Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Play GM After 2 Games
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So, you're Dave Caldwell and you have seen 2 games this season. Let's make an assumption that this tem finishes last in the rankings and will pick first in next year's draft. Now, put away the sheep responses about firing "x" or "Y" That's not what this is about. those things will likely figure themselves out anyhow. What this involves is the overlook at this roster and what changes will need to be made. What I mean is quantity over quality. If there is the chance to trade down and gain extra quality picks, do you pull the trigger? If a couple trades down net an extra 1 as well as a couple of 2's and 3's, is it worth taking the chance on, rather than getting that one dominant guy.

I personally see lots of areas that could be upgraded, and would love  a trade-down scenario. Many spots could potentially be solidified.

I just wonder how close fans see the team  Do they see it like I do, or do they see this team as being a player or two away from being elite.

So, go ahead and weigh in as to where you think this team is right now.

If we aren't drafting in a premium spot, I wouldn't mind moving down, but my suspicion is that we will be picking in the top 10 again

There are way too many variables for me to answer this question. I need to know where our draft position is, who is ahead of us and behind us, which underclassmen have declared and if any of the players I'm keeping watch of, will be injured before the season ends. Generally, I like trading down, but if I see a premier player on the board that I want, I'd stay put. Right now, my main concern would be changing the defensive scheme. This hybrid 4-3 is not working and I would look for someone who runs a conventional scheme, be it a 4-3 or a 3-4. I believe the players we have would be much more successful in those type of defenses. From there, I adjust by adding in free agency and then, I look to the draft. 

I think we seriously need to draft a running back in the first round because yeldon isn't the long term solution for this team and i would trade him in the off-season to another team that can utilize him. 

Quote:I think we seriously need to draft a running back in the first round because yeldon isn't the long term solution for this team and i would trade him in the off-season to another team that can utilize him.

No thanks to a RB in the first round. Freeman or Perine would be much better in R2.
I would say the left side of the o-line, a vet pass rusher, and sam linebacker are more pressing needs than running back. Yes, the defensive scheme is also a huge problem

Note: I do believe Yeldon was a reach as a high 2nd
I would definitely trade down to pick up extra picks as I think we need a new coach/new scheme.  Although I think there is a solid corps group of players to build around, depth at TE can be improved, depth along the OL is needed, a starting SS, starting LG.  

Assuming we draft in the top 5 once again, I think trading back to 15 or so is a pretty good spot.  

If Khan refuses to fire Gus midseason, good chance we could be drafting 1 or 2 and that could be a bevy of picks and multiple trade back chances.  

Quote:I think we seriously need to draft a running back in the first round because yeldon isn't the long term solution for this team and i would trade him in the off-season to another team that can utilize him.

I'm with you on this. I agree. I'm gonna be asking for a RB in the first round.

Yeldon is not the guy.
Peppers or bust
The talent on the roster is a sustainable contender.  I trust in whatever Caldwell does.  We obviously need the coaching staff that can develop the players.

Fournette

So, you're just writing off Ivory before he even plays a game with us?
Quote:So, you're just writing off Ivory before he even plays a game with us?
No it's not about ivory more so about the young back taking the reins after ivory no long effective in the NFL. Remember Ivory is 28 years old with plenty of pounding on his body and Yeldon isn't the replacement that can take this team running game to the next level as the feature back. 
Quote:So, you're Dave Caldwell and you have seen 2 games this season. Let's make an assumption that this tem finishes last in the rankings and will pick first in next year's draft. Now, put away the sheep responses about firing "x" or "Y" That's not what this is about. those things will likely figure themselves out anyhow. What this involves is the overlook at this roster and what changes will need to be made. What I mean is quantity over quality. If there is the chance to trade down and gain extra quality picks, do you pull the trigger? If a couple trades down net an extra 1 as well as a couple of 2's and 3's, is it worth taking the chance on, rather than getting that one dominant guy.

I personally see lots of areas that could be upgraded, and would love  a trade-down scenario. Many spots could potentially be solidified.

I just wonder how close fans see the team  Do they see it like I do, or do they see this team as being a player or two away from being elite.

Personally I'd take the trade down and continue to bank selections and build for the future. I've always been that way. However, now, I will say this. And we still have to wait for the college season to play out and we still have to wait for the combine, etc. If you know for a fact, or feel in your heart of hearts. If you know for certain that you're starring at a player at a premium position. I don't care if it's QB - LT - WR - RB - DE - CB. If you're starring at the next Peyton Manning. The next Anthony Munoz. The next Jerry Rice. The next Bruce Smith. The next Deion Sanders. You don't trade out of that spot. You take him and hope to God that he can be a cornerstone player for a decade or hopefully more. NOW, if you're REALLY, REALLY good at scouting not just one year ahead but two year's ahead. And you think you can get a guy like THAT & say another solid player that may not be a Hall of Fame caliber player but you're getting say a Todd Gurley type RB or Jordan Reed type TE or Tyron Smith type LT along with a high end player. Take the trade down. 

Quote:So, you're Dave Caldwell and you have seen 2 games this season. Let's make an assumption that this tem finishes last in the rankings and will pick first in next year's draft. Now, put away the sheep responses about firing "x" or "Y" That's not what this is about. those things will likely figure themselves out anyhow. What this involves is the overlook at this roster and what changes will need to be made. What I mean is quantity over quality. If there is the chance to trade down and gain extra quality picks, do you pull the trigger? If a couple trades down net an extra 1 as well as a couple of 2's and 3's, is it worth taking the chance on, rather than getting that one dominant guy.

I personally see lots of areas that could be upgraded, and would love a trade-down scenario. Many spots could potentially be solidified.

I just wonder how close fans see the team Do they see it like I do, or do they see this team as being a player or two away from being elite.

If we are picking first, and bortles played in most games, then he is not the guy and we should draft a QB #1 overall if we have someone graded pretty high. Maybe deshaun watson
If I'm the GM, selecting in the top 10 next year and cannot fire X and Y, then I'd quit.

If quitting is not an option, then I'd trade down with a team in need of a QB (like D. Watson) and draft an OT and a Nose Tackle (run plugger)  and switch to a 3-4 

Quote:No it's not about ivory more so about the young back taking the reins after ivory no long effective in the NFL. Remember Ivory is 28 years old with plenty of pounding on his body and Yeldon isn't the replacement that can take this team running game to the next level as the feature back. 

That's why we got Corey Grant brah!
If I were GM... "You're all Fired!!!! Get out, Get out, Get out before I call the police and they start making typical ballistic police mistakes..."

Quote:If I'm the GM, selecting in the top 10 next year and cannot fire X and Y, then I'd quit.

If quitting is not an option, then I'd trade down with a team in need of a QB (like D. Watson) and draft an OT and a Nose Tackle (run plugger)  and switch to a 3-4 

Personally, I like this idea. I believe we are set up right now to have an pretty effective 3-4 scheme. We could have Jackson and Odrick at DE's. Miller and Abry Jones would compete for the NT job. Ngakoue and Fowler Jr. at OLB. Jack and Poz at ILB's and during the offseason, I would try to get Telvin Smith to add about 20 lbs. to his frame, so he could move to ILB and take over for Poz. You then have Gipson and hopefully a new player, be it a FA or a rookie, at the Safety spots and House, Ramsey and Amukamura at CB's. Yes, we would definitely need to upgrade in some areas, but I believe the defense would be much improved with this type of scheme change.
If we are picking number 1 overall then I am taking Myles Garrett.

Pages: 1 2