Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Rep. Cleaver ends opening prayer for new Congress: ‘Amen and awoman’
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Funny.  But I'm sure it will lead to a collapse in our civilization.

Actually, now that I think about it, he should have said "Awomen," not "Awoman."  Amen and Awomen.
(01-04-2021, 02:24 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]Funny.  But I'm sure it will lead to a collapse in our civilization.

Actually, now that I think about it, he should have said "Awomen," not "Awoman."  Amen and Awomen.

It is a start, along with Pelosi banning specific pronouns from being used.
(01-04-2021, 02:20 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]https://www.foxnews.com/politics/rep-cle...and-awoman

Welcome to your new normal folks.

It's tacky given that "amen" isn't a gender-based word, but it's about as big a deal as that ham sandwich I just ate for lunch.
(01-04-2021, 02:35 PM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-04-2021, 02:20 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]https://www.foxnews.com/politics/rep-cle...and-awoman

Welcome to your new normal folks.

It's tacky given that "amen" isn't a gender-based word, but it's about as big a deal as that ham sandwich I just ate for lunch.

Agreed.  Super tacky and super ignorant of language.
That's all good, so long as we also replace Menopause and Menstruation with Womenopause and Womenstruation.
(01-04-2021, 03:45 PM)captivating Wrote: [ -> ]That's all good, so long as we also replace Menopause and Menstruation with Womenopause and Womentruation.

Amen (and awoman) to that, brother.
I'm going to refrain from commenting much on this topic due to possibly crossing the line with the no religion rule.  I will say though that it's one of two things.  Either this idiot congressman is really stupid and doesn't understand the phrase, or he is just doing the usual democrat pandering.

I'm leaning on #2.
(01-04-2021, 08:01 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]I'm going to refrain from commenting much on this topic due to possibly crossing the line with the no religion rule.  I will say though that it's one of two things.  Either this idiot congressman is really stupid and doesn't understand the phrase, or he is just doing the usual democrat pandering.

I'm leaning on #2.

Whynotboth.jpg
In other news, Dem senatorial candidate Raphael Warnock preaches that America should "repent from its worship of whiteness!"

Not joking.
(01-04-2021, 08:01 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]I'm going to refrain from commenting much on this topic due to possibly crossing the line with the no religion rule.  I will say though that it's one of two things.  Either this idiot congressman is really stupid and doesn't understand the phrase, or he is just doing the usual democrat pandering.

I'm leaning on #2.

It's more likely #1.  He mentioned monotheism and Brahma as synonyms.
Brahma is part of the polytheistic Hindu pantheon.
As for #2, I think politics on both sides has moved beyond pandering. They used to give us pleasant lies to placate us.  Now they give us shocking lies to drive the news cycle.  The theory is all attention is good attention if you're trying to move up in the world.
(01-04-2021, 08:34 PM)jj82284 Wrote: [ -> ]In other news, Dem senatorial candidate Raphael Warnock preaches that America should "repent from its worship of whiteness!"  

Not joking.

Last I checked, Jesus was a brown skinned middle eastern fellow.
(01-04-2021, 08:53 PM)captivating Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-04-2021, 08:34 PM)jj82284 Wrote: [ -> ]In other news, Dem senatorial candidate Raphael Warnock preaches that America should "repent from its worship of whiteness!"  

Not joking.

Last I checked, Jesus was a brown skinned middle eastern fellow.

I'm not going to get into the religious thing. I don't wanna get in trouble, but every person I've ever seen who has Israeli heritage is fairly light skinned.
(01-04-2021, 09:52 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-04-2021, 08:53 PM)captivating Wrote: [ -> ]Last I checked, Jesus was a brown skinned middle eastern fellow.

I'm not going to get into the religious thing. I don't wanna get in trouble, but every person I've ever seen who has Israeli heritage is fairly light skinned.

Israelis come in a variety of skin tones.
The Jewish diaspora that became Israel in 1948 was gathered not just from former Nazi Germany but also from Iran, Yemen, Egypt, pretty much everywhere.  
Unfortunately a LOT of different ethnic cleansings have occured between when the stories in the holy texts were written and the modern day.
It is very, very hard to be sure what any of the people in the Bible looked like, and anyone who tells you they are sure is selling something.
(01-04-2021, 09:52 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-04-2021, 08:53 PM)captivating Wrote: [ -> ]Last I checked, Jesus was a brown skinned middle eastern fellow.

I would think modern Isrealites look very different to those of 2000 years ago.  Hard to imagine Isrealites being the only pale skinned people in the Middle East.  I would suggest they looked more Arabic / Egyptian people.
Jews can be separated by geographic history. Mizrahi Jews lived in the middle east, Ashkenazi Jews in Germany to Eastern Europe, and Sephardic in Spain and North Africa. Ashkenazi Jews make up the majority, and are probably the ones you have seen the most in the US. Even though the Ashkenazi jews are more white, many Jews from antiquity were described as having fair skin. In fact, I find it really irritating when people assume that all of ancient Mesopotamia and Egypt were black (like Cleopatra).
Just to be clear, I am not saying they were European looking. Just saying a lot of people in the Middle East were described as having light skin, which could be relative. Cleopatra was actually from Macedonia.

I'm leaning on #2.

As a Methodist preacher he should know what he's saying is incorrect. But who knows.
I was just going by what I see in Gal Gadot, Natalie Portman, Benjamin Netanyahu, Gene Simmons, Bar Rafaeli and other famous people from Israel. All of them look pretty pale skinned to me. Nowhere near as dark skinned as what I see from other Middle Eastern countries. I always found that kind of strange.
I officially request that the ban on religious discourse be lifted in this thread, and this thread alone so that I can accurately respond to the question of the race & ethnicity of Christ.
Pages: 1 2 3