Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Gardner Minshew says he has 'begged' to play
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
We would have won with Minshew yesterday

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/3047...egged-play
This just in! Minshew was benched because he served Doug Marrone a sandwich with the BAR S brand of Bologna. Marrone said it was simply unacceptable.
This is the type of stuff I am talking about regarding Doug's behavior towards Gardner that I mentioned in yesterday's game day thread. Gardner has been medically cleared for a few weeks now, I saw some doctors on Twitter including the profootballtalk doctor saying that his thumb injury is healed. I believe that Doug is exaggerating things about Gardner not looking right in practice. Gardner probably looks fine, and no worse than Mike. But Doug is mad at him and won't play him. Doug's is wrong for this and it would serve him right if this somehow backfired on him.
This fan base' appetite for mediocrity always astounds me.
(12-07-2020, 07:41 PM)mal234 Wrote: [ -> ]This is the type of stuff I am talking about regarding Doug's behavior towards Gardner that I mentioned in yesterday's game day thread. Gardner has been medically cleared for a few weeks now, I saw some doctors on Twitter including the profootballtalk doctor saying that his thumb injury is healed. I believe that Doug is exaggerating things about Gardner not looking right in practice. Gardner probably looks fine, and no worse than Mike.  But Doug is mad at him and won't play him. Doug's is wrong for this and it would serve him right if this somehow backfired on him.

No offense man, but who gives a [BLEEP] at this point...?

It's like you feel personally attacked for any scrutiny/criticism against Minshew and take it to heart - unless you are related to him?

We sucked with Minshew at the helm this year and we certainly suck with the others. If Minshew was that much of a difference maker, he would have been on the field ASAP.

The problem for him is that he's not that. He's hit his ceiling as a serviceable backup and showed why he was indeed selected in the 6th round.
Minshew has been awful since week 3
(12-07-2020, 07:48 PM)enigma Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-07-2020, 07:41 PM)mal234 Wrote: [ -> ]This is the type of stuff I am talking about regarding Doug's behavior towards Gardner that I mentioned in yesterday's game day thread. Gardner has been medically cleared for a few weeks now, I saw some doctors on Twitter including the profootballtalk doctor saying that his thumb injury is healed. I believe that Doug is exaggerating things about Gardner not looking right in practice. Gardner probably looks fine, and no worse than Mike.  But Doug is mad at him and won't play him. Doug's is wrong for this and it would serve him right if this somehow backfired on him.

No offense man, but who gives a [BLEEP] at this point...?

It's like you feel personally attacked for any scrutiny/criticism against Minshew and take it to heart - unless you are related to him?

We sucked with Minshew at the helm this year and we certainly suck with the others. If Minshew was that much of a difference maker, he would have been on the field ASAP.

The problem for him is that he's not that. He's hit his ceiling as a serviceable backup and showed why he was indeed selected in the 6th round.

I don't feel personally attacked, I'm simply pointing out stuff that said yesterday about Doug's behavior towards Gardner. And how he's not being truthful about trying to give the team the best chance to win.

I disagree with your assesment about Gardner. I do believe he could be a starter and especially in a better situation. And I remember you being a fan of him as well earlier on. It's interesting to see how quickly you and others have turned against him and decided to dump all over him. But I guess that's what happens when you think the biggest problem with this team is QB play (it's not IMHO). And think that a new QB can magically fix everything. That's not often the case. The Jags could end being in the same position they are next year with whoever they draft, if they don't address other major issues with this team. Including the coaching, which I hope is one of the first things that get addressed and fixed by next season.

And I'm no I'm related to Gardner lol. And if you don't like my posts you can certainly scroll on by them.
(12-07-2020, 07:52 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: [ -> ]Minshew has been awful since week 3

Thats usually what happens when a QB injures his throwing hand.  If our D played the way they have the last 3 or 4 games when Minshew was starting we would have a few more wins.  Is he the future?  No but he gives us the best chance to win
So you think Doug is intentionally throwing games by playing players who are worse than others..... in an attempt to.... what?
(12-07-2020, 07:54 PM)mal234 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-07-2020, 07:48 PM)enigma Wrote: [ -> ]No offense man, but who gives a [BLEEP] at this point...?

I don't feel personally attacked, I'm simply pointing out stuff that said yesterday about Doug's behavior towards Gardner. And how he's not being truthful about trying to give the team the best chance to win.

I disagree with your assesment about Gardner. I do believe he could be a starter and especially in a better situation. And I remember you being a fan of him as well earlier on. It's interesting to see how quickly you and others have turned against him and decided to dump all over him. But I guess that's what happens when you think the biggest problem with this team is QB play (it's not IMHO). And think that a new QB can magically fix everything. That's not often the case. The Jags could end being in the same position they are next year with whoever they draft, if they don't address other issues with this team. Including the coaching, which I hope is one of the first things that get addressed and fixed by next season.

And I'm no I'm related to Gardner lol. And if you don't like my posts you can certainly scroll on by them.

The guy is a 6th rounder and even with all the problems this team had/has he didn't take advantage of his opportunity, that's on him. He played like he lost all confidence, even Chark was frustrated with him.
I also think the guy could become something one day but he needs his confidence back and a good HC (Reid, McVay, Reich, Sean Payton). It's not gonna happen here, even if we get a guy like that as a HC he and the new GM are gonna draft their QB of the future.
(12-07-2020, 07:54 PM)mal234 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-07-2020, 07:48 PM)enigma Wrote: [ -> ]No offense man, but who gives a [BLEEP] at this point...?

I disagree with your assesment about Gardner. I do believe he could be a starter and especially in a better situation. And I remember you being a fan of him as well earlier on. It's interesting to see how quickly you and others have turned against him and decided to dump all over him. But I guess that's what happens when you think the biggest problem with this team is QB play (it's not IMHO). And think that a new QB can magically fix everything. That's not often the case. The Jags could end being in the same position they are next year with whoever they draft, if they don't address other major issues with this team. Including the coaching, which I hope is one of the first things that get addressed and fixed by next season.

Of course I was 100% supportive of Minshew - especially after what we witnessed his first season. I think that "puppy love" affection/magic quickly wore off once he regressed tremendously, even before his injury, this year.

Also, I fully recognize and have addressed that this team has glaring holes in many areas - all of which play a role in our teams demise this year. But to think that QB play is not a major issue is simply being oblivious to the problem. I mean Minshew was straight up missing the mark too much even with a clean pocket and even forcing self-sacks. For as bad as our O-line was last year, this year they have been playing around the league average.

I am confident that most of the top 6 QBs coming out of this draft will be a significant upgrade over what we have at QB currently (especially the top 2 or 3 prospects) - and with the bevy of draft capital that we possess, we need to capitalize on that.
(12-07-2020, 07:57 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-07-2020, 07:52 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: [ -> ]Minshew has been awful since week 3

Thats usually what happens when a QB injures his throwing hand.  If our D played the way they have the last 3 or 4 games when Minshew was starting we would have a few more wins.  Is he the future?  No but he gives us the best chance to win

He is the one who decided to keep quiet and keep playing so that's on him anyway.

And why exactly should we care if he gives us 1 or 2 more wins?

On Oct. 29, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported that Minshew had multiple fractures and a strained ligament in his right thumb. He didn't tell the team about his injury until after a Week 7 loss, despite first feeling pain in his thumb in Jacksonville's Oct. 11 loss to the Texans. 

So he also had bad games before the injury.
I'm tired of watching Minshew running into sacks and forcing throws

Now I wanna see Glennon do it
(12-07-2020, 07:59 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
So you think Doug is intentionally throwing games by playing players who are worse than others..... in an attempt to.... what?

I think that he's angry at Gardner about Gardner not disclosing his injury and it's affecting his behavior. I also think he could be in a don't give a crap mode, because he feels like he's more than likely going to be fired anyway.

Do you think that Mike is a better option for Gardner. For winning? Regardless of whether you think either one of them is a long term starter for the Jags.

Some Jags fans and media members have become really disingenuous when it comes to Gardner and their take on his ability. Some people are trying to make him out to be way worse than what he is, and I think that's a crappy thing to do. Especially since he seems to love being a Jag player. We certainly have seen players that don't want to be Jags and have forced their way off of this team. It's odd that people want to dump on one of the players that actually wants to be here and did provide some hope for the city, even if was brief.

If people don't want Gardner to be the starter regardless of how he plays just say that. And stop with the disingenuous and often untrue comments about how he's played/looked in comparison to other QB's. This is sports, people can't get away with that type of stuff without being called on it.

Going back to Doug, I don't buy that he thinks that Mike really gives them the best chance to win. Especially since the team hasn't won with Mike. (And I'm not trying to dump on Mike, he has looked better than I thought he would. And you can see that he's a veteran QB.) Now, granted the team hasn't really won with much any of the QB's, but still. If you want to win you go with the best option. If you don't want to win, then go with Jake and say you're playing him to get a closer look and evaluate what you want to do with the QB position next season. Heck, they could have even given that excuse as a reason to play Mike. (If they were trying to decide on whether to keep him as a backup next year.)
(12-07-2020, 08:14 PM)mal234 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-07-2020, 07:59 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]So you think Doug is intentionally throwing games by playing players who are worse than others..... in an attempt to.... what?

If people don't want Gardner to be the starter regardless of how he plays just say that. And stop with the disingenuous  and often untrue comments about how he's played/looked in comparison to other QB's. This is sports, people can't get away with that type of stuff without being called on it.

Going back to Doug, I don't buy that he thinks that Mike really gives them the best chance to win. Especially since the team hasn't won with Mike. (And I'm not trying to dump on Mike, he has looked better than I thought he would. And you can see that he's a veteran QB.) Now, granted the team hasn't really won with much any of the QB's, but still. If you want to win you go with the best option. If you don't want to win, then go with Jake and say you're playing him to get a closer look and evaluate what you want to do with the QB position next season. Heck, they could have even given that excuse as a reason to play Mike. (If they were trying to decide on whether to keep him as a backup next year.)

Your first sentence is the very reason why I brought up why your posts come off as feeling personally insulted. We all wanted Minshew to succeed from the get-go but the issue is that he was a major source of the offensive woes our team faced - even far before his injury timeline. If he played good, then who the heck would not want him at the helm as JAGUARS fan? He just regressed to the point where he had to be benched because his performance on the field was unacceptable (even when we take out plays where the source contributing to an error on the play did not originate from Minshew).

So with that, what comments are untrue about Minshew? Nobody is on here with a character assassination on the guy's personality, motivation, or dedication. The aura around the whole "Minshew Magic" was great - the problem was that his play on the field - i.e. what he gets paid to do, led to the major issues on offense early on.

Love the guy and wish him well, but it's not farfetched to say that he's performed to what we expect a 6th round draftee as.
(12-07-2020, 08:31 PM)enigma Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-07-2020, 08:14 PM)mal234 Wrote: [ -> ]If people don't want Gardner to be the starter regardless of how he plays just say that. And stop with the disingenuous  and often untrue comments about how he's played/looked in comparison to other QB's. This is sports, people can't get away with that type of stuff without being called on it.

Your first sentence is the very reason why I brought up why your posts come off as feeling personally insulted. We all wanted Minshew to succeed from the get-go but the issue is that he was a major source of the offensive woes our team faced - even far before his injury timeline. If he played good, then who the heck would not want him at the helm as JAGUARS fan? He just regressed to the point where he had to be benched because his performance on the field was unacceptable (even when we take out plays where the source contributing to an error on the play did not originate from Minshew).

So with that, what comments are untrue about Minshew? Nobody is on here with a character assassination on the guy's personality, motivation, or dedication. The aura around the whole "Minshew Magic" was great - the problem was that his play on the field - i.e. what he gets paid to do, led to the major issues on offense early on.

Love the guy and wish him well, but it's not farfetched to say that he's performed to what we expect a 6th round draftee as.

Again I don't feel personally insulted. I'm just saying that people are not being genuine in some of their criticisms of Gardner. That's it. There was people that wanted him gone after the Miami game, which was his first rough game of the season. That was the third game of the season and people were ready to jump ship on him then. Even though that was his first rougher game of the season. 

As far as people saying untrue stuff, I seem to recall you and other people calling Gardner garbage. Is that a true comment? And there was one person up here who said his arm was worse than Brian Hoyer's lol. Say what you want about Gardner his arm is not worse than Brian Hoyer's who truly has one of the weakest arms I've ever seen on a QB. I called that person out and told them to just to admit they wanted Gardner gone regardless. And they did, which is fine. And that person has actually "insulted" me, but I don't care because their comments are really silly and actually make me laugh at times. 

I think that some people largely wanted to bail on Gardner because they wanted the Jags to draft Trevor, Justin or another higher draft QB. That's not to say he hasn't had downs or faults because he has. But I think it doesn't matter what Gardner does or doesn't do because there are, people that don't want him to remain the starter regardless of what he does. Because people want Trevor or Justin (or maybe someone else) at just about any cost. And that's fine, if they will just admit that. And just don't try and make him out to be worse than what he is.

And that type of thing isn't unique to Jags fans. Other fans do it too. Heck, some Browns fans do that to Baker, and he's played the best he's ever played and has their team at 9-3. Yet you still have fans not satisfied with him because they think that the grass is always going to be greener with another QB. He's not enough for them, even though IMO, he's good enough to contend with that team which has a  lot of good players. And seem to have found a pretty good HC in Kevin Stefanski. That team is good enough and won't be able to draft a high round QB anytime soon. And should stick with Baker for the time being and develop him since that's working. And should really take into consideration all the instability he's had with the Browns regarding coaching. He's had four HC's in three years. I think he'll be fine with stability in Kevin Stefanski. And that team has some good young players and I think will only get better.

But there are fans that want him gone and were even criticizing his performance yesterday which was his best performance as a pro. One of them said he was "terrible" in the second half of that game. (Which was not true, he had a fumble, towards the end, but other than that he did a nice job of managing the game and going along with the more conservative playing calling that Kevin did, once the Browns went up really big. And they were called out for that by other fans, because people saw that game and they don't like people lying about people's play.

So instead of 1-11 we would be 3-9.  We still stink
(12-07-2020, 09:06 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-07-2020, 07:57 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]Thats usually what happens when a QB injures his throwing hand.  If our D played the way they have the last 3 or 4 games when Minshew was starting we would have a few more wins.  Is he the future?  No but he gives us the best chance to win

So instead of 1-11 we would be 3-9.  We still stink

Yeah but we miss on drafting better players though! that is always better!
Told you all weeks ago this was suspicious as hell.

Lets just remember 

Minshew 65.9% pass completion, 1855yds passing, 13 TD's 5 Ints

Luton 54.5% pass completion, 624yds, 2 TD's, 6 Int

Glennon  62.3% pass completion, 515 yds, 3 TD's 2 ints

Please, whats wrong with you guys? This isnt even close.
Glennon is doing a good job at losing. Lets keep him in. The Franchise QB is not on the roster.

Minshew has a future as a journeyman. Kinda like Fitzpatrick.
Pages: 1 2 3