  But our pass rush was diminished going into this game with the trades of Yannick Ngakoue and Calais Campbell.  I would hate to see Allen gone long terms due to injury.  I'm releived beyond measure he is okay.

6.  I was mildly shocked that Westbrook was a healthy scratch.  Conversely, it seems Cole has won the confidence of the coaches again.

7.  Rookie Watch

I.  C.J. Henderson-I had my apprehensions about the pick when it was made.  Getting those reports from camo about him being beaten by Cole did not help my confidence in the pick.  But if his performance today is any indicia of what's to come from him, I feel a ton better.  He had his first career INT, a key drive killing play that kept the Jaguars in the game early.  He tackled very well, including stopping a receiver one yard short of a first down.  His performance in this area addressed the biggest critique of his game during the pre-draft process.  He overcame a possible concussion, returning to the game for the game clinching pass breakup.  Outstanding job by the rookie.

II.  K'Lavon Chaisson-another guy I was not thrilled to see us draft.  He performed about up to my expectations, not doing too much.  I saw plays where he was completely locked down by Castonzo once the LT got his hands on him.  Chaisson DID make one play-the INT that was negated by a ticky tack at best penalty.  Unlike Henderson, Chaisson will has to improve

III.  LaViska Shenault-Seemingly all of Jag nation was eager to see Shenault, and his first game performance was solid.  Much of the speculation about him is that the Jaguars would use him any number of ways.  Indeed, the Jaguars lined him up at QB in a wildcat formation, out wide, and in the slot.  He caught his first TD on a slant.  Did not have any big time plays or yardage, but made an impact, which is what you want.

IV.  Devon Hamilton-I did not see him get too much action, but one play stuck out to me.  In the second half, the Colts ran to the left.  Hamilton maintained his gap and he strung the run out wide and finally made the tackle short of the first down.  He showed good hustle and enthusiasm on the play.  His pursuit made me smile.

V.  Ben Bartch-Saw him on the bench but did not see him play.

VI.  Josiah Scot-I did not notice him much at all.

VII.  Collin Johnson-had a nice 3r d down catch across the middle for a first down.  Liked the backflip he did when we were in victory formation., though I do not want to see him do that again until we reach the Super Bowl.

VIII.  Daniel Thomas-did not notice him much

IX.  Jake Luton-Did not see him play.  Do not think he was active.  Glennon was the backup.

X.  Tyler Davis-I think he was inactive due to a knee injury

XI.  Chris Claybrooks-Wearing Rashean's and Fournette's #27, he had a couple of returns and a nice coverage on a couple of plays.

XII.  James Robinson-in many ways, he was the most anticipated rookie, since Leonard Fournette was cut.  As far as first impressions go, it was quite a favorable one.  What little we heard about him, we were told he had great vision.  Not only was that true, we also saw that he had the lateral quickness to exploit that vision and hit holes LF might not have reached.  Though he was shut down in the second half, he had a jaw dropping catch and run where he leaped over/between two Colts defenders for a first down and another 10-15 yards.  I think our running game is in good hands with him.

8.  Phenomenal that Lambo has been so automatic for us!

9.  Despite that, kick coverage could stand some improvement.

10.  Bottom line:  I was wrong about this game and I am glad.  Good to beat the Colts in week one, and good that Rivers didn't carve us up like normal.  On to the tacks.

Spot on with everything you said.
My biggest takeaway from what I saw from the highlights (I had work so I wasn't able to watch live) is that the Offensive line did a good job. The run blocking was good, and i was shocked by how good they were in pass pro as well. Obviously with shorter passes you don't need as much time.. but that leads me to my next observation. Gruden's play-calling was awesome. It finally felt like we had an NFL offense for once. I'm okay with the idea of us having a good offense and a bad defense.. at least it's exciting to watch. Go Jags!
My impressions:
  • Minshew took a step closer to proving he may be a franchise caliber guy - still some things to prove
  • I thought the offense would be pretty good.  They were a little better than I expected. 
  • I thought the defense would struggle and they did at times, but they really buckled down at other times and played with that scrappy energy you love to see. If the IDL and linebackers can learn from this game tape and get better vs the run (and screen pass) they may be better than advertised. They won't face many run blocking O-lines that good this year. 
  • CJ Henderson looks legit and mostly ready to go as a rook
  • Myles Jack -  I noticed fans prematurely pouncing on him negatively after that first series  - but he made a number of impact plays as the game played out and does indeed look to be in a better position for his skill set. Why it took this long to happen I haven't a clue. 
  • Secondary:  Well, I can't say I have a ton of confidence that they won't have some bad games year. Wilson is still inconsistent at FS. Saw some bad angles and a big misstep early in coverage. Our starting SS got banged up a bit and I'm not sure about depth there. Herndon was up and down on the day but solid mostly. They play hard and I'll just hope they improve as a unit as the year wears on. Why the usually gritty Hayen had an down day covering TEs I just don't know. Hopefully not a trend.
  • I can't say I saw Gruden's WR depth chart and snap count playing out like it did for week one, but it looks effective and it is a very strong unit to be sure. Very good execution from those guys and there's decent depth behind them. 
  • Robinson - what can you say?   Very smart acquisition by Caldwell and one hell of a football player. 
  • Lambo  -  On the money and on a long streak of it. One of the best FA deals this team has ever had. 
  • Gruden  -  did a fantastic job getting execution out of a young group with a wacky offseason environment. Very impressed. 
My take is, I think we may finally have a legit OC. That playaction play designed for Cole was a beauty! GRUDEN GRUDEN GRUDEN!
Good summaries chaps! I been smiling ear to ear since yesterday. I even hurdled the couch when Robinson went up and over those two defenders yesterday lol. So much fun.

I've been in a weird mentality all off-season; very positive about the long term possibilities for this team, while simultaneously anticipating massive struggles this season. I can't believe they put in such a complete performance yesterday, especially after the start of the game when it looked like our defense was gonna be the Swiss cheese that I and so many others expected... Just wow, what a complete team performance. There are a few things that will need to improve (pass rush and pass pro, primarily), but I now feel excited about this year again... And the long term future looks brighter than ever!
Jay Gruden did a great job with the offense. It felt like he was catering the playbook to the players he had on field - kept it simple, low risk, get them opportunities to succeed and eventually the big wins came, that wide open TD was fabulous.

Schobert was great. I think he has a better command of the D than Jack ever did in the middle, and moving Jack outside allows him the freedom to use his speed effectively, as we saw in the shut down of Brisset's lone(?) snap. There were a couple of plays where the D bit on misdirection plays, but we have to remember this is the first game action the unit has played together, and that defense is young. I have to imagine the vets feel they still need to feel out the young guys to know whether or not they can hold their own on the field.

Special teams were reliable, as always. Kudos to the grounds crew for using the extra large goal posts this week, Blankenship will be hearing that doink in his nightmares
Congrats on a great win jags. I said somewhere else that with covid, this season could be anyones.. whoever takes advantage of the strangeness.
Really wish i could have seen this game. Tennessee decided we would rather see the stupid browns get beat down like they always do opening day. New coach, same ole browns.
Looking forward to next week, after tonight of course. Titans have a must win so next wk is for first place. Haha
It's great to see football back and the Jaguars start with a win.
Too bad the naysayers just kind of go "Meh" ...but we'll get there
Seems we have a real team and a real quarterback ..... things will only get better barring any
injuries.
Keep rolling Jags!
(09-13-2020, 08:53 PM)icey14 Wrote: [ -> ]I was confident this team was going to win.  Maybe I have been to trusting with the coaches on who is doing well in these padded practices. But for coaches who need to win I think we need to belive them when they say the best players are playing.

I would of liked to see more 15-25 yard throws from Minshew to help Robinson.  But nothing to complain from the offense to me.

My biggest concern today was the lack of containment on the guys running in the middle or the screen.

Hayden was bad today.  Smoot had two bad penalties which only 1 I believe should of been called.

Overall this was a team win.  Defense gave the Offence chances and In the end we won the game.

Winning brings a young team together.

I don't think that roughing the passer penalty should have been called.

(09-14-2020, 05:34 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]If you want an overall impression of the game, it is this:

Apparently, preseason is vastly overrated.  We came out and played like a well-oiled machine, including a flock of rookies who had never played a snap in the league.  That is very surprising.

Offensively we did, anyway.

Defensively we were far from the '85 Bears but made the plays when it counted.

The really strange thing to me is that on those INTs Rivers didn't step into those throws, despite not having much pressure as I recall.

(09-14-2020, 08:30 AM)jaglyn Wrote: [ -> ]Good insight as usual.

Great to have football again. I'm back to slacking off at work Monday mornings since I'm listening to Jags sports radio after a win

Thanks.
Pages: 1 2