Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Dede Westbrook/Keelan Cole
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Can someone explain this to me? Now I thought I followed the team pretty closely but what happened to the situation we are in with Dede Westbrook being a healthy scratch yesterday and seemingly on the trade block? And on the flip side, when did Keelan Cole outplay him instead to make the team? I know Cole has talent but it seems since his breakout season, he has been on the verge of being cut. Just confused what happened to their respective situations? Did Cole just have a much better training camp than him? I know Westbrook has had injuries but it's just crazy how the 4th round pick is the one possibly leaving and not the undrafted player.

Again, I'm just confused and hoping for details of something I missed over the year? Thanks!
(09-14-2020, 10:27 AM)Brett Wrote: [ -> ]Can someone explain this to me? Now I thought I followed the team pretty closely but what happened to the situation we are in with Dede Westbrook being a healthy scratch yesterday and seemingly on the trade block? And on the flip side, when did Keelan Cole outplay him instead to make the team? I know Cole has talent but it seems since his breakout season, he has been on the verge of being cut. Just confused what happened to their respective situations? Did Cole just have a much better training camp than him? I know Westbrook has had injuries but it's just crazy how the 4th round pick is the one possibly leaving and not the undrafted player.

Again, I'm just confused and hoping for details of something I missed over the year? Thanks!

Westbrook is injured, has been for several weeks. The rules this year allow for teams to retain more players so we have more healthy (and unhealthy) scratches like Westbrook who is probably the 5th receiver either way. It's clear they intend to have Shenault out there a lot and Johnson is a package guy, so Cole is the other healthy vet at the moment.  He and Westbrook might alternate through the year based on health alone.
The little bit of camp we had this year Cole was ballin' and Westbrook not so much. He was dealing with an injury most of the off season too.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Westbrook moved to a team like the 9ers who just lost Deebo to injury for a bit, iirc.

Westbrook was listed as 5th/6th WR on unofficial depth chart prior to season starting.
Unfortunate as I had high hopes for him but if he isn't traded he probably is inactive most games unless someone gets hurt.
With Deebo going down and the rest of the receivers being so young/little game experience, you have to wonder if the Niners are at least SNIFFING around.
Dede is banged up and the coaches trust Cole, Shenault and apparently Johnson as well.

We have depth at WR and that is a good thing.
Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses and for helping me understanding a little better. I knew Dede has been banged up...just still surprised after Cole was on the verge of being cut so often it seemed in the past. And the fact that Dede is a 4th round pick, still decently young.
I've always like Cole. He had a bad stretch a couple of years ago with drops, but I haven't noticed that issue since. I liked the stat yesterday that the Jags are 8-0 when he catches a TD pass.
(09-14-2020, 11:39 AM)Rico Wrote: [ -> ]I've always like Cole.  He had a bad stretch a couple of years ago with drops, but I haven't noticed that issue since.  I liked the stat yesterday that the Jags are 8-0 when he catches a TD pass.

I always like the stories of UDFAs coming out of nowhere and doing well.  You find players where you find players.  If he can play all season like YESTERDAY he's looking at an 80 catch/750 yard year.  Not too bad.
(09-14-2020, 11:28 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Dede is banged up and the coaches trust Cole, Shenault and apparently Johnson as well.

He wasn't on the injury report right? How is he banged up?

He just isn't as good as the other WRs and the younger guys are cheaper and have more upside.
(09-14-2020, 12:05 PM)p_rushing Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-14-2020, 11:28 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Dede is banged up and the coaches trust Cole, Shenault and apparently Johnson as well.

He just isn't as good as the other WRs and the younger guys are cheaper and have more upside.

He was a limited participant in the latter two weeks of camp so the other guys got a shot to earn snaps. It was well documented and pretty reasonable/understandable. I’m pretty sure it’s a shoulder injury. 

I disagree with your opinion. 

If Westbrook is here when he’s 100% he’ll probably get some PR duty and snaps at Y and/or Z receiver. 
Gruden is smart enough to utilize a variety of skill sets and Westbrook brings his own to the table.
(09-14-2020, 12:05 PM)p_rushing Wrote: [ -> ]

He's been dealing with shoulder/neck issues, off and on.
I think we should look to hold onto him for the rest the year. We need depth and receiver, as this is the main strength of the team.
(09-14-2020, 11:36 AM)Brett Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses and for helping me understanding a little better. I knew Dede has been banged up...just still surprised after Cole was on the verge of being cut so often it seemed in the past. And the fact that Dede is a 4th round pick, still decently young.

With Minshew as a 6th round pick and our new UDFA Robinson both balling like crazy, sometimes I think where they were picked in the draft isn't always an indicator of how good or bad they are. 

College talent doesn't always translate well to the pros and sometimes the mediocre college guys flourish once they get a handle on the speed of the pro game. There are examples of both. Also, we've had guys who didn't do so well here go to another team where their talents were better utilized. 

The FO thought Calais Campbell was getting long in the tooth and traded him to the Ravens where he made an immediate impact yesterday. That trade still pisses me off.
I think the Jag diehards, include me, underestimated the importance of Cole in the minds of Caldwell and the coaches. Cole was tagged with a 2nd round tender this season, paying him a fairly robust $3.3m. Although I thought he was a roster bubble guy, they obviously value him much higher than most or some of us do. The healthy scratch of Westbrook this last game validated their high impression of Cole.
(09-14-2020, 01:34 PM)ATLjag Wrote: [ -> ]I think the Jag diehards, include me, underestimated the importance of Cole in the minds of Caldwell and the coaches.  Cole was tagged with a 2nd round tender this season, paying him a fairly robust $3.3m.  Although I thought he was a roster bubble guy, they obviously value him much higher than most or some of us do.  The healthy scratch of Westbrook this last game validated their high impression of Cole.

"Healthy scratch" is technically accurate but a little misleading. The guy didn't practice for two weeks prior to week one game prep.  Not a ton of coordinators/coaches out there who wouldn't give him the week off when they have other healthier guys they trust to play well in a new playbook.  It doesn't necessarily mean Gruden doesn't see a role for him in his offense. 

Regarding Cole, I'm very happy to see him getting snaps and taking advantage. He's a tremendous value to the roster and I think it's speaks well for Gruden to come in and assign snaps according to his own evaluation, not the last guy or the presumed status quo.
(09-14-2020, 01:26 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-14-2020, 11:36 AM)Brett Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses and for helping me understanding a little better. I knew Dede has been banged up...just still surprised after Cole was on the verge of being cut so often it seemed in the past. And the fact that Dede is a 4th round pick, still decently young.

With Minshew as a 6th round pick and our new UDFA Robinson both balling like crazy, sometimes I think where they were picked in the draft isn't always an indicator of how good or bad they are. 

College talent doesn't always translate well to the pros and sometimes the mediocre college guys flourish once they get a handle on the speed of the pro game. There are examples of both. Also, we've had guys who didn't do so well here go to another team where their talents were better utilized. 

The FO thought Calais Campbell was getting long in the tooth and traded him to the Ravens where he made an immediate impact yesterday. That trade still pisses me off.

Yeah, good points. Thanks!
I watched the live stream with Marrone today and he was asked what Dede had to do. The answer was that he's been injured. It didn't appear he was in the doghouse.
(09-14-2020, 02:00 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: [ -> ]I watched the live stream with Marrone today and he was asked what Dede had to do. The answer was that he's been injured. It didn't appear he was in the doghouse.

Yep. 

Sounds like they are simply getting him healthy before playing him. 

https://twitter.com/jordandelugo/status/...71014?s=20
I don't want any of the wr traded. If a area is a strength, let it be a strength!
(09-14-2020, 03:05 PM)Mandeezee Wrote: [ -> ]I don't want any of the wr traded. If a area is a strength, let it be a strength!

That being said, Philly desperately needs WR help. Send Dede and a late pick for Ertz
Pages: 1 2