Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: KEYS to success for the 2021 Jaguars!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
-Fire Marrone: He fried his last bologna sandwich here. Outside of the bad roster, he has made some very questionable decisions.  Tick one more stupid decision by going with Glennon again this Sunday. Minshew must of put mayo on Doug's sandwich for him to hat him as much as he does.  Minshew is no star but a much better player than Glennon.  There is one scenario where I could see Doug staying.  Maybe Khan went to Doug and told him to tank. It is possible!

-Fire Todd Wash:  I never was a fan of his to begin with. Wash was an ice cream assistant to Gus. This outdated defense has been exposed. I think this team is much more suited to run a 3-4 anyway.

-Fire Scouting department and all talent evaluators:  This team has had much too much firepower for the little results that we have seen. This team has the habit of picking the wrong players. Time to hit the nuke button:

-Fire Most of the Assistant coaches:  There are a few like McCardell worth keeping. The majority have got to go.

-Khan hire a committee:  With his resources Khan could easily hire a committee of former players, coaches, gm's etc, to help him make a decision on a General Manager hire. Assemble a group of a dozen or so and take their collective advice. Khan doesn't know enough about football to hire a capable GM on his own.

-Allow said GM the freedom to hire his own coaching staff and mold the roster in this vision.

-Rebuild this team focusing primarily on offense! Defense is dead and almost worthless to focus on.  The Rams are the #1 defense and barely at .500.  The NFL has bent the rules so much toward the offense it's almost impossible to have a dominant defense these days. The Jaguars did it in 2017 and it caused us to go into salary cap hell.

-DO not Jaguar the Number 1 pick up. Don't get cute and trade the pick or pick someone other than Lawrence. It's hard to see a scenario where Lawrence is the wrong pick.

-Rebuild the Line: I think this team needs 2 starting new tackles.  Possibly kick Taylor to Guard.  Taylor is a liability and do not trust Cam Robinson either.

-Continue to get more weapons on offense:  Tight End(s) position needs a massive upgrade. I like Shenault but he stays hurt. We need a couple of more solid receivers.  Conley has butter fingers so he should be gone. Cole is getting better so would like to give him some time at the #2 receiver. 

-Spend the money wisely: This team is #1 in the league in salary cap room for this off-season. The Gm has to indetify the players who are going to contribute and not just looking for a bigger pay day.
Try to get a LT and TE and go defense
From reading about other teams cleaning house, it takes a few years to fully redo a scouting department. Also, no matter how many people you bring in, you won't be able to recreate or redo all the scouting done over the past 2-3 years of players in this draft or free agents in this class, or even those for next years.

The reason why this is huge is that the Jags probably have 2 years (by 2022) to make this team a division contender, and 3 years to make this team a dark horse SB contender. After that, all these young stars/players will need to get paid, which means replacing them. And then after 5 years, your lose your QB discount. Really hard to build a SB team after that point unless T-Law truly becomes is HoF bound. 

I agree with most of the other points in the top 6 bullets. As for the others, that fully depends on the GM and coach you get and where their strengths like. I mean if there is no clearly ready offensive genius HC/OC out there, are you going to force that? You just have to take the best of the options available to you.
Owners hire GMs. GMs hire head coaches. Head coaches hire assistant coaches.
I don't think there's anything wrong with our scouting department. I don't think the scouts said we should draft Bortles or Fournette. Those decisions were made at the top. Caldwell has said that he was the one who fell in love with Bortles. And the Fournette pick was pure Coughlin.

Looking around the league, while it is true we have missed on some high draft picks, it looks like our bigger problem has been player retention. I see players that used to play for us who are starting and playing well for teams that are better than we are. If you look at the players we have tossed aside, or failed to re-sign, or have alienated to the point where they have forced their way out of Jacksonville, and if you add those players back to this team, plus Trevor Lawrence, we would have a playoff team. Calais Campbell, Yannick Ngakoue, Jalen Ramsey, Tashaun Gipson, Alan Robinson, and for God's sake, Tyson Alualu, who is a starter for the Steelers. There are many others.

We don't need new scouts. What we need is a new GM who can manage our roster, retain our players, and make better decisions about how to build a team and where to put our resources. That is our obvious failing. It's not the scouting department. It's the GM.
(12-31-2020, 11:25 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Owners hire GMs. GMs hire head coaches. Head coaches hire assistant coaches.

That's the way it should be done.
Defense!
Get a LT to protect TL
(01-01-2021, 03:47 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]Get a LT to protect TL

This is huge. I hope we invest in the offensive line up front. I would rather we lose some close games due to bad defense over the next 2 years rather than watch a poor oline which stunt’s trevor’s development or gets him hurt like burrow.
(12-31-2020, 07:36 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]-Fire Marrone: He fried his last bologna sandwich here. Outside of the bad roster, he has made some very questionable decisions.  Tick one more stupid decision by going with Glennon again this Sunday. Minshew must of put mayo on Doug's sandwich for him to hat him as much as he does.  Minshew is no star but a much better player than Glennon.  There is one scenario where I could see Doug staying.  Maybe Khan went to Doug and told him to tank. It is possible!

-Fire Todd Wash:  I never was a fan of his to begin with. Wash was an ice cream assistant to Gus. This outdated defense has been exposed. I think this team is much more suited to run a 3-4 anyway.

-Fire Scouting department and all talent evaluators:  This team has had much too much firepower for the little results that we have seen. This team has the habit of picking the wrong players. Time to hit the nuke button:

-Fire Most of the Assistant coaches:  There are a few like McCardell worth keeping. The majority have got to go.

-Khan hire a committee:  With his resources Khan could easily hire a committee of former players, coaches, gm's etc, to help him make a decision on a General Manager hire. Assemble a group of a dozen or so and take their collective advice. Khan doesn't know enough about football to hire a capable GM on his own.

-Allow said GM the freedom to hire his own coaching staff and mold the roster in this vision.

-Rebuild this team focusing primarily on offense! Defense is dead and almost  worthless to focus on.  The Rams are the #1 defense and barely at .500.  The NFL has bent the rules so much toward the offense it's almost impossible to have a dominant defense these days. The Jaguars did it in 2017 and it caused us to go into salary cap hell.

-DO not Jaguar the Number 1 pick up. Don't get cute and trade the pick or pick someone other than Lawrence. It's hard to see a scenario where Lawrence is the wrong pick.

-Rebuild the Line: I think this team needs 2 starting new tackles.  Possibly kick Taylor to Guard.  Taylor is a liability and do not trust Cam Robinson either.

-Continue to get more weapons on offense:  Tight End(s) position needs a massive upgrade. I like Shenault but he stays hurt. We need a couple of more solid receivers.  Conley has butter fingers so he should be gone. Cole is getting better so would like to give him some time at the #2 receiver. 

-Spend the money wisely: This team is #1 in the league in salary cap room for this off-season. The Gm has to indetify the players who are going to contribute and not just looking for a bigger pay day.

These are all reasonable things that any franchise should expect from their team. I totally agree with all of this.
1) Hire a competent GM/HC

2) Sign the top available O-lineman + TE.

3) Draft T-Law and then lineman, and corners and maybe a WR to replace Conley.

Basically just surround Lawrence with the best possible coaches and players we can. He's going to be the 1 player that could put us on the map for the next 15 years. Protect him at all costs.
Fire jay gruden. He's offense is nfl antiquated garbage. Need more read option with TL
We have no idea where we are at on defense. Catapult Todd Wash out of the stadium after Sunday's game and hire a respected DC. Let the new DC implement a scheme that gives the defense a fighting chance.

Sunday can't come soon enough. Hope Shad has enough balls to fire Marrone right after the game.
jags need to draft tray sermon ,and offenssive lineman in the draft. forget drafting a qb give minshew better pprotection,and go to WR and you can win games.
(01-02-2021, 01:10 AM)snowwolf776 Wrote: [ -> ]jags need to draft tray sermon ,and offenssive lineman in the draft. forget  drafting a qb give minshew better pprotection,and go to WR and you can win games.

[Image: giphy.gif]
(12-31-2020, 11:25 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Owners hire GMs. GMs hire head coaches. Head coaches hire assistant coaches.

That doesn't seem to be the way Mr. Khan does things...
(01-02-2021, 01:10 AM)snowwolf776 Wrote: [ -> ]jags need to draft tray sermon ,and offenssive lineman in the draft. forget  drafting a qb give minshew better pprotection,and go to WR and you can win games.

You must be drunk.  The line could be a brick wall, Minshew ain’t throwing it further than 15 yds.  If they passed on Trevor they’d be the laughing stock of the NFL.
Keys to Success is just this simple.

The Trifecta.
1.) Hire the proper GM (Best Qualified).
2.) Allow the GM to hire his HC and the HC to hire his staff.
3.) Select our franchise QB.

Everything else will fall into place.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
Another key to success that needs to be evaluated - Player health and injuries.

I was looking at Football Outsiders who look at statistics for Average Games Lost to Injuries. Jaguars have been one of the most injured/snake-bitten teams over the past 10 years. Only year that was spared was the magical 2017 run.

At some point that is no longer luck/randomness, but some way the medical staff, nutrition, conditioning, strength, and other support staff are doing things.
Just stop the damn run and upgrade the QB.

That’s 80% of it right there.
Pages: 1 2