Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Gardner has multiple injuries in his throwing hand
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
According to Adam Schefter Gardner has multiple fractures and a straignted ligament in his right thumb. Gardner has had issues with his thumb since October 11, when the team played houston. But the Jaguars didn't know about the extent of his injuries until this week. If he's unable to go after the bye Mike Glennon may get to start:

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/...0238296068

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/...7556073472
Of course the jags will go Glennon over Luton. Seasons over, see what you got with the unknown
Geez... Luton should start, not Glennon
I don't see a reason to start Mike Glennon. If anything, let the young kid Jake Luton play.

I also wonder how much of this is legit, and how much of this is just something to "shake things up" like Marrone said he wanted to do.
I do wonder if they would consider starting Jake over Mike Glennon. Maybe if they start Jake he will look decent.

Also, I wonder if Gardner's injuries is one of the reasons why he has seemed a bit off at times in games. (Or at least games since the Texans one).
Seems like with a bye week, that would be enough time to get Luton up to speed and ready to play.
New worst case scenario: we start Luton. He looks slightly above average. Jags pass on Lawrence / Fields to give Luton a look next season.
Lol this makes the team sound extremely competent.
(10-29-2020, 12:07 PM)High Octane Wrote: [ -> ]New worst case scenario: we start Luton. He looks slightly above average. Jags pass on Lawrence / Fields to give Luton a look next season.

Lol, no way would they pass on Lawrence for Luton unless dude comes out here and kills it

We have always been famous for losing the bye week
(10-29-2020, 12:09 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: [ -> ]Lol this makes the team sound extremely competent.

Well Minshew was obviously hiding the injury, knowing his job/career are on the line.

That being said, this also explains Minshew's decline a bit.
I wonder if he tries/they let him play through it. Favre and Big Ben played with broken thumbs.
(10-29-2020, 12:21 PM)Minshew Mania Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-29-2020, 12:09 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: [ -> ]Lol this makes the team sound extremely competent.

Well Minshew was obviously hiding the injury, knowing his job/career are on the line.

That dog don't hunt with me.
They will probably play both Glennon and Luton to see who will be the back up next year behind the new QB, or maybe they will trade for Fitzpatrick since Dallas is saying that the rumors they are trading for him are false

Yeah, I'm thinking he wasn't saying much about it, because he knows he's playing for his job and it's not secure. I do think this could help explain at least some of his decline (including his accuracy with his throws which has been going down for a few weeks). 

In the Miami game before he started feeling discomfort (and the Jags lost big in) his completion percentage was 71%. The Bengals it was 67%, Texans 63%. It's been declining every week with steeper drop offs after the Texans game in the Lions game and the Chargers. There is a 20% difference in accuracy between the Miami game and the Chargers one. I do think his injuries could have been a contributing factor in why he was missing at least some of his throws. Including throws that may have been easier for him to make without an injury.

I hope he heals up and comes back playing better. I also wonder how long he might be out. 

(10-29-2020, 12:29 PM)PS9 Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder if he tries/they let him play through it. Favre and Big Ben played with broken thumbs.

He might try and play through it. I could see him trying to do that. But I think he might actually be better off letting resting more and letting it heal longer. Especially if it is a big reason why he has declined. If he allows himself to properly heal up maybe he will come back looking more like he did the first couple of weeks and his accuracy will be much better. If he tries to play through he may continue to miss important throws and people may not be sure how much of that is injury/vs him just declining for whatever reasons that aren't injury related.

The downside to sitting out for him though is that he may risk Jake (or heck maybe even Glennon, lol) coming in and playing well. And maybe winning a game or two. And then we have some sort of QB "controversy". It's a tougher situation for Gardner to be in, but I hope things work out for him.
Let Glennon start so we lose out. Luton has upside and might pull off a win or two.

He was declining before the Houston game.  But I'm sure it didn't help afterwards.
This doctor says that Gardner could miss at least four weeks, maybe more. And that he might have an injury that is similar to the one that Drew Brees had last season. (Where he missed five weeks.) He says that if the injury is what he suspects that this definitely affected Gardner's accuracy, and that he believes that he could end up having surgery. He says that it sounds like at the very least Gardner might miss another 2 to 3 weeks in addition to the bye week that is going on. Though, maybe he could miss more. I thought this Dr. did a nice job of explaining on what he thinks could be wrong with Gardner. Here's hoping it's not quite this bad, but here is an opinion from a medical professional:

https://twitter.com/DrJesseMorse/status/...3646601228
I am assuming it wasn't as bad as Brees if he played 2 games with it and wasn't even getting treatment for it from the Jags sports medicine team.  Probably more like Big Ben's injury where he kept on playing with it.  It probably got worse last game and he figured he'd get it checked out. Pure speculation, but that would be my guess.
That explains why the defense has been giving up 100 pts a game
GM15 deserves a chance after healing ...it not to remain the Jag's starter but at least not being cast aside and given a shot to stay in the mix.
He single handedly restored a lot of faith in the Jags when he came in that first game when foles went down.
Pages: 1 2 3