Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Defensive line woefully bad
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Aside from injuries, COVID exclusions and whatnot - this defensive line has been atrocious.

It doesn't help that we have Wash constantly resting his laurels on the bend-but-don't-break defensive shell. The problem is that his scheme bends and snaps into 1,000 pieces because we can't generate a pass rush with only 4 rushers.

I will also say that I have given Taven Bryan enough time to show that he could progress into a decent player - but that's not the case. He's a bust and maybe he should stick to playing fortnite.

Josh Allen has certainly been bearing the brunt of the loss of Ngakoue's presence on the other side and whether opposing teams are doubling him or he is just underperforming - its not going so good through the first quarter of the season.

Chaisson only gets subbed in certain packages but I feel like we need to get him involved in the game more often, even if it means playing him at LB, just to see if our 1st round pick can sack someone.

As for the rest of the no-named bozo's on our defensive line, I won't even waste my time on them because they are just that - no-named bozo's.
We only have three 1st rounders on the D-line. And people want to give Caldwell a pass.
Chaisson has played a lot, he just doesn't do anything.
Allen is playing like garbage.....He's not even close to getting to the quarterback.. trying to tell me he's only good when we have other good players on the defensive line.... if that's the case he's really not all that good... not impressed with what I've seen so far this year....
Pretty sure I saw Bryan fall on top of another DL a few times.
Can we get Yannick back? We need to bring some pressure Sad

He has as many sacks by himself as the entire Jaguars do this season.
(10-04-2020, 05:50 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: [ -> ]We only have three 1st rounders on the D-line.  And people want to give Caldwell a pass.

^^^^^THIS.  EXACTLY right.
It was "built" but now it is traded away. We only have 6 more years to go before we luck into our next playoff appearance.
Not that it's fair to expect him to be good yet, but Chaisson got a respectable 20 pass rush opportunities today...and produced zero pressures. Only two on the whole season so far.
I knew we'd be bad, but this is ridiculous! 4 sacks in 4 games and at least 2 of them, (both by Allen) were basically gifts. We traded away all our D-Linemen that helped take attention off of Allen and replaced them with no one. Now, we can't even get sacks when we are blitzing, which we hardly ever do. There is absolutely no excuse for this! As bad as we were last year, I see a worse team. Can any of you actually say that we are a better team than we were in 2019? I just don't see it. We spent two first round picks on a DE who has done nothing to take attention away from Allen and consistently gets hung up on blocks and a CB who hasn't been able to cover since the first game of the season. Ironically though, as bad as he's been, he's still our best cover guy, because the entire secondary sucks! We should've fired Caldwell, Marrone and Wash at the end of last season, because the longer they stay, the worse we get.
(10-04-2020, 07:30 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]I knew we'd be bad, but this is ridiculous! 4 sacks in 4 games and at least 2 of them, (both by Allen) were basically gifts. We traded away all our D-Linemen that helped take attention off of Allen and replaced them with no one. Now, we can't even get sacks when we are blitzing, which we hardly ever do. There is absolutely no excuse for this! As bad as we were last year, I see a worse team. Can any of you actually say that we are a better team than we were in 2019? I just don't see it. We spent two first round picks on a DE who has done nothing to take attention away from Allen and consistently gets hung up on blocks and a CB who hasn't been able to cover since the first game of the season. Ironically though, as bad as he's been, he's still our best cover guy, because the entire secondary sucks! We should've fired Caldwell, Marrone and Wash at the end of last season, because the longer they stay, the worse we get.

We are WAY worse than 2019.  We are going in the wrong direction.
You could walk through it it's that bad. Don't look like stopping anything.
"We don't need Ngakoue, we have Allen" LOLLOLOLOLOLOLOL

And to think there are people on here who actually believe that bull [BLEEP].
If we only had Ngakoue maybe we would be 1-3 like the Vikings  Laughing he would make such a difference LMAO
This was against the worst online in the league and a rookie qb. Were one end zone interception away from giving up a 40 burger. Not only are we not getting any pass rush, coverage is loose, and we cant set the edge, let alone keep backside contain.

As for the shell, I give him somewhat of a pass. We don't have the kids to man up. Thats before henderson got hurt. Aside from him and Jack, the entire back seven needs to be upgraded.
Slightly improved oline play but still busts when the heat is on them. Surprisingly better against the run on defense but doesn't matter because teams can do whatever they need to sustain drives. We still don't have a TE that can help out.

And now our kicking is suspect. This is a below average team with a few players to move forward with as a team. Season is going great so far.
I can count maybe 4 players in total that I'm comfortable going with next season. The rest can all leave and it wouldn't make a difference.
Opposing QB's just look too comfortable against us.  We get carved up every week.
(10-04-2020, 07:10 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: [ -> ]It was "built" but now it is traded away. We only have 6 more years to go before we luck into our next playoff appearance.

I have a feeling that the Jags management confidently assumed that they can replicate assembling a group like the 2017 squad. Maybe they thought it would be easy. But it was really lucky how they were able to get the most out of those players then, all of those guys overperformed that season.
(10-04-2020, 10:24 PM)jaglyn Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-04-2020, 07:10 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: [ -> ]It was "built" but now it is traded away. We only have 6 more years to go before we luck into our next playoff appearance.

I have a feeling that the Jags management confidently assumed that they can replicate assembling a group like the 2017 squad. Maybe they thought it would be easy. But it was really lucky how they were able to get the most out of those players then, all of those guys overperformed that season.

I don't think they over-performed; we just over-paid for veteran free agents who had a year or two left in them of high-level play.  It worked on D, but the philosophy is not sustainable if you cannot consistently draft good young (and cheaper) players behind them to reload when you move on from the free agents after a couple seasons.
Pages: 1 2 3