Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Deferring the possesion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
You would have thought 2 weeks in a row of giving up a td on the first possession would have taught them a lesson.  Stop giving the other team momentum.  It is frustrating as all get out to watch the other team just walk thru us on the game opening drive.  Open your eyes stop deferring the first possession.  

Aaaaarghhhh!!!!!
(09-25-2020, 01:11 AM)surfon Wrote: [ -> ]You would have thought 2 weeks in a row of giving up a td on the first possession would have taught them a lesson.  Stop giving the other team momentum.  It is frustrating as all get out to watch the other team just walk thru us on the game opening drive.  Open your eyes stop deferring the first possession.  

Aaaaarghhhh!!!!!

I thought the same thing until the 3rd quarter started.  I though now we march down and score quick and get the momentum back.  Didn’t happen, that’s called outsmarting yourself.
(09-25-2020, 01:27 AM)WVUJagsman Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-25-2020, 01:11 AM)surfon Wrote: [ -> ]You would have thought 2 weeks in a row of giving up a td on the first possession would have taught them a lesson.  Stop giving the other team momentum.  It is frustrating as all get out to watch the other team just walk thru us on the game opening drive.  Open your eyes stop deferring the first possession.  

Aaaaarghhhh!!!!!

I thought the same thing until the 3rd quarter started.  I though now we march down and score quick and get the momentum back.  Didn’t happen, that’s called outsmarting yourself.

Huh?  Seems like you were deciding with the decision until it blew up in your face.  Whatever still was a dumb decision given the prior outcomes.
Wash needs more possessions before half so he can figure how to adjust the defense in the 2nd half instead of watching film and developing a gameplan before the game.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Head coach and DC still living in the past of 2017 elite D.
HC doug flat out sucks as a HC. hes fireing is overdue,never should of hired him. hes destroyed jags just like he did bills. 1 good season ,and then all down hill after that. Jags should fire all the coaches except gruden.
The casual national viewer was dying to see what Minshew Mania was all about. What does Doug do? He puts the worst defense in the NFL out on the field first to keep people saying "Same old Jags".

I can't get over how inept this man is as a HC.

Aaaaarghhhh!!!!!

It amounts to spotting our opponent a 7 point lead to start every game.  You'd think with our offense being stronger than our defense that we'd want to maximize the number of times we have the ball by starting the game with it.......
(09-25-2020, 01:53 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: [ -> ]https://twitter.com/Demetrius82/status/1...16322?s=19

Hahahah this encapsulates the Marrone Error. 4 more years, 4 more years
Almost 100% of the teams take the ball if they win the coin toss. This is because they do not want to give the other team an extra possession. For that matter why even go out for the coin toss? If the other team wins it they will take the ball. If you win they get the ball. Just tell the refs which end you want to defend and call it a day maybe? Will save some time...networks can get an extra ad in...Wink
(09-27-2020, 04:18 PM)Jag149 Wrote: [ -> ]Almost 100% of the teams take the ball if they win the coin toss. This is because they do not want to give the other team an extra possession. For that matter why even go out for the coin toss? If the other team wins it they will take the ball. If you win they get the ball. Just tell the refs which end you want to defend and call it a day maybe? Will save some time...networks can get an extra ad in...Wink

That's really not true.  There are quite a few teams that defer more often than not.

I don't know if it really matters one way or the other.  Deferring doesn't give the opposing team an "extra possession".  What matters is how the game is played out.
(09-27-2020, 04:18 PM)Jag149 Wrote: [ -> ]Almost 100% of the teams take the ball if they win the coin toss. This is because they do not want to give the other team an extra possession. For that matter why even go out for the coin toss? If the other team wins it they will take the ball. If you win they get the ball. Just tell the refs which end you want to defend and call it a day maybe? Will save some time...networks can get an extra ad in...Wink

In 2018, 92% of NFL teams deferred after winning the coin toss.  From 2008-2018, Belichick deferred 95% of the time. Since 2008, teams that win the coin toss and defer have a 52% win percentage. For what that is worth.

https://www.waldrn.com/how-the-nfls-2008...the%20time.
The idea that you "steal" a possession by deferring and then scoring before half and then opening 2nd half with the ball to score again is such a weird thought though.

Yes, that is possible... However, if you score enough you don't need to "steal" a possession. And it's also very possible that the opponent ends the first half with a scoring possession and you've "stolen" nothing.
I think it's a whack philosophy. Winners want the ball.
Marrone should be fired immediately. Promote Gruden already
(09-28-2020, 03:33 PM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]The idea that you "steal" a possession by deferring and then scoring before half and then opening 2nd half with the ball to score again is such a weird thought though.

Yes, that is possible... However, if you score enough you don't need to "steal" a possession. And it's also very possible that the opponent ends the first half with a scoring possession and you've "stolen" nothing.
I think it's a whack philosophy. Winners want the ball.

2017 Jags i would of rathered to defer and had our defense out there at a chance to score first... lol

Totally incorrect.
(09-25-2020, 01:53 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: [ -> ]https://twitter.com/Demetrius82/status/1...16322?s=19

Doug needs to indicate a lot more than that. 

Let's indicate when you sign that pink slip.
(09-28-2020, 03:43 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: [ -> ]Marrone should be fired immediately.  Promote Gruden already

After watching the Redskins over the past 5 years, it's pretty sad we're calling for Gruden
This only works if the Jaguars score on their first drive, which they have not in 3 games. So if they just end up punting, they gain nothing.

It is not like your offensive philosophy or game plan changes based on the score of 0-0 versus 0-7. And this team has not shown to be mentally weak (so far) that being down affects their confidence or focus.

Of course their first quarters have been horrendously bad, but the solution is better defense. Not giving the opening drive to the offense.
Pages: 1 2