Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Chuck Yeager, the first man to break the sound barrier, dead at 97
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A True American Hero........

Chuck Yeager, the first man to break the sound barrier, dead at 97

Chuck Yeager, the historic test pilot portrayed in the movie “The Right Stuff,” is dead at the age of 97, according to a tweet posted on his account late Monday.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/chuck-yeager-...dead-at-97
I remember his old DieHard battery commercial: "I've been shot at, shot up, and shot down..."

Just think how much the world has changed in the lifetime of a person this age. More than at any time in the history of civilization. Yeager was born 20 years after the first powered flight of an airplane at Kitty Hawk. When he joined the Army Air Corps, the U.S. military was still flying biplanes for some uses. He died while landers roam the surface of Mars.
He had a pretty sweet flight simulator in his name we “played” growing up. That is if I’m remembering things from the 80’s correctly.
This man was a boss. Years ago I read a book about him and thought he was the coolest dude who had ever lived. I still think so. The mental and intestinal fortitude he had to survive the things he did and do things no one had done is ridiculous. I may have to find and watch TRS. It's been several years since I saw it last.
(12-10-2020, 07:14 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]This man was a boss. Years ago I read a book about him and thought he was the coolest dude who had ever lived. I still think so. The mental and intestinal fortitude he had to survive the things he did and do things no one had done is ridiculous. I may have to find and watch TRS. It's been several years since I saw it last.

Agreed.  Total bad***.  Did incredible things with a smile on his face the whole time, to die at 97.  We should all be so lucky.
(12-08-2020, 08:13 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]I remember his old DieHard battery commercial: "I've been shot at, shot up, and shot down..."

Just think how much the world has changed in the lifetime of a person this age. More than at any time in the history of civilization. Yeager was born 20 years after the first powered flight of an airplane at Kitty Hawk. When he joined the Army Air Corps, the U.S. military was still flying biplanes for some uses. He died while landers roam the surface of Mars.

I often think about how it's such an interesting time to be alive. How technology has changed life for each generation for the last century and a half. Think about people who lived during times where nothing much changed. Was life really different in 1100 AD compared to 1000 AD? Compare that to now. Can an iGen even relate to how life was for a Gen Xer? 

And on the subject, RIP, Chuck. Thanks for your contribution to society.
(12-10-2020, 08:29 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-08-2020, 08:13 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]I remember his old DieHard battery commercial: "I've been shot at, shot up, and shot down..."

I often think about how it's such an interesting time to be alive. How technology has changed life for each generation for the last century and a half. Think about people who lived during times where nothing much changed. Was life really different in 1100 AD compared to 1000 AD? Compare that to now. Can an iGen even relate to how life was for a Gen Xer? 

And on the subject, RIP, Chuck. Thanks for your contribution to society.

I tell my grown children that technology has advanced more in their lifetimes than in any other, and they get it. They still remember CRT televisions, when cell phones weren't ubiquitous, our first computer with dial up internet and VCRs.  I remind them that their children will be laughing at what they take for granted now.
I often think what idk, George Washington would do if he spent a day with us.  Hey G Dubs, we’re headed to Jacksonville or St Augustine.  No, not a days ride.  We’ll take my automobile.  It’ll go 75+ mph on this interstate.  For giggles, look how fast the trees are moving past us!   Let me put it in sport mode. Watch this launch!!
(12-12-2020, 09:16 PM)Jags Wrote: [ -> ]I often think what idk, George Washington would do if he spent a day with us.  Hey G Dubs, we’re headed to Jacksonville or St Augustine.  No, not a days ride.  We’ll take my automobile.  It’ll go 75+ mph on this interstate.  For giggles, look how fast the trees are moving past us!   Let me put it in sport mode. Watch this launch!!

Hey George, check out this teeth is a day place! No...really, there aren’t made of wood now! Laughing
(12-10-2020, 07:14 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]This man was a boss. Years ago I read a book about him and thought he was the coolest dude who had ever lived. I still think so. The mental and intestinal fortitude he had to survive the things he did and do things no one had done is ridiculous. I may have to find and watch TRS. It's been several years since I saw it last.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQt579381OI
Yeager had all the right stuff to be an astronaut bar one - a college education.
(12-13-2020, 11:34 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]Yeager had all the right stuff to be an astronaut bar one - a college education.

His experience should’ve been enough if he wanted to.  That’s the type of guy that gets a pass on the piece of paper.