Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The #1 pick
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This has definitely been the most exciting week of my life as a Jaguars fan. As you guys know, I'm one of the more emotional guys on the board. I'm going to be 50 years old in March and I've been a Jaguars fan since the team was established. That's half my life. I had very high expectations for this team in the beginning. We started our franchise by becoming a powerhouse in the early years. We had an exciting offense with guys like Fred Taylor, Tony Boselli, Jimmy Smith and Keenan McCardell and we had a very capable QB in Mark Brunell. We had a stingy defense and I thought for sure we'd be Super Bowl champs sooner rather than later. Well, after several years with close calls, those guys began to leave the team and things started to change. Once realignment happened, we had more bad years than good ones. Once Brunell was no longer a Jag, we struggled to find a good starting QB. No matter who we put in there, it seemed like one failed experiment after another. 

Every year I would tell myself to temper my expectations and it seems like every season I'd come away feeling kicked in the teeth. I'd come to expect that we'd have a losing record year after year. I used to look forward to the draft, but the last couple of season's we've been so bad that I didn't even think that would help. Then with all the controversy between players and the front office occurring and several of our few star players wanting out, I was sure we'd languish at the bottom of the league for years to come. I was sure we'd be picking #2, take Fields and have yet another failed experiment at the QB position. Then a miracle happened. When the Jets beat the Rams, it was like a sign that I should never give up hope. That pick means EVERYTHING. It means we have a chance to draft a guy I believe we had ABSOLUTELY no shot at. A QB that can turn this franchise around within 3 years. 

I'll admit I was not that big a believer in Trevor Lawrence early on, but I also did not spend much time watching him play, because he was an underclassman and I really only watch guys who are in draft eligible years. It was last season that I saw this kid late in the season. I can't remember which game it was, but he was sitting in the pocket scanning the field and he threw a long pass for a completion. At the same time he released the ball, he was absolutely blasted. He took a shot to the chest that I was sure would've resulted in a broken sternum or a collapsed lung. He laid there a few minutes while the coaches and trainers attended to him and he was helped off the field. I thought for sure he was done. It was only a few plays later when he came back on the field and picked right back up where he left off. Not only is this kid a winner, but he's tough as nails and he refuses to be held back. Ever since then, I've been a huge fan, but still I thought we had absolutely no shot at him, especially since we beat the Colts in week 1. 

Since that time, I have been adamant about drafting Zach Wilson of BYU if he declares. I had him rated almost exactly the same as Lawrence. While I believe Wilson's ceiling may be a hair higher, Lawrence is definitely the safer pick. He's proven it against better competition and has the better frame, standing a full 3 inches taller. I would've been thrilled with either pick, but with Wilson, there is no guarantee he would even declare and to be honest, I didn't trust this team to even pick him. I believed we'd take Fields at #2 and have a "bust" on our hands, yet again. By moving up that single position to the #1 spot, everything has changed. It almost guarantees that we will get Lawrence and finally, we will have what we've all been wishing for for many, many years, a good (if not great) QB. 

I finally have hope that my dream of seeing the Jags win a Super Bowl in my lifetime can still happen. That one position that every team needs to achieve such a goal is now in reach. All we have to do is lose the next 2 games. Put every decent player we have on IR or the Covid list. Run the ball every play behind backup O-Linemen. Punt the ball on 3rd down. do whatever it takes to hold onto that #1 selection. Then send luxury gifts to Lawrence and all his family members. Make him want to be here and know that he will be appreciated. Let him know that the team and the fans desperately want him to be a Jaguar. This is a franchise changing moment. We've suffered for so long, we cannot mess this up. If we do, they might as well pack up and go to London next season. This is our chance to change our fortunes for the next 10-15 years. We'd finally have that one player to build an entire team around, like other winning franchises have done.
Right with you. been there from the beginning. That is where the passion comes from. Everyone knows I am a Jaguars fan even though I don't live in Jax. This is a critical time for the future of this team.
I would’ve never guessed your almost 50! Been a fan since day 1 was in the 5th grade in st Augustine the jags are all I know. This is the most excited I’ve been in a decade
(12-22-2020, 12:55 PM)EricC85 Wrote: [ -> ]I would’ve never guessed your almost 50! Been a fan since day 1 was in the 5th grade in st Augustine the jags are all I know. This is the most excited I’ve been in a decade

Yeah, I'm an old man. I feel it every day as I walk down the hall and listen to my back "crunch" and my knees "pop." LOL
Great post,but lets rember a few things first. still 2 games left to play so jags don't have #1 pick yet. we seen how fast things can change in a week. just because the qb looks like a top player in the nfl doesn't mean he will be a top player in nfl. colleg,and nfl are completly different. even if jags some how end up with

a top qb if we don't fix the offenssive line qb won't matter. not to be a downer,just reminding you all of reality,and possblites. as of now jags have the first pick. tebow had all that hype,and looked like he would be a great nfl player,it turned out he didn't make it in nfl. i even told serveal people here he wouldn'.t Tebow is a great person,but not a nfl qb.
(12-22-2020, 03:02 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: [ -> ]Great post,but lets rember a few things first. still 2 games left to play so jags don't have #1 pick yet. we seen how fast things can change in a week.  just because the qb looks like a top player in the nfl doesn't mean he will be a top player in nfl. colleg,and nfl are completly different. even if jags some how end up with

a top qb if we don't fix the offenssive line qb won't matter.  not to be a downer,just reminding you all of reality,and possblites.  as of now jags have the first pick.   tebow had all that hype,and looked like he would be a great nfl player,it turned out he didn't make it in nfl. i even told serveal people here he wouldn'.t Tebow is a great person,but not a nfl qb.

Cmon wolf, Tebow is one of the GOATs
(12-22-2020, 03:02 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: [ -> ]Great post,but lets rember a few things first. still 2 games left to play so jags don't have #1 pick yet. we seen how fast things can change in a week.  just because the qb looks like a top player in the nfl doesn't mean he will be a top player in nfl. colleg,and nfl are completly different. even if jags some how end up with

a top qb if we don't fix the offenssive line qb won't matter.  not to be a downer,just reminding you all of reality,and possblites.  as of now jags have the first pick.   tebow had all that hype,and looked like he would be a great nfl player,it turned out he didn't make it in nfl. i even told serveal people here he wouldn'.t Tebow is a great person,but not a nfl qb.

Stop harshing my mellow, Wolf. Think positive!
just being honest,not negtiave really. there is 1 thing jags are the best at. thats letting thier fans down. we all know if jags win 1 of the last 2 games they will let the fans down again. most fans want jags to lose just to keep the  #1 pick. 

I'm going to cheer for them to win regradass of the pick. you play to win the game. if top pick falls to jags it does,if it doesn't it doesn't. if anything this season,even last serveal seasons jags are the best at letting down thier fans.
Along with 1st pick this could also be the first year in franchise history they don’t cut to commercial break before the pick.
(12-22-2020, 03:27 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: [ -> ]just being honest,not negtiave really. there is 1 thing jags are the best at. thats letting thier fans down. we all know if jags win 1 of the last 2 games they will let the fans down again. most fans want jags to lose just to keep the  #1 pick. 

I'm going to cheer for them to win regradass of the pick. you play to win the game. if top pick falls to jags it does,if it doesn't it doesn't. if anything this season,even last serveal seasons jags are the best at letting down thier fans.

Even if that means with a win, we would be bad for the next 10 years? No thanks. I am praying we lose. Sometimes winning is losing and losing is winning. Just ask most Jets fans.
(12-22-2020, 03:34 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: [ -> ]Along with 1st pick this could also be the first year in franchise history they don’t cut to commercial break before the pick.

Don't be too sure about that.
Why wouldn't they? The pick will be known by all anyway so the actual pick is just a distraction from talking points about how terrible it will be for the league. Don't be surprised if Eli Manning is talked about a few times too.
I am going to be 50 next May and I am a lone holdout in my family that is willing to watch the games. It is an surreal to see this unfold, where we can have a positive franchise first out of an absolutely devastating decade plus of awful football.

Been watching the Jets and it is crazy they don't have a few wins by now. Their lines are solid and they seem poised for better days. Honestly all that week 1 crow was from Rivers being old and sloping down to out of the league.

It is crazy that this is the roster and position groups we have after a decade of top of the draft picks. This is the end of the line.
If they stay at number one and do draft Lawrence, I will fly back to Jax for a couple of games next year.
Having the first pick says two things and we all know what that is. If we get Trevor, most if not all of us will be happy but let's not forget that the second best QB prospectic is pretty darn good as well.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
(12-22-2020, 05:57 PM)NH3 Wrote: [ -> ]Having the first pick says two things and we all know what that is. If we get Trevor, most if not all of us will be happy but let's not forget that the second best QB prospectic is pretty darn good as well.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

Again, I don’t watch college or keep up with it.  But from what I’m gathering, Fields is the 2nd best prospect in this draft.  However, Lawrence is the best prospect since (insert player).  Sounds like TL is generational versus the normal best of the current year.  Seems to be a huge gap in talent and potential for a couple measly feel good games.  And this comes from a guy whose wife won’t even play family games because I “supposedly” take them too serious.  As competitive as I am, I say lose out.
(12-22-2020, 04:00 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-22-2020, 03:34 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: [ -> ]Along with 1st pick this could also be the first year in franchise history they don’t cut to commercial break before the pick.

Don't be too sure about that.

I can see it Now...

Goodell:  "Welcome to the Start of the NFL Draft.  The Jaguars are on the Clock"

NFL/ESPN go on a long commercial break

Goodell: "The Jets are on the clock!"
I'm 33 but being a Jaguars fan all these years, I feel like I'm 50. They will be part of the reason when the grey hairs start.
(12-22-2020, 05:57 PM)NH3 Wrote: [ -> ]Having the first pick says two things and we all know what that is. If we get Trevor, most if not all of us will be happy but let's not forget that the second best QB prospectic is pretty darn good as well.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

I can't think of anyone who would object to making that pick although half the forum will be ready to cut him after his first turnover.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

Fields?

[Image: giphy.gif]
Pages: 1 2