Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jay Gruden
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Curious. Was he a Dave hire, a Doug hire or both? Heck or even an ownership involvement hire (dad or son)?

Also being that he was a prior head coach, why did he take this job already knowing what he was getting into. An almost complete gutting of a team, potential tanking, and what ever else you want to add. How would he have succeeded here to land him another HC job with what we had on the table?

Maybe I missed something some folks already know, but could Khan keep Dave and promote Jay in the future? I mean I thought about it when the Gruden hire was announced.
Gruden looked like one of those O masterminds when he was at Cincy. Very good O with Dalton at QB. He was expected to turn Washington around but that franchise has problems bigger than the HC (at one time they had Shanahan, McVay and La Fleur as coaches!). That franchise is a mess and he had awful injuries. 

It seems to be the route for fired HC's, they have to take a OC/DC role where they impress again. Pagano is DC at Chicago, Bowles DC at Tampa, Marrone was hired as our Oline coach but seemed over qualified for that.

I think hes a safe backup choice. If you see someone else you like you can make the move, if not you have someone you can promote and hopefully repeat his successes and not failures.
(10-11-2020, 11:58 AM)JAGFAN4EVER! Wrote: [ -> ]Curious. Was he a Dave hire, a Doug hire or both? Heck or even an ownership involvement hire (dad or son)?

Also being that he was a prior head coach, why did he take this job already knowing what he was getting into. An almost complete gutting of a team, potential tanking, and what ever else you want to add. How would he have succeeded here to land him another HC job with what we had on the table?

Maybe I missed something some folks already know, but could Khan keep Dave and promote Jay in the future? I mean I thought about it when the Gruden hire was announced.

Hell no.  We tried the in-house promotion of an assistant.  We need a total coaching staff and front office purge.  Anything less will keep the same stench in the building!
He needed a job and the Jags were terrible from coaching but had a good level of young talent on offense. He also knows it will be a short stint where he gets the HC or leaves for another job.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
If he becomes head coach, he would need to hire other people and get rid of the current staff
(10-11-2020, 12:42 PM)Newton Wrote: [ -> ]If he becomes head coach, he would need to hire other people and get rid of the current staff

I would at least keep Keenan.
(10-11-2020, 12:46 PM)JAGFAN4EVER! Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-11-2020, 12:42 PM)Newton Wrote: [ -> ]If he becomes head coach, he would need to hire other people and get rid of the current staff

Agreed - and that's me being objective about it.
(10-11-2020, 12:46 PM)JAGFAN4EVER! Wrote: [ -> ]

Agreed. I want us to try and have some guys that genuinely love Jacksonville and make players want to stay. When you look at how much people like Brunell, Boselli, Mojo, Fred still do and love this team, we should utilise that.
Wow, someone really wants Gruden as HC? hilarious
This fan base loves having a losing team. You defended Gene, Bradley, Caldwell and now you are ok with Gruden as HC lol

BTW, his play calling has been mediocre at best the last few games.
Dilla said Gruden had too much baggage for the Jags to consider as HC. It is pretty surprising that his name flew under the radar so much when the WFT sexism stories were breaking, I suspect if he were elevated to HC he would get more of the blame aimed at him.
Gruden's lack of creativity with how he uses personnel packages and formations is making it easy for defenses.

You can't run up the middle every time you line up in a power I formation.

You can't give the ball to Shenault every time he lines up in the backfield.

You can't throw the ball every time Thompson is in at RB.

Defenses key on these things and if you don't change up what you do with these personnel packages and formations to take advantage of what the defense starts to key on, you are handcuffing your offense.