Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Wilson is killing us on defense
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
On the TD where Henry went off right tackle untouched in the first half, Wilson engaged with a blocker instead of going for the tackle. His angle was way off.

The next long run just a few possessions after that, Wilson chose to keep outside containment instead of filling the running lane. Henry exploded for another run. I think this one is on the DC because it looked like a run blitz to me. Just a bad call in that spot.

Then on the Swaim TD, Wilson was reading the backfield instead of covering. It appeared to be zone coverage and the Titans bunched up on the left. Wilson took one step back peddle and then waited until the football was thrown to break on the receiver. There was nobody coming across the middle and he had help beside him. He was sooooo late and Swaim catches an easy TD.

In the 3rd quarter, Titans go play action and Swaim releases untouched off the line. Wilson takes about 4 or 5 steps towards the backfield until he realizes they were passing. He turns and runs to catch up but Swaim already caught the ball and went out at the 1 yard line. Of course the next play Henry takes it in for a TD.

Dewey at least stopped a 4th down in the 1st quarter.

It doesn’t matter to me what PFF grades Wilson. He is just a terrible Safety with not enough splash plays. I went back and watched the game and I haven’t even finished watching the 4th quarter and already this has to be one of Wilson’s worst games.
(12-17-2020, 01:16 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]On the TD where Henry went off right tackle untouched in the first half, Wilson engaged with a blocker instead of going for the tackle. His angle was way off.

The next long run just a few possessions after that, Wilson chose to keep outside containment instead of filling the running lane. Henry exploded for another run. I think this one is on the DC because it looked like a run blitz to me. Just a bad call in that spot.

Then on the Swaim TD, Wilson was reading the backfield instead of covering. It appeared to be zone coverage and the Titans bunched up on the left. Wilson took one step back peddle and then waited until the football was thrown to break on the receiver. There was nobody coming across the middle and he had help beside him. He was sooooo late and Swaim catches an easy TD.

In the 3rd quarter, Titans go play action and Swaim releases untouched off the line. Wilson takes about 4 or 5 steps towards the backfield until he realizes they were passing. He turns and runs to catch up but Swaim already caught the ball and went out at the 1 yard line. Of course the next play Henry takes it in for a TD.

Dewey at least stopped a 4th down in the 1st quarter.

It doesn’t matter to me what PFF grades Wilson. He is just a terrible Safety with not enough splash plays. I went back and watched the game and I haven’t even finished watching the 4th quarter and already this has to be one of Wilson’s worst games.

Relax. Take a deep breath. It's Wilson, Bryan and others that will ensure the #2 pick and a blue-chip QB prospect. Also, next year's defensive coordinator is certain not to be Wash (unless the new GM wants Saleh as HC). Next year's GM will have no allegiance to Wilson, Bryan and others. Those scrubs won't be starting.
Yeah Wilson, Bryan, and then other scrubs have got to go.

On the run where Henry went over the 200 yard mark, Wilson had outside containment. Ball is snapped and Wilson immediately went inside the RT almost to the RG. Henry received the handoff and bounced it, and Wilson was already 2 or 3 full steps out of position. Luckily Jack had pursuit and Wilson ended up making the tackle 25 yards down field.

We need a QB - Of course we do. But once we get our QB I really hope they go get a play making Safety. I can live with the CBs we have but man we need 2 new starting safeties.
Bryan is a bust. The guy sucks. WIlson is just a guy.
Yeah, you can say that wilson is a problem and a couple of other guys too when it comes to winning. Get ready for the draft.
Need a defensive line
Wilson is bad. I also think he may be part of the culture problem. He was part of the group along with Barry Church & Ronnie Harrison that went out the night before the london game and had the debacle with the bill at the club and the arrest. I'd rather start Wingard, and i hope we move on from Wilson after this season idt he even qualifies as just a guy.
He is an undrafted special teams caliber player forced into the line up.

What do you expect?
How about we talk about Joe Schobert? He got a very significant contract from this team to come in and turn this run defense around. During the season we started slow in this area, but were making strides in the right direction once DaVon Hamilton was inserted in the starting lineup. We still weren't great, but we were trending upward. Once Hamilton got hurt, the wheels came completely off and we've been getting torched. When watching Schobert I've been seeing missed tackles, bad angles and sometimes he just genuinely looks lost. While Myles Jack's play has improved significantly since moving outside, I really don't see much difference between Schobert's play at MLB and Myles Jack's play at the same position in 2019. I was under the impression Schobert was here to help fix the run defense, but Derrick Henry in particular has dropped 299 rushing yards on us in 2 games and there is a good chance Lamar Jackson could set the single game rushing record for a QB against us this weekend.

Realistically, we are stuck with Schobert for at least one more season due to dead money in his contract. Should we use one of our draft picks on a MLB of the future that can potentially take over the starting role in 2022? Unless Schobert really improves his run defense in 2021, I just don't see him being worth what we are paying him.
(12-18-2020, 07:41 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]Realistically, we are stuck with Schobert for at least one more season due to dead money in his contract. Should we use one of our draft picks on a MLB of the future that can potentially take over the starting role in 2022? Unless Schobert really improves his run defense in 2021, I just don't see him being worth what we are paying him.

Get a real defensive line and magically the linebackers will improve as the o-linemen are not on them. Also the pass coverage will magically improve. I am not saying don't draft someone to groom to replace however....
I just don't see how he's 'killing us' when the vast majority of the defense sucks.
Wilson is probably one of the top two safeties on the team but that's not saying much. Him, Jones and Wingard are capable backups. Thomas showed some promise before he was injured but I don't think he'll be better than the others.

I think we should expect a safety to be drafted early if it's not addressed in free agency.
(12-19-2020, 09:16 AM)RicoTx Wrote: [ -> ]I just don't see how he's 'killing us' when the vast majority of the defense sucks.

This

Every week features miscues from multiple defensive backs, linebackers and linemen. 

We knew leaving Wilson the starting FS w/o real competition was going to result in what we've seen from him. 
Might have been manageable if he was the only weak link in the secondary. He's not. 

The departure of defensive talent from this roster in the offseason was way too much to overcome. 
(Finally) moving Jack to WLB was probably the one single thing they got right defensively this season.
I'm looking so forward to having a new Defensive Coordinator next season. Maybe he can find some creative ways to get more out of what we have. Wash's defenses are so vanilla and predictable that you almost have to have elite talent at every position for them to work.
(12-18-2020, 07:41 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]How about we talk about Joe Schobert? He got a very significant contract from this team to come in and turn this run defense around. During the season we started slow in this area, but were making strides in the right direction once DaVon Hamilton was inserted in the starting lineup. We still weren't great, but we were trending upward. Once Hamilton got hurt, the wheels came completely off and we've been getting torched. When watching Schobert I've been seeing missed tackles, bad angles and sometimes he just genuinely looks lost. While Myles Jack's play has improved significantly since moving outside, I really don't see much difference between Schobert's play at MLB and Myles Jack's play at the same position in 2019.  I was under the impression Schobert was here to help fix the run defense, but Derrick Henry in particular has dropped 299 rushing yards on us in 2 games and there is a good chance Lamar Jackson could set the single game rushing record for a QB against us this weekend.

Realistically, we are stuck with Schobert for at least one more season due to dead money in his contract. Should we use one of our draft picks on a MLB of the future that can potentially take over the starting role in 2022? Unless Schobert really improves his run defense in 2021, I just don't see him being worth what we are paying him.

To this, I Concur...

NH3...