Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The elephant in the room -- ARob's struggles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
For the most part it's safe to say that the Jaguars offense goes as ARob goes. ARob has a big day, so does the offense. ARob is shut down, so is the offense. It's great to see guys like Marqise and our starting TEs stepping up and doing more, but it's imperative to get ARob going. Oley was just talking about his struggles relating to teams scheming him out with double teams. He talked about the need to move him around to keep teams from doubling him.

I've seen ARob doubled quite a bit last season as well, but it didn't seem to bother him. Are teams doing it more? It's been said lately that ARob may be better than the great Jimmy Smooth. Well, Jimmy would often say that a play didn't go by where he wasn't doubled. I know there were a few games like against the Bills with Nate Clemments were a man corner took him out of it, but that was very rare. Teams always schemed for and doubled Jimmy, but that never stopped him.

ARob has established himself as a top 10 WR with stats last year that rivaled the best in the league, but to truly claim elite status we need to see him rise above any scheme to stop him. I believe he will, and that Oley will put him in position to do so, but I really do feel that teams taking him out so far has much to do with why the Jaguars offense has been sputtering.

Blake also hasn't been giving him any decent chances to make a play. He has constantly over throwed him.
Quote:Blake also hasn't been giving him any decent chances to make a play. He has constantly over throwed him.
Well lets be real here... 10 of Blake's attempts last Sunday were screens behind the LoS, not going down field. Is that because of Ivory not being in and Blake struggling? Is it stubbornness of Oly? Is it a combo of all of these, and AROB is possibly getting more attention in coverage? All I know is, you have to target the guy for him to get a chance, and we did that rarely vs SD. 
Already a thread on this.

I don't get the "struggles" thing about #15.

He's just getting more attention from defenses and Blake is actually the one struggling.

A-Rob will be fine if Blake can give him a chance.

That hasn't happened much yet.
Maybe if he weren't getting hacked and tackled every time he goes up for a pass. I know the guy is a physically dominant receiver but that should be an advantage, not one that allows the defense free reigns to compensate by playing outside the rules to even the odds.
It's Bortles whose struggling, not Arob.
AR15 isn't struggling at all. He's dealing with a much given respect from every Defense he faces and will continue to face. Getting mugged every other play doesn't help, but it's clear the refs aren't going to give us any help there.

It's the play calling, or Bortles changing plays that's screwing everything up. I'd like to think Bortles is given the right to change said plays up, as multiple plays are called in and its on him to change to a run/pass option etc.

We don't know what's going on play call wise, but it's clear that something has clearly changed from last year, in the way this team is attacking (or lack there of) opposing Defenses. I think they've tried to put too much stock into running the football and have gone away from their down field attacking Offense. This Offense lives off of chunk plays. That's why they led the league in explosive plays of 20+ yards down field, this past season.

I seen something the other day that said they've targeted Yeldon more times, than both AR15 and Hurns combined in these first 2 weeks. The way this Offense has regressed this season in the two games, it looks like the 2013 Gabbert/Henne led teams.

Of all the things lacking about this team...ARob?...really? He's not some magical figure who can catch passes that aren't being thrown to him while he's being openly tackled during every route he runs.

Let's worry about trying to step it up and get 70 yards on the ground this game.
Quote:Blake also hasn't been giving him any decent chances to make a play. He has constantly over throwed him.
So everything is blake's fault. lol. Ya'll a joke
Quote:For the most part it's safe to say that the Jaguars offense goes as ARob goes. ARob has a big day, so does the offense. ARob is shut down, so is the offense. It's great to see guys like Marqise and our starting TEs stepping up and doing more, but it's imperative to get ARob going. Oley was just talking about his struggles relating to teams scheming him out with double teams. He talked about the need to move him around to keep teams from doubling him.

I've seen ARob doubled quite a bit last season as well, but it didn't seem to bother him. Are teams doing it more? It's been said lately that ARob may be better than the great Jimmy Smooth. Well, Jimmy would often say that a play didn't go by where he wasn't doubled. I know there were a few games like against the Bills with Nate Clemments were a man corner took him out of it, but that was very rare. Teams always schemed for and doubled Jimmy, but that never stopped him.

ARob has established himself as a top 10 WR with stats last year that rivaled the best in the league, but to truly claim elite status we need to see him rise above any scheme to stop him. I believe he will, and that Oley will put him in position to do so, but I really do feel that teams taking him out so far has much to do with why the Jaguars offense has been sputtering.

I am not as concerned as it appears as you are. He had a little over 70 yards in the season opener. And had it not been for ohhhhhhhh I don't knowwwwwww.... five or six muggings that went uncalled by Shields he was easily looking at a minimum of 110 yards and a TD. He was grabbed on plays in the first half that could have been chunk gains. And San Diego was just an overall meltdown. I think he was only targeted five times in that entire game. So I don't know if that's Blake just not looking over there or maybe Olsen is emphasizing too much on spreading the wealth. But so far it's too early to tell. We saw enough very early and often in the pre-season that when he's left one on one or in certain coverages he's plenty capable of getting open and finding those back shoulder throws. But to sound the alarms two games in. Where he played decently in the opener despite being hog tied by Shields and the refs blowing no calls. And just the historical track record of this team playing like absolute garbage / trash fire on the West Coast. C'mon man....... 

Quote:Already a thread on this.

I don't get the "struggles" thing about #15.

He's just getting more attention from defenses and Blake is actually the one struggling.

A-Rob will be fine if Blake can give him a chance.

They hasn't happened much yet.
So julius thomas and allen hurns are playing well and blake throwing them the ball too so isn't they're stuggling too? Please stop blaming everything on Blake and act like A-Rob is beyond criticism because it's now getting annoying as if some of you got some kind of hidden agenda towards certain players on this team. Let's go back to A-Rob big year last season how many of his yards was aginst elite corners? He played 2 good to elite corners this season and they did a great job on him so maybe he can step his game up instead of many of you trying to blame Blake for his struggles. If any of you think Blake sucks go root for another team because he's our QB until the franchise said otherwise. 
Quote:So julius thomas and allen hurns are playing well and blake throwing them the ball too so isn't they're stuggling too? Please stop blaming everything on Blake and act like A-Rob is beyond criticism because it's now getting annoying as if some of you got some kind of hidden agenda towards certain players on this team. Let's go back to A-Rob big year last season how many of his yards was aginst elite corners? He played 2 good to elite corners this season and they did a great job on him so maybe he can step his game up instead of many of you trying to blame Blake for his struggles. If any of you think Blake sucks go root for another team because he's our QB until the franchise said otherwise. 

I think those with eyes can see he's playing just fine. Thomas, Hurns and Robinson all have nine catches a piece this year through two games. And they're all within the 130 - 140 yard range as a group. I am calling scheme on this. Not play. It's pretty clear we want to spread the ball around. Now Robinson WAS targeted 20 times in two games so far. And he SHOULD be the most targeted player. But as I cited earlier. He was straight up mugged in the opener after being targeted 15 times. And this team just flatout can't get it done as an overall team on the West coast. It will get better in time. But after two games. It's wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too early to be playing the blame game and jumping ship on our best players on this team. I totally put it on scheme though. These coaches don't know how to get it done. 

Quote:I think those with eyes can see he's playing just fine. Thomas, Hurns and Robinson all have nine catches a piece this year through two games. And they're all within the 130 - 140 yard range as a group. I am calling scheme on this. Not play. It's pretty clear we want to spread the ball around. Now Robinson WAS targeted 20 times in two games so far. And he SHOULD be the most targeted player. But as I cited earlier. He was straight up mugged in the opener after being targeted over 10 times. And this team just flatout can't get it done as an overall team on the West coast. It will get better in time. But after two games. It's wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too early to be playing the blame game and jumping ship on our best players on this team. I totally put it on scheme though. These coaches don't know how to get it done. 
i agree
And I am with you all on this run game man. It's been abysmal so far in two games. And it's disappointing because on the starting side during the preseason it actually looked like it would be fixed this year and it would be stronger. It's setting this entire offense back man. I hope Ivory can come in and jump start it. But so far Yeldon IS NOT the answer. Denard Robinson IS NOT the answer. It's pretty clear Caldwell went out and signed Ivory to fix it. Yeldon is averaging 2.4 YPC or something abysmal like that. And he's had maybe 60? 70? yards on the ground so far? Put it to you all this way. Bortles was our leading rusher last week in San Diego. That should say it all. Bortles isn't Vick or Cunningham. That shouldn't be happening on an offense that's trying to be balanced. 

Haven't seen struggles from Arob, just [BLEEP] play calling and QB play.

In game one Bortles had complete [BLEEP] for ball placement and threw Arob into some big hits that stopped him from making catches.

In game two they seemed to have a terrible offensive plan.
Blake isn't throwing it down field. When he does he's inaccurate.
I think the difference is that opposing coaches are planning for ARob and Bortles now (lets face it, it would be a surprise if they weren't) and the main difference seems to be that they've noticed how effective the pair of them were with deep balls last season and they're trying to take that out.

If's not ARob suddenly losing his ability to find space and catch a ball or Bortles forgetting to throw it to ARob, it's tactical and we must find a way around it.

That might involve using Lee, Hurns and Thomas more, to force them to drop off ARob. Maybe it involves more intermediate throws to ARob. But perhaps most crucially it has to involve running game - and Ivory has to play a big part in that.

If Gus and the coaching team can figure this out, then they've done their job and our offense looks good.
Quote:Haven't seen struggles from Arob, just [BAD WORD REMOVED] play calling and QB play.

In game one Bortles had complete [BAD WORD REMOVED] for ball placement and threw Arob into some big hits that stopped him from making catches.

In game two they seemed to have a terrible offensive plan.
So it's everybody else's fault except for him? 
You can make a case either way about AR15. I don't care what anyone says, there were a few catches that he normally would have made against GB that he didn't. Yes they were tough catches but we've all seen him make plenty of those already. SD I can't comment on, the alcohol glasses kinda messed that game up for me. 

Arob has earned the benefit of a doubt. The whole team struggled last week. JT is stealing catches, and I think the majority of us knew that was gonna happen.
Pages: 1 2