Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: How this team can compete.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This falls on the shoulders of Gruden. The way this team competes and sometimes even wins is very simple:

Time of Possession 

Ball control offense.

Keep the lousy defense off the field.

Limit Minshew’s attempts per game to 20-25. Run the ball. Control the clock. When they start to stack the box, it should leave receivers in 1 on 1 situations and create play action opportunities. Get into 3rd and manageable situations.

I get that it is easier said than done but the run game has been effective when used.

This same game plan worked very well for the Jason Garrett led Dallas Cowboys from 2014 onward. In 2014, they had Demarco Murray at tailback. Obviously their line was a lot better than the Jags current line.
Dude, that sounds like the one hit wonder 2017 game plan. Pass on that boring plan.
Score 40 points a game and maybe win 6.
Ball control offense don't work so good when you're already down 14.

That was the problem we had for ages. The D is built for shootouts (cripes the entire LEAGUE is built for shootouts for that matter), and we're nickel and diming our way downfield, but one penalty puts you in an insurmountable hole. Punt, give up points, and now you're in a deeper hole.
How we win is getting rid of our defensive coordinator for starters. Don't put the blame and load on a coordinator that is doing much better than the other. Fix the problems, not try to force the other to over come the short comings. Its a team game, it requires all aspects to do their part. If we can't fix the defense and don't win, then so be it.
(10-06-2020, 07:30 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Score 40 points a game and maybe win 6.

40 points a game would have been good enough to win all 4 so far.
Does anyone remember this game where one could control the entire quarter with 1 single running play?

[Image: s-l640.jpg]
Get rid of the front office, coaches, improve most of the players and hope for the best.
(10-07-2020, 11:47 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: [ -> ]Get rid of the front office, coaches, improve most of the players and hope for the best.

Pretty much go the same route as an expansion team.
(10-07-2020, 12:04 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-07-2020, 11:47 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: [ -> ]Get rid of the front office, coaches, improve most of the players and hope for the best.

Pretty much go the same route as an expansion team.

We have have a worse record over the last decade than any expansion team has.
(10-07-2020, 10:10 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone remember this game where one could control the entire quarter with 1 single running play?

[Image: s-l640.jpg]

I do remember that game. Nothing but run plays. Then they released the kelly green one that introduced passing!! Early '80s mobile gaming glory.
It's unfortunate that the offense has to try and carry most of the weight of the team. I do think that they need to try and be a well oiled machine and perform as best as they can. I think that the offense needs to do whatever it can to make sure it's rolling, regardless of what the defense is doing. I do think that the offense may get discouraged by the play of the defense and that affects some of the decisons that it makes. Like why Jay has been pass happy the past couple of games instead of utilizing the run more. He even said he was pass happy in the Miami game and should have run the ball more. The team is effective running the ball and James has been playing well. They need to do more of that and I think that will help Gardner feel more comfortable. Gardner has commented before how he feels good about the running game and likes when they are running the ball.

Also, here is an interesting advanced statistic called DVOA (Defense Adjusted Value over average) that shows how the Jags offense has been doing this year compared to other teams. Look at this tweet/the company the Jags offense is in:

https://twitter.com/PintOfJack/status/13...1735912449

Someone else explained a bit more about DVOA and how it's describes the Jags offense/percentage:

https://twitter.com/BpodNFL/status/1313625900341223425

Every team on this list except the Jags is a playoff caliber team some are Super Bowl Caliber teams. It definitely makes you wonder just how much more successful the Jaguars could be if the defense wasn't so bad. And if the defense helped the team out more.

Here's a link that delves into more statistics/rankings for team using different types of DVOA and other metrics. You can see how the Jags stack up in various areas including offensively. And how that compares to other teams including bad teams like the Jets and Giants who are bad in different areas especially offensively.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-r...oa-ratings
This team can compete by winning more 1 on 1 battles and executing a lot better
(10-07-2020, 09:59 AM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-06-2020, 07:30 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Score 40 points a game and maybe win 6.

40 points a game would have been good enough to win all 4 so far.

Lol, you know that every time we score they get the ball back, yes?
(10-08-2020, 05:52 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-07-2020, 09:59 AM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]40 points a game would have been good enough to win all 4 so far.

Hahaha, that’s a good one. I hadn’t heard that one before. Well played sir.
they can't not with doug as HC
The only way this team competes is from a covid forfeit from the other team

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the stats. So far if I am being honest, the RB has played excellent and is proving to be a bold decision. Unfortunately the team has not been built very well. Caldwell is outstanding at accumulating picks and developing strategies for player replacement. If we just had someone who could resign and retain talented players and do better in free agency.

I believe the coaching is substandard but the front office is a major hindrance to the long term.

The ownership has to reel all this in and stop stomping on the fans.
(10-09-2020, 09:39 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the stats. So far if I am being honest, the RB has played excellent and is proving to be a bold decision. Unfortunately the team has not been built very well. Caldwell is outstanding at accumulating picks and developing strategies for player replacement.  If we just had someone who could resign and retain talented players and do better in free agency.

I believe the coaching is substandard but the front office is a major hindrance to the long term.

The ownership has to reel all this in and stop stomping on the fans.

Huh?

Who cares if Caldwell accumulates picks if the picks that he makes stink.

He is HORRIBLE at developing strategies for player replacement.  When we signed all those free agents on the d-line and had a production surge on D in 2017 and 2018, he knew they were too expensive and aging for it to be sustained.  So he drafted 3-1st round picks behind them that are on d-line now.  And they are terrible.  How is that "outstanding"?!?!?!   Wallbash

Resigning and retaining players, and getting free agents IS Caldwell's job.  And he is horrendous at it.

I am an advocate of accumulating WINS, not draft picks.  Why don't we try that with our next GM? At least we both agree Caldwell needs to go!
(10-08-2020, 05:52 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-07-2020, 09:59 AM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]40 points a game would have been good enough to win all 4 so far.

Yeah... and every time we don't score... they get the ball back......

What's your point? Because mine was, if we had scored 40 points in our 3 losses, they'd be wins. Based on the other teams scoring less than 40.
Pages: 1 2