Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The positives after the Bungles Thrashing...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
-I am 50/50 on Minshew.   He has got 12 more games (virus pending) to secure the job.  So far he is leading the team to a 1-3 start.  The last couple of games have made me pull out a yellow flag on Minshew.  He has under thrown balls, made stupid throws in coverage, and down right seems rattled the last couple of weeks.   He has made some good plays in those games but it's enough inconsistency to be concerned.    The good news is the Jags are still a contender for the 1st overall pick. 

-Khan living up to his promise:  Khan already promised accountability and did not really go through with it.  Lets see if he walks his talk and takes action if this is another stinker season.  Khan will either do the right thing and reset the front office or we know he is a salesman and just talks.    

-Todd Wash:  Most people wanted him fired last year.   This Gus Bradley leftover runs a Scheme that most Offensive coordinators knows how to beat.  That 2017 defense got torched at times with some players saying they disliked the Scheme.   He is getting exposed for how inept he is. 

-Myles Jack is playing at an elite level.  He is far and away our best player on defense.   He has found his natural position.

-James Robinson:  IF I could only pick one player on the Jaguars offense in a draft it would be James Robinson.  He has great vision, balance, power, soft hands, and he is a good blocker.  The Jags have found a Gem in this kid.   He had over 100 total yards again today. 

DJ Chark: Caldwell made a good pick here. Chark is a playmaker.

-Caldwell Exposed:  To be blunt, the team lacks talent on defense on every level.  Most of our starting Defense would be backups on most teams.   Caldwell made decisions to let players go for peanuts with no suitable replacements.   I hear the salary cap excuse but the truth is we could of afforded to pay some of those core defensive players.   At every level this defense needs an overhaul.   Taven Bryan is looking like another 1st round bust to add to Caldwell's resume as well.
Chark caught every target his way right? I might have missed one late in the game but I think he did. Including the 7 catches on 7 targets from the first two weeks I think Minshew is 15/15 targeting Chark. It's shameful that he is only being targeted 5 times a game he needs to be getting peppered.
https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1...18848?s=19

Offense still slightly above avg. Defense, well...
Agree with your assessments. Caldwell let too many go- and in conjunction with losing soured talent- we are depleted. I don’t fault Caldwell for ridding the locker room of soured talent, but I do fault him for picking poor character players.

I don’t understand Wash. It feels like an ego problem, refusing to adjust when things are wrong. We finally blitzed and the result was great. Left me wondering why we waited until the 4th quarter to do so....
Offense can do positive things with the ball. They are putting up points and Robinson is a gem. Minshew is good enough the team is pitiful.
It's time for the Caldwell era in Jacksonville to come to an end.

He was the first GM that Shad brought in here.. who subsequently brought along the Bradley staff. Wash is a part of that tree.

We need a cultural reset. Things will not change with the same GM that we've had since i was still in high school.

We have to hold Shad accountable at this point. We as fans deserve better, and it's up to the owner of the Franchise to ensure that. I'm not confident that this will ever happen. Between Shad not having the stones to fire our current staff, to Tony dragging Coughlin on Twitter, things aren't looking good. I'm not sure how much pull Tony has in the org.. but it seems like he lacks accountability. I really hope I'm wrong.
(10-04-2020, 09:42 PM)Corriewf Wrote: [ -> ]Agree with your assessments. Caldwell let too many go- and in conjunction with losing soured talent- we are depleted. I don’t fault Caldwell for ridding the locker room of soured talent, but I do fault him for picking poor character players.

I don’t understand Wash. It feels like an ego problem, refusing to adjust when things are wrong. We finally blitzed and the result was great. Left me wondering why we waited until the 4th quarter to do so....

It's not Wash's ego that gave him a below average secondary and perhaps the least talented D line in the NFL. It's kind of hard to make effective adjustments when you just don't have the talent to make things work.

Blitz or no blitz, the Bengals still scored on every single possession in the second half except for their last which was 1 play in victory formation.
Shenault had a good game
Jags are giving up the highest completion % to opposing QB's in the league. 2nd fewest sacks.
Built in excuses.. it will be injuries are the problem. Just like last year with the oline.

Cupboard is bare and in years of putting up with this we only have draft picks as an accomplishment. Oh look at all the draft picks.
This is the positive thread?
Some positive thoughts on my mind:

1) Chark looks like the next great Jags receiver. The body control he displayed on that first TD was ridiculous. As Upper said his target/ catch ratio is crazy, he only has one missed connection with Minshew.

2) Some young players on offense continue to shine. Shenault looked good early, Robinson continues to make great decisions and displays explosion.

3) As bad as the defense looked, the cupboard is not bare. Jack looked great before injury, I am a fan of Josh Jones, Henderson, Herndon, and Hamilton. Not nearly good enough, but at least some good young options for next year. At this point I would like to see Scott, Barcoo and Sidney Jones get some reps. Claybrooks needs more time or may not ever get there. He has made multiple poor decisions/ plays this year that have cost us.

4) For a 4th string kicker, Rosas did OK. After the first missed kick, I thought he would crumble. He ended up coming back and gave me some hope while Lambo is out.

5) For better or worse it looks like we are heading towards a reset next year. It is hard to argue with a fresh approach at this point.
Positives. Robinson is good and how the heck did he not get drafted?
Trevor.
(10-04-2020, 09:17 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]-Todd Wash:  Most people wanted him fired last year.   This Gus Bradley leftover runs a Scheme that most Offensive coordinators knows how to beat.  That 2017 defense got torched at  times with some players saying they disliked the Scheme.   He is getting exposed for how inept he is. 

-Caldwell Exposed:  To be blunt, the team lacks talent on defense on every level.  Most of our starting Defense would be backups on most teams.   Caldwell made decisions to let players go for peanuts with no suitable replacements.   I hear the salary cap excuse but the truth is we could of afforded to pay some of those core defensive players.   At every level this defense needs an overhaul.   Taven Bryan is looking like another 1st round bust to add to Caldwell's resume as well.

These 2 kind of go hand in hand and one could deduct Wash sucks due to the lack of talent that you noted under the Caldwell Exposed paragraph but I guess it's a little of both Suck + Lack of Talent = Bad Defense.
(10-05-2020, 10:02 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-04-2020, 09:17 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]-Todd Wash:  Most people wanted him fired last year.   This Gus Bradley leftover runs a Scheme that most Offensive coordinators knows how to beat.  That 2017 defense got torched at  times with some players saying they disliked the Scheme.   He is getting exposed for how inept he is. 

These 2 kind of go hand in hand and one could deduct Wash sucks due to the lack of talent that you noted under the Caldwell Exposed paragraph but I guess it's a little of both Suck + Lack of Talent = Bad Defense.

Exactly right.  Could we do a few things better with the scheme?  Absolutely.  Would it have a huge impact on our performance?  Not with the current roster.  I am actually shocked we have a win.  Week 1 was an aberation that seems like months ago.
Positives: No need to bother with false hope. They are who we thought they were. The games are close, which is more than we can say of games with the prior two starting QBs. Two of Minshew's INT have been tip drills, and that's either poor fortune or bad technique. We have a good core to build around on offense, and plenty of capital to rebuild the D this coming offseason. New GM or not, there will be a new DC, and we'll be able to build a roster that suits their preference, and the excuses can go out the door.

I am super impressed with Cole turning things around. How many of us imagined he wouldn't even make the week 1 roster?
I am positive there is now one less game to lose.
(10-05-2020, 09:28 AM)ATLjag Wrote: [ -> ]Trevor.

Too many bad teams this year. You are going to have to go winless to insure a shot at Trevor.
Chark is waaaay better than I thought. Stud