Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: "Coach Centric Team" we have our GM already!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Shad says he wants the team to be focused around the coach and his vision. Urban will be calling the shots and bringing in players that fit his scheme. The guy they name GM is just going to be some contract handling dude. Urban has been around the college game for years. I look forward to a Dynamite draft with Meyer picking the players.
My understanding is the coach and gm would both report to Shad. Allowing coach to dictate the type of players he wants is good. That is how you get a cohesive roster.
Coach picking the actual players is bad. That is how you get needs based drafts.

If Urban is acting as GM, this will go poorly.
Urban is surrounding himself with college rank staff. Hopefully the GM is someone with extensive NFL executive experience to balance it out.
As long as it’s not Baalke or Farmer then I will be happy to role with it.
I think the separation of duties will have Urban providing a lot of input related to player acquisitions (free agents) and draft picks whereas the GM will have a defining role with regard to salary cap and the financial aspects of each decision.
This is seeming more and more like the same ole inept Jaguars. How upset are people going to be when we draft Fields and he busts and the Jets get T Law and he's a stud? Stories already breaking that TLaw isn't the sure thing pick at 1 we all expect. Also, this article https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1000...pectations makes it sound like Urban is also in charge of selection of players, almost like a behind the scenes GM. Yikes.

"We need to be a coach-centric team and organization." There will be a GM but he will be carrying out Meyer's vision. Says Khan... Buckle up kids, might be a bumpy ride!

Edit: To clarify, I still think this can work, but there is no denying hitching your wagon and all of your decisions into a college HC with no NFL experience with a puppet GM just reeks of disaster. I hope it works, I want it to... But damn, seems like a seriosuly huge gamble to run like this. I will be livid if we don't select Lawrence.
(01-16-2021, 10:43 AM)rufftime Wrote: [ -> ]My understanding is the coach and gm would both report to Shad.  Allowing coach to dictate the type of players he wants is good.  That is how you get a cohesive roster.
Coach picking the actual players is bad.  That is how you get needs based drafts.

If Urban is acting as GM, this will go poorly.

(01-16-2021, 01:21 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: [ -> ]This is seeming more and more like the same ole inept Jaguars. How upset are people going to be when we draft Fields and he busts and the Jets get T Law and he's a stud? Stories already breaking that TLaw isn't the sure thing pick at 1 we all expect. Also, this article https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1000...pectations makes it sound like Urban is also in charge of selection of players, almost like a behind the scenes GM. Yikes.

"We need to be a coach-centric team and organization." There will be a GM but he will be carrying out Meyer's vision. Says Khan... Buckle up kids, might be a bumpy ride!

Edit: To clarify, I still think this can work, but there is no denying hitching your wagon and all of your decisions into a college HC with no NFL experience with a puppet GM just reeks of disaster. I hope it works, I want it to... But damn, seems like a seriosuly huge gamble to run like this. I will be livid if we don't select Lawrence.
Shad retorted and said it's going to be Meyers vision for this roster. 

Do not believe the BS. Meyer is not taking Fields.
(01-16-2021, 10:50 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]Urban is surrounding himself with college rank staff. Hopefully the GM is someone with extensive NFL executive experience to balance it out.

You mean someone like Tom Coughlin?
You can see the train wreck coming from miles away.
(01-16-2021, 01:21 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: [ -> ]This is seeming more and more like the same ole inept Jaguars. How upset are people going to be when we draft Fields and he busts and the Jets get T Law and he's a stud? Stories already breaking that TLaw isn't the sure thing pick at 1 we all expect. Also, this article https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1000...pectations makes it sound like Urban is also in charge of selection of players, almost like a behind the scenes GM. Yikes.

Take a deep breath. The "stories" are just bloggers trying to make the Ohio State connection. Meyer isn't going to come out and say the team's taking specific players one day after he was hired. That would be disrespectful to the personnel and staff that they haven't even been hired yet.
Future jags GM[Image: 1163994019.jpg.jpg]
There have been plenty of NFL head coaches that were/are successful working jointly with a GM that caters to that coach more than the conventional hierarchy might typically operate.

The question isn't whether it's a failed model, it doesn't have to be, but whether Meyer is one of those coaches that can pull this off.
I have no clue if he can make it work or not.
Did Don Shula, Jimmy Johnson, Tom Landry, Bill bellicheat, Bill Walsh or any other great coach have say on their roster? If so then follow that model.
Shad has done everything other people's way to this point. He even went the old nostalgia route with Coughlin's return. Honest I will give this something new some time. It isn't like we have anywhere to go but up. This team is rock bottom and I think we have a pretty good idea at this point what the same old same old looks like. Stuff doesn't always look good in the win column but you can see a roster and team that is putting things together.

What we have seen with previous build attempts have been rinse repeat no one is working together on a plan. Honestly the drafts haven't reflected coaching or systems or plans around here since the early days.
Meyer isn’t getting off the couch with the #1 pick now in his pocket the same year the most touted QB prospect since Luck is entering the draft and not taking said prospect. I’m not sure how this will all play out, but you guys wringing your hands over the possibility of Fields need to take a deep breath and relax. It ain’t happening.
Lawrence 99.99% will be 1st pick even the bookies have it at crazy odds of him being 1st pick so unless jags do something crazy and trade it away it will be him
LoL...I've been waiting to see where Tony may fit into all of this.
Dad's been pretty quiet about it.
To me this is refreshing to here. Under Caldwell our philosophy was draft players and make them play whatever scheme the coaches came up with. It sounds like with urban we are going to target players that already fit the scheme we are building, on face value that makes more sense to me at least.
(01-19-2021, 11:22 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: [ -> ]Meyer isn’t getting off the couch with the #1 pick now in his pocket the same year the most touted QB prospect since Luck is entering the draft and not taking said prospect.  I’m not sure how this will all play out, but you guys wringing your hands over the possibility of Fields need to take a deep breath and relax.  It ain’t happening.

That's exactly the way I see it.  It's nice having all these draft picks and cap space, but I am sure what got his attention was the chance to coach Trevor Lawrence.  It has to be that.  Otherwise, if we draft for example Justin Fields, we're just another team.  Why would he come back to coaching for that?  If Meyer thinks TL is the real deal, as advertised, then it is a once in a generation chance- Trevor Lawrence plus draft picks plus cap space plus very patient owner.
(01-19-2021, 11:29 AM)Gavdab81 Wrote: [ -> ]Lawrence 99.99% will be 1st pick even the bookies have it at crazy odds of him being 1st pick so unless jags do something crazy and trade it away it will be him

I would make it an even 100% chance we draft Lawrence. No one else is even on our radar for the top pick. No one!
Pages: 1 2