Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Offseason Cuts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Yesterday we had some chatter about getting rid of Chris Conley this offseason. Looking at the roster, are there any players you think will or should be released this offseason? Could be free agents that leave or players under contract that are released. Outside of Conley, who I think should go, I also think that Taven Bryan, Dede Westbrook, and D.J. Hayden are all on that list.
...when a team finishes 1-15, there will be many players granted the opportunity to find new teams or jobs.
(01-04-2021, 10:30 AM)ATLjag Wrote: [ -> ]...when a team finishes 1-15, there will be many players granted the opportunity to find new teams or jobs.

Considering the extreme youth of this team I don't know that the roster will be largely different next year. It looks like Caldwell already did the tear down, and now we'll have another large rookie class to go with the dozen from last year. That's why I think the vets on this list are gone, they've already been effectively replaced.
I think there will likely be new starters at:

QB,LT, RG, both safeties, corner, TE, DT....

Now they may keep some of these guys for depth but as of now, those look like obvious upgrades. Now maybe they can’t upgrade all of them this off season but hey.... Jags can try.
(01-04-2021, 10:34 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-04-2021, 10:30 AM)ATLjag Wrote: [ -> ]...when a team finishes 1-15, there will be many players granted the opportunity to find new teams or jobs.

Considering the extreme youth of this team I don't know that the roster will be largely different next year. It looks like Caldwell already did the tear down, and now we'll have another large rookie class to go with the dozen from last year. That's why I think the vets on this list are gone, they've already been effectively replaced.

Looking at the roster I don't see a whole lot of obvious cuts. I see lots of players that could compete for backup spots and a some of them won't make it. It doesn't mean it's not worth letting them try out. Especially, as you said, since so many are young.

Obvious cuts: 
QB Glennon
WR Westbrook
TE Saubert
DL Jones
CB Hayden
S Jones

Possibly cut(not only for performance but because not fitting in or being redundant):
QB Minshew
DL Bryan
DE Gotsis or Smoot

Some guys I can see at the next training camp: 

QB Luton
WR Godwin
TE Ellefson
TE Davis
CB Mabin
S Wingard
S Thomas
S Rusnak

There are more of the latter group of course. I just don't think that a rookie or second year player couldn't be worth taking a look at again if he's shown flashes. In the end a salary cap means that many of the backups even on the best teams will be scrubs more or less.
(01-04-2021, 10:21 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Yesterday we had some chatter about getting rid of Chris Conley this offseason. Looking at the roster, are there any players you think will or should be released this offseason? Could be free agents that leave or players under contract that are released. Outside of Conley, who I think should go, I also think that Taven Bryan, Dede Westbrook, and D.J. Hayden are all on that list.

Taven Bryan has to go. He contributes nothing. 

Conley is an UFA and I wouldn't lift a finger to re-sign him. Let him walk. 

Hayden is an UFA as well and we can find a cheaper, better option at Nickel. His play has gone way downhill. 

Westbrook is a free agent as well and before the season, I would've kept him, but he was barely ever used this season. If he would re-sign cheaply, I'd be fine with keeping him, but otherwise he can go. 

I wanna keep Keelan Cole. He's fairly cheap and he flashes at times. I believe with a good QB, he can be a much bigger contributor. I try hard to re-sign him as he he would make us 4 deep at WR. 

Abry Jones is an UFA as well. He can kick rocks. He does very little when it comes to run defense. The only time we were improving in this area was when DaVon Hamilton was starting in his place. Jones is terrible. 

Cam Robinson will be overpriced and he's just not a good enough pass protector. I make LT a very high priority in the draft. 

I bring back Shatley for  on the interior O-Line. Linder gets injured a lot and we should probably start looking for a replacement to groom, but with so many other needs to fill, keeping Shatley would be a smart move. 

I probably re-sign Dawuane Smoot as well. At times, he was the only D-Lineman that looked like he was trying and should we switch to a 3-4 scheme, he would be a nice fit at DE. I also make edge pass rushers a priority in the draft as well. 

Sidney Jones should definitely be brought back. He played well before the injury and played pretty well. I know he has a history of injuries and was hurt yet again, but when healthy, he's fairly solid. If he comes at a reasonable price, he should be retained. 

Tre Herndon should kick rocks as well. He's always getting beat. I'd like to add a young, decent CB in free agency and another via the draft. This is an area where we must not only improve, but find much more depth. 

I'm on the fence with Tyler Eifert and James O'Shaugnessy. It's hard to judge TE's based upon the terrible QB play we have gotten. I'd probably keep one and focus on finding another TE in the 3rd or 4th round of the draft. If Hunter Henry is released, I would definitely make a run at him in free agency. 

The rest of our free agents can go. 

I cut Andrew Wingard. I know some people like him and he has made a couple big plays, but he makes the most boneheaded decisions and penalties. Just like yesterday. He picks off the ball in the endzone and instead of falling down and giving us a touchback, he runs it out for some stupid reason and we lose yardage. He drives me nuts!

Josh Jones has to go. I hate that guy. He's terrible! Just terrible! We gotta find a new starting Strong Safety in the offseason. 

Mike Glennon has to go. Enough said.

I'm o.k. with the rest of the roster.
(01-04-2021, 10:38 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]I think there will likely be new starters at:

Now they may keep some of these guys for depth but as of now, those look like obvious upgrades. Now maybe they can’t upgrade all of them this off season but hey.... Jags can try.

I'd love to find a way to get better play from the MLB position, but we signed Joe Schobert to a big contract and we are stuck with him. He seems out of position a lot and has basically done nothing to improve our run defense. Given the fact that if we traded or cut him this coming season we'd take a $16.6 million cap hit in dead money, we'll probably have to find another way to cover up his deficiencies in the run game.
(01-04-2021, 11:06 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-04-2021, 10:38 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]I think there will likely be new starters at:

I'd love to find a way to get better play from the MLB position, but we signed Joe Schobert to a big contract and we are stuck with him. He seems out of position a lot and has basically done nothing to improve our run defense. Given the fact that if we traded or cut him this coming season we'd take a $16.6 million cap hit in dead money, we'll probably have to find another way to cover up his deficiencies in the run game.

Whatever you see from him in the run defense is because the d-line is as strong as a wet paper bag.
Curious to see if any of the covid opt-out DTs are back next season - and what the draft and FA hold for those positions.  

Gotta find guys that will stuff run lanes AND at least one guy that consistently disrupts the pocket on 3rd down.

Man, I hope the new blood comes with an aggressive defensive coordinator.  I'm so tired of bend don't break I could puke.
(01-04-2021, 11:38 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Curious to see if any of the covid opt-out DTs are back next season - and what the draft and FA hold for those positions.  

Gotta find guys that will stuff run lanes AND at least one guy that consistently disrupts the pocket on 3rd down.

Man, I hope the new blood comes with an aggressive defensive coordinator.  I'm so tired of bend don't break I could puke.

Agreed. I've seen enough soft zone coverage to last me a lifetime.
(01-04-2021, 12:00 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-04-2021, 11:38 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Curious to see if any of the covid opt-out DTs are back next season - and what the draft and FA hold for those positions.  

Agreed. I've seen enough soft zone coverage to last me a lifetime.

I'd prefer to be water boarded than to hear James Lofton comment on the Jags defense "keeping everything in front of them here" on 2nd down ever again.

By corner do you mean not keeping Sidney Jones? Or you talking about nickel?
(01-04-2021, 12:26 PM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]

I'd add competition for Jones or whomever is the de facto #2 corner, personally.  

Also...  Tre Herndon could actually make a pretty good nickel IMO.  *ducks head*
(01-04-2021, 10:59 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-04-2021, 10:21 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Yesterday we had some chatter about getting rid of Chris Conley this offseason. Looking at the roster, are there any players you think will or should be released this offseason? Could be free agents that leave or players under contract that are released. Outside of Conley, who I think should go, I also think that Taven Bryan, Dede Westbrook, and D.J. Hayden are all on that list.

Taven Bryan has to go. He contributes nothing. 

Conley is an UFA and I wouldn't lift a finger to re-sign him. Let him walk. 

Hayden is an UFA as well and we can find a cheaper, better option at Nickel. His play has gone way downhill. 

Westbrook is a free agent as well and before the season, I would've kept him, but he was barely ever used this season. If he would re-sign cheaply, I'd be fine with keeping him, but otherwise he can go. 

I wanna keep Keelan Cole. He's fairly cheap and he flashes at times. I believe with a good QB, he can be a much bigger contributor. I try hard to re-sign him as he he would make us 4 deep at WR. 

Abry Jones is an UFA as well. He can kick rocks. He does very little when it comes to run defense. The only time we were improving in this area was when DaVon Hamilton was starting in his place. Jones is terrible. 

Cam Robinson will be overpriced and he's just not a good enough pass protector. I make LT a very high priority in the draft. 

I bring back Shatley for  on the interior O-Line. Linder gets injured a lot and we should probably start looking for a replacement to groom, but with so many other needs to fill, keeping Shatley would be a smart move. 

I probably re-sign Dawuane Smoot as well. At times, he was the only D-Lineman that looked like he was trying and should we switch to a 3-4 scheme, he would be a nice fit at DE. I also make edge pass rushers a priority in the draft as well. 

Sidney Jones should definitely be brought back. He played well before the injury and played pretty well. I know he has a history of injuries and was hurt yet again, but when healthy, he's fairly solid. If he comes at a reasonable price, he should be retained. 

Tre Herndon should kick rocks as well. He's always getting beat. I'd like to add a young, decent CB in free agency and another via the draft. This is an area where we must not only improve, but find much more depth. 

I'm on the fence with Tyler Eifert and James O'Shaugnessy. It's hard to judge TE's based upon the terrible QB play we have gotten. I'd probably keep one and focus on finding another TE in the 3rd or 4th round of the draft. If Hunter Henry is released, I would definitely make a run at him in free agency. 

The rest of our free agents can go. 

I cut Andrew Wingard. I know some people like him and he has made a couple big plays, but he makes the most boneheaded decisions and penalties. Just like yesterday. He picks off the ball in the endzone and instead of falling down and giving us a touchback, he runs it out for some stupid reason and we lose yardage. He drives me nuts!

Josh Jones has to go. I hate that guy. He's terrible! Just terrible! We gotta find a new starting Strong Safety in the offseason. 

Mike Glennon has to go. Enough said.

I'm o.k. with the rest of the roster.

I'm pretty much with you on all of these. Especially re-signing Cole.
When a team goes 1-15, there should not be that many players who deserve to be kept on the roster. That being said, these would be my preferences for next year:

Players to definitely keep:

Offense- James Robinson, Shennault, Chark, Johnson, Taylor, Linder, Cann, Bartch,

Defense- Allen, Chaisson, Hamilton, Schobert, Jack, Henderson, Thomas

Special teams- Lambo and Cooke

Those 17 players should be no-brainers.

Free agents to hopefully re-sign (if price is right): Sidney Jones, Cole, Smoot, Gotsis, Herndon

Players under contract to provide depth- Costin, Quarterman, Claybrooks, Richardson

Toughest decision- Cam Robinson is a free agent who has underperformed expectations. Part of this was due to injuries. The Jaguars will draft a left tackle- likely in rounds 1 or 2. Unless they sign Trent Williams, there is
a good chance they may be starting a rookie left tackle to protect the team's "savior" . Since it is likely that some team would outbid the Jaguars for his services, I'd consider using the franchise tag
on him. Yes, he'll be overpaid for one season but that beats committing a ton of money to him for several years. Best case scenerio he will finally realize his potential and then earn a long-term deal
beginning in 2022.

The new general manager will have a load of salary cap money to sign at least 3 free agents who would immediately start. Leonard Williams would greatly improve the defensive line and Marcus Williams would be my top 2 preferences due to immediate needs at defensive tackle and safety. Jonnu Smith would be another attractive option who would not break the bank. The draft class should provide at least 5 additional starters (or rotational players). It is no wonder that many consider the Jaguars' to be the most attractive landing spot for a new coach and general manager.
(01-04-2021, 12:26 PM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]

I think it's Henderson, Jones, Scott, Claybrooks for sure, then you need at least one more guy who's maybe a tweener between nickel and outside. Is the Melvin guy still coming here? I think he opted out, so I'd expect him in camp at least.
Who is this LT the Jags are going to draft with the second 1st? They need to back up the Brinks Wagon for William's or franchise Robinson. Sewell is the only LT that'd be an upgrade to Cam and it's highly unlikely that we get to trade up for him
(01-04-2021, 04:04 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-04-2021, 12:26 PM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]By corner do you mean not keeping Sidney Jones? Or you talking about nickel?

I think it's Henderson, Jones, Scott, Claybrooks for sure, then you need at least one more guy who's maybe a tweener between nickel and outside. Is the Melvin guy still coming here? I think he opted out, so I'd expect him in camp at least.

I'm not even sure Claybrooks or Scott make the final roster in 2021. I really want to re-sign Jones, but he does have a history of injury, so we need another starting quality CB just in case and competition at Nickel.
(01-04-2021, 04:04 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-04-2021, 12:26 PM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]By corner do you mean not keeping Sidney Jones? Or you talking about nickel?

He's under contract for next year, so I would think he would be back if the team wants him.
(01-04-2021, 10:34 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]

Thats a fair point. This roster is so young, players arent anywhere near reaching their peak or potential. How many have real nfl quality is up for debate but i want to see them under a better coaching  staff.  Plus most first season for new coaches are installing their systems and seeing who of what they currently have are worth keeping.

Throw in a rookie QB learning a new system and while next season may be another difficult season, if we can get the right people working together, all those things coming together, we could see real improvements years 2 and 3.
Pages: 1 2 3