Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Would you trade for Matt Ryan?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Matt Ryan? 

https://dailysnark.com/2020/10/21/report...hnB_5YyUUs

Honestly it’s just baseless rumor to me, but fun to play hypotheticals; would you do it? I would. I don’t see is getting Trevor with the Jets out-sucking us by a razor thin margin. 

Get Ryan, use him as a patch job until we can target and get a QB in the draft. We have the draft picks to do it
It only makes sense if he is cheap, and if the Jags are certain they won't be able to get Trevor. Then having a "professional QB" who could help the rest of the team develop and allow the Jags to finally be mediocre could make sense.

I am worried that Matt Ryan tends to be below average when Julio Jones is not in the line up.

Honestly, I think he will cost too much draft capital in a trade.
(10-21-2020, 12:46 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: [ -> ]Matt Ryan? 

Honestly it’s just baseless rumor to me, but fun to play hypotheticals; would you do it? I would. I don’t see is getting Trevor with the Jets out-sucking us by a razor thin margin. 

Get Ryan, use him as a patch job until we can target and get a QB in the draft. We have the draft picks to do it

I don't want to patch anything until the season is over.  I have converted to the tanking philosophy.  As for Trevor, I'd love to have him, but if not, I'll take the next best QB in the draft.  So many great QBs were not chosen with the #1 pick.  We can find one.
(10-21-2020, 01:08 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-21-2020, 12:46 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: [ -> ]Matt Ryan? 

I don't want to patch anything until the season is over.  I have converted to the tanking philosophy.  As for Trevor, I'd love to have him, but if not, I'll take the next best QB in the draft.  So many great QBs were not chosen with the #1 pick.  We can find one.

It’s obviously not a rigorous scientific conclusion, but every non-number 1 pick QB we have drafted in the first round has been a bust
It would be a worthless transaction.  Give us any QB in the league, we're still not a playoff team this year.  Let Minshew finish the year, gathering as much experience and the largest body of work as possible.  Then, in the offseason, make the decision about his future here.
It depends on where we draft, who we draft, what are our other options and what the price tag would be? I'd need a lot of questions answered before I could answer that.
Matt Ryan? Lol.

I'll go out on a limb and say that Minshew > Matt Ryan.

This team is bad, the only QB that could even come close to fixing this would be Aaron Rodgers. There's just too many issues that need to be addressed. Starting with the coaching staff.
[Image: giphy.gif]
(10-21-2020, 01:33 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]It depends on where we draft, who we draft, what are our other options and what the price tag would be? I'd need a lot of questions answered before I could answer that.

I think it is very unlikely that we draft number one overall. We picked a year when other teams are tanking as well. So let’s say we’re still top 5 however
I think We would send Matt Ryan straight into early retirement if he played here. You saw what happened last time we had a pure “pocket passer” it wasn’t pretty. We would Make Matt Ryan look like Blaine Gabbert. Honestly at this point, I wouldn’t even consider us a professional football team. We are starting players that wouldn’t make other teams’ practice squads. It’s pathetic
Sure !!!! have him bring Jones, Hurst, Gage and Ridley with him.
(10-21-2020, 01:19 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-21-2020, 01:08 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]I don't want to patch anything until the season is over.  I have converted to the tanking philosophy.  As for Trevor, I'd love to have him, but if not, I'll take the next best QB in the draft.  So many great QBs were not chosen with the #1 pick.  We can find one.

It’s obviously not a rigorous scientific conclusion, but every non-number 1 pick QB we have drafted in the first round has been a bust

LOL.  What does #1 overall guarantee?

Jameis Winston
Sam Bradford
JaMarcus Russell
Alex Smith - not horrible, but #1 overall?
Baker Mayfield - see above
David Carr
Jeff George
Tim Couch

I don't care where you draft, QB more than any other position, is a crapshoot.
(10-21-2020, 03:11 PM)RicoTx Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-21-2020, 01:19 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: [ -> ]It’s obviously not a rigorous scientific conclusion, but every non-number 1 pick QB we have drafted in the first round has been a bust

LOL.  What does #1 overall guarantee?

Jameis Winston
Sam Bradford
JaMarcus Russell
Alex Smith - not horrible, but #1 overall?
Baker Mayfield - see above
David Carr
Jeff George
Tim Couch

I don't care where you draft, QB more than any other position, is a crapshoot.

I get that. Kind of my exact point; number one doesn’t guarantee anything either way.
(10-21-2020, 01:46 PM)Minshew Mania Wrote: [ -> ]Matt Ryan? Lol.

This team is bad, the only QB that could even come close to fixing this would be Aaron Rodgers. There's just too many issues that need to be addressed. Starting with the coaching staff.

This might be the stupidest comment I have seen on this board... and THAT is saying something.
Pfft ....no vet quarterback can run for his life as well as GM15 can.
this team has been demolished by DC crazy trades and bologna doug's inept coaching
(10-21-2020, 02:14 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-21-2020, 01:33 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]It depends on where we draft, who we draft, what are our other options and what the price tag would be? I'd need a lot of questions answered before I could answer that.

I think it is very unlikely that we draft number one overall. We picked a year when other teams are tanking as well. So let’s say we’re still top 5 however

I still need to know what the price tag would be and would he accept a 2 year deal? I still wanna go into the future with a young QB, whether that is in the 2021 draft or 2022 draft and I certainly wouldn't give up a high pick or a long term deal for Ryan. He would just be a placeholder. I also need to know where Kyle Trask would be projected in the draft and if Mac Jones would declare as well? Those would be my 2nd and 3rd choices behind Lawrence. 

I don't see giving up high draft choices for an older QB when we have so many holes to fill on the roster. If I'm sitting there at pick #2 and Lawrence is gone, it's an easy choice. I run to the podium and select OT Penei Sewell. He's a generational LT. If I'm sitting at #3 or lower, I look to trade down and accumulate another first rounder for the 2022 draft, so we can find a QB in that draft. I then use our current picks and picks we acquired by trading down to build up the D-Line, Safety, CB, TE and possibly LT positions. If either Trask or Jones is still on the board in the 2nd or 3rd rounds, I might consider taking one of them, depending on who is available.
Nah. he got a weak arm. Not as weak as Minshew though.
NO!  He is a pocket QB up there in age. We don't have the talent to be good with him.
Nope.  I would rather sign a veteran "off the street" before I would make a trade and that would only be because of an injury.
(10-21-2020, 04:12 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-21-2020, 01:46 PM)Minshew Mania Wrote: [ -> ]Matt Ryan? Lol.

This might be the stupidest comment I have seen on this board... and THAT is saying something.

To be clear here, I am not suggesting the Jags go get Ryan.  We are definitely not in "win now" mode with a QB putting us over the top.  But to suggest that Minshew is better than Matt Ryan is truly ridiculous.  Other points:

1.  Minshew is running for his life half the time because he holds on to the ball too long.  Our tackles occasionally struggle, but he doesn't help them much either.  He is slow with his reads.
2.  Ryan ID's the defense much quicker and typically gets the ball out on time
3.  Ryan's arm is FAR superior to Minshew.  Minshew can't make all the throws... Ryan can.
4.  Minshew is shorter than Ryan and doesn't throw from the pocket well... an important skill in a West Coast offense.  Shorter pocket QB's tend to overthrow short routes and underthrows deep routes because their release trajectory is typically higher to get over D-linemen.  We saw that against Detroit.

Again, I don't want Ryan here.  Let's shoot for a true franchise QB that can be here for the next decade.
Pages: 1 2