Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Gruden Presser - Wednesday Sept.16th
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
On Minshew - He's a student of the game - soaking up knowledge - exciting to watch guys who prepare well -  new plays coming in this week -  what he's accomplished is impressive

on Minshew's intangibles  --  there's some pocket stuff we can clean up - maybe escaped too early a couple of times rather than looking downfield  -  took an unnecessary sack  -  but we're learning together  - very impressed by first game together

On Robinson  -  He was great, man.  He ran good, great catch out of the backfield on the "ho-ho screen." 
He protected the ball well. Great start. 

on Viska play design:  These are plays that stem from what he's good at. He can stress a defense.  Moving him around will be important. Will use him in different ways. 

How will JR's role change vs Titans :  If we want to succeed it will start with the run even against a different defensive scheme. 

TE more opportunity?  -   Yeah I hope so. It didn't present itself in the 46 plays Sunday, biut we'll get to it. Feel good about our TEs. 

Vrabel defense challenges vs pass?  
Vrabel is a great defensive coach. Mixed up pass rush. Will vary coverage widely. Lots of blitz patterns. 
Tough on 3rd down.
Mia's questions were sort of like, "what do you plan to do against the Titans?"

I'm pretty sure he doesn't ever want to answer that type of question.
(09-16-2020, 11:31 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]Mia's questions were sort of like, "what do you plan to do against the Titans?"  

"We plan to run the triple option out of the wishbone on key plays to get Robinson, Shenault and Chris Thompson all on the field at once. We're starting Glennon since he has more experience in a variety of offenses but we'll exchange quarterbacks every three plays to keep them fresh. We're flipping the O-line left to right so that Taylor is at Left Tackle and Bartch will get the start at Right. I was really impressed with our Fullback Sunday, so we're going to let him get 20 or more carries this week. Finally, on the few passing plays we'll call we're putting our four Tight Ends out at receiver with Miller as the one back in the old Run N Shoot set. Any other questions?"
(09-16-2020, 11:05 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]On Minshew - He's a student of the game - soaking up knowledge - exciting to watch guys who prepare well -  new plays coming in this week -  what he's accomplished is impressive

on Minshew's intangibles  --  there's some pocket stuff we can clean up - maybe escaped too early a couple of times rather than looking downfield  -  took an unnecessary sack  -  but we're learning together  - very impressed by first game together

On Robinson  -  He was great, man.  He ran good, great catch out of the backfield on the "ho-ho screen." 
He protected the ball well. Great start. 

on Viska play design:  These are plays that stem from what he's good at. He can stress a defense.  Moving him around will be important. Will use him in different ways. 

How will JR's role change vs Titans :  If we want to succeed it will start with the run even against a different defensive scheme. 

TE more opportunity?  -   Yeah I hope so. It didn't present itself in the 46 plays Sunday, biut we'll get to it. Feel good about our TEs. 

Vrabel defense challenges vs pass?  
Vrabel is a great defensive coach. Mixed up pass rush. Will vary coverage widely. Lots of blitz patterns. 
Tough on 3rd down.

I will say this about Minshew:  He is shattering some preconceived notions about QBs.

One commonly held belief is that young QBs will suffer when they are given different schemes one year after another.  

For the most part, that seems to be true.

But Minshew has had seven different OCs's/schemes in the last seven years without much adverse impact on his performance thus far.

Now this isn't to say that I don't care about continuity.  I do, and if we were to keep Gruden around another year or two, assuming Minshew stays, I would still presume Minshew's performance would get better, whether we as fans would realize it or not.  I would think Gruden would be more pleased in post game or practice film review in regard to his reads and mechanics, etc.-something to which we as fans would not be privy.

But I'm left to wonder exactly how much of the position is intrinsic and intangible?

Do good/great QBs simply have a knack at playing the position?  Can that knack be developed, or is it that proverbial "it" factor that you either have or don't?  Do you think Minshew has the knack or "it?"

It's kinda hard for me to argue against that "it" or knack, bth as a general necessity or specifically in Minshew's instance.
I'll say that Minshew is slowly beginning to cause me to eschew my sense of overwhelming dread on every Jags 3rd down.
I have always read and heard that the greatest attribute an NFL quarterback needs, WAY beyond height, arm strength, or anything else, although those are good to have, is the ability to read a defense, process information extremely quickly, and make split second decisions.  (Of course that all takes place while there is violent chaos going on within arm's reach.)  

I don't know if those abilities are tangible or intangible, but those abilities are apparently very hard for NFL scouts to evaluate, and it's why there are so many quarterbacks that look like they are from central casting that are drafted every year that aren't worth a bucket of warm [BLEEP].

Gruden did mention Minshew having attended "14 different colleges" (which I thought was a funny line) and how that experience might have helped him learn new systems.
It's been said by everyone that Minshew has a high football IQ. I think he also has the "It" factor (which covers a lot of territory from personality to playing ability) and those accomplish for him what he lacks in traditional thinking physical QB traits of stronger arm, bigger legs and bigger overall. 

I would rather he have his football IQ and It factor than be the traditional built QB. Most guys have the build and the IQ, or the build and the It factor; rarely does a player have what he has.
Loved Gruden's playcalling against the Colts. Looking forward to what we will see on Sunday.
Given that Jamarcus Russell was supposed to be the NEXT GENERATION QB, i'll take a guy that is a bit smaller but can process a game as quick as Minshew can every time. Ditto to Vince Young. 

Its good to see these 'smaller' guys like Gardner, Baker Mayfield, Tua, Russell Wilson, and Kyler Murray get a shot to play at QB
Whatever "IT" is ....GM15 definitely has IT.  Big Grin
(09-16-2020, 02:05 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]But I'm left to wonder exactly how much of the position is intrinsic and intangible?

Do good/great QBs simply have a knack at playing the position?  Can that knack be developed, or is it that proverbial "it" factor that you either have or don't?  Do you think Minshew has the knack or "it?"

It's kinda hard for me to argue against that "it" or knack, bth as a general necessity or specifically in Minshew's instance.

You ask an interesting question. NFL history has shown us that a strong arm is not a requirement to be a successful quarterback. Examples would be Joe Montana, Bart Starr, Bob Griese, Rich Gannon, Chad Pennington and even Drew Brees, who wasn't drafted until round 2 due to concerns about his arm strength. What these guys had in common was great pocket presence, good touch, football intelligence and leadership. It also helps greatly to play in a west coast type offense which doesn't rely on deep passes much of the time. 

Minshew does seem to have all of these intangibles. Whether he will win depends on whether Caldwell (or a new general manager) can find him a talented enough supporting cast. The offensive line held up pretty well last week, even though the Colts made adjustments to stop the run in the 2nd half. This team is still obviously lacking in talent on the defensive side of the ball. My hope would be that they win 6 or 7 games this season and see enough from Minshew that he becomes their undisputed franchise quarterback. They should be able to fill holes next season with 4 picks in the 1st 2 rounds and a very large amount of salary cap money.

Finally, those quarterbacks lacking in these intangibles are very unlikely to get significantly better. Jeff George, Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf are prime examples of this. In Jacksonville, we had our own great example in Blaine Gabbert!
I think the most important thing for a QB to have is what could be called the "it" factor.  Mainly mental skills along with a few physical skills.

Take Blake Bortles as an example.  I do think that he has the mental skill, but he lacked the accuracy and consistency.  I remember a particular "miked up" episode where he knew that the receiver was going to get a TD, he called it and it happened.  He was "football smart" but lacked the physical skill to go along with it.  His passes were often wobbly or not entirely accurate.

I think some people often mistake "arm strength" for the ability to throw a deep pass.  To me "arm strength" has more to do with how a pass is thrown.  Can a 15 or so yard pass be thrown accurately "on a wire" rather than a "rainbow" in the air with some touch?  Another example is Byron Leftwich.  He could throw those shorter-to-medium passes on a wire, but sometimes would put too much on them to where the receiver couldn't catch it.

I would call it "arm control" more so than "arm strength".

The 15-20 yard accurate passes with touch are going to win a lot more games than the deep pass.
To add a little bit more to my previous post, one glaring mistake that I saw Gardner do was hold on to the ball too long and cause a sack.  It's something that he will learn eventually, but sometimes it's better just to throw the ball away rather than take the sack.
I'm just thankful we have Gruden as an OC. I grew up in Cincinnati so I still follow the Bengals somewhat and I always enjoyed him as their OC from 2011-2013.
(09-16-2020, 02:20 PM)JaguarKick Wrote: [ -> ]I'll say that Minshew is slowly beginning to cause me to eschew my sense of overwhelming dread on every Jags 3rd down.

It's funny you say this because I feel the same way. Idk how many years we hit a 3 and favorable and you just knew the 4th down was coming. Not so much with this new Mustachio'd signal caller.
(09-16-2020, 01:32 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-16-2020, 11:31 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]Mia's questions were sort of like, "what do you plan to do against the Titans?"  

"We plan to run the triple option out of the wishbone on key plays to get Robinson, Shenault and Chris Thompson all on the field at once. We're starting Glennon since he has more experience in a variety of offenses but we'll exchange quarterbacks every three plays to keep them fresh. We're flipping the O-line left to right so that Taylor is at Left Tackle and Bartch will get the start at Right. I was really impressed with our Fullback Sunday, so we're going to let him get 20 or more carries this week. Finally, on the few passing plays we'll call we're putting our four Tight Ends out at receiver with Miller as the one back in the old Run N Shoot set. Any other questions?"

It amazes me there aren't answers like this.  Regardless of the sport, I'd be constantly and continually lying.  There would be no hope other than using actual logic as to what was going to happen.  

Like, "Well, I don't know if you know, but Andrew Norwell played RB up until his final year of junior high.  We've been looking at him in some situations, mainly in the screen game.  Solid hands.  Also, I've seen reports we are looking at Blake Bortles for depth at Mike.  There is no question Blake remembers where the building is."

They'd never get a decent answer.  Even in baseball, basketball, whatever.  Maybe even UFC.
(09-16-2020, 06:19 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-16-2020, 02:05 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]I will say this about Minshew:  He is shattering some preconceived notions about QBs.

One commonly held belief is that young QBs will suffer when they are given different schemes one year after another.  

For the most part, that seems to be true.

But Minshew has had seven different OCs's/schemes in the last seven years without much adverse impact on his performance thus far.

Now this isn't to say that I don't care about continuity.  I do, and if we were to keep Gruden around another year or two, assuming Minshew stays, I would still presume Minshew's performance would get better, whether we as fans would realize it or not.  I would think Gruden would be more pleased in post game or practice film review in regard to his reads and mechanics, etc.-something to which we as fans would not be privy.

But I'm left to wonder exactly how much of the position is intrinsic and intangible?

I think the most important thing for a QB to have is what could be called the "it" factor.  Mainly mental skills along with a few physical skills.

Take Blake Bortles as an example.  I do think that he has the mental skill, but he lacked the accuracy and consistency.  I remember a particular "miked up" episode where he knew that the receiver was going to get a TD, he called it and it happened.  He was "football smart" but lacked the physical skill to go along with it.  His passes were often wobbly or not entirely accurate.

I think some people often mistake "arm strength" for the ability to throw a deep pass.  To me "arm strength" has more to do with how a pass is thrown.  Can a 15 or so yard pass be thrown accurately "on a wire" rather than a "rainbow" in the air with some touch?  Another example is Byron Leftwich.  He could throw those shorter-to-medium passes on a wire, but sometimes would put too much on them to where the receiver couldn't catch it.

I would call it "arm control" more so than "arm strength".

The 15-20 yard accurate passes with touch are going to win a lot more games than the deep pass.

"The it factor" is just another way of saying, "I don't know, he just seems to be getting it done."  It's a cop-out. 

This is really the thing:  

The most important attribute for a successful NFL quarterback is the ability to process data quickly.  The ball is snapped, and 21 other guys are in motion in every direction.  For a quarterback, that is all data that has to be processed almost instantly.  That is the thing.  The thing.  That is a massive amount of data that goes into a quarterback's brain and has to be processed into a decision within about 2 seconds.  

And that is why it is so hard for scouts to project a QB into the NFL.  You can't tell for sure who has that ability from watching college tape.  

There are a lot of other factors, of course, but that is the main factor.  When the ball is snapped, who has the ability to process a massive data input and make a decision in about 2 seconds total.

And I would say that Minshew might have this ability because so far in his very short career he has thrown 24 TDs and only 6 INTs.  He's making good decisions and minimizing bad decisions.
This is what makes Mahomes so good. He sees everything very quickly and has the physical skills to make option plays happen. He's HOF bound.
(09-16-2020, 06:24 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]To add a little bit more to my previous post, one glaring mistake that I saw Gardner do was hold on to the ball too long and cause a sack.  It's something that he will learn eventually, but sometimes it's better just to throw the ball away rather than take the sack.

Yeah that's something that comes with experience and I think he's currently learning to strike the balance between staying in the pocket (rather than taking off on a scramble) and holding the ball to long. It's a skill that usually takes a lot of experience and finesse and the fact that he's already seeking that balance this early is sensational. Some QBs takes years to get it down.
Pages: 1 2