Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: 3-4 Defense
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So Meyer likes the 3-4 on base downs and since so many here like it I'll try to see what players we have today(including those who are now FA) and how a 3-4 would look like. 

DE Bryan (Costin)
NT Woods (Hamilton)
DE Gotsis (Smoot)
OLB Allen
ILB Schobert
ILB Quarterman
OLB Chaisson
CB Henderson
CB Jones (Claybrooks)
S Wilson
S Jones

The odd man out is Jack. I don't think both him and Schobert can play inside together and since Jack struggled with being a middle backer before I will go with Schobert. Instead I put Quarterman there who is more of a run stuffer. 

This is just a base defense so don't worry too much. For nickel the question would be if they would go for a 3-3-5 or a 4-2-5. The latter would look a bit like what we had this season and I think this is what we should use. 

DE Allen
DT Hamilton
DT Costin (Bryan)
DE Chaisson
OLB Jack
MLB Schobert
CB Henderson
CB Jones (Claybrooks)
NB Herndon
S Wilson
S Jones

Using the players I did then we should upgrade one DE, get a good MLB to complement Schobert(unless Jack or Quarterman actually fits), get one outside corner and at least one safety. Wouldn't be against a nickel either.
Naw, just play a 35 on base downs and have Jack play the SS slot since we can't seem to find a good one.
Any base defensive alignment that takes our best LB off the field is a bad one.
When schoebert got embarrassed by Jonathan taylor in week 17, he doesn't fit urban's inner circle. He's got to go.
(01-16-2021, 08:42 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: [ -> ]When schoebert got embarrassed by Jonathan taylor in week 17, he doesn't fit urban's inner circle.   He's got to go.

How? If we cut or trade him now, he counts as $16.6 million in dead money. We're stuck with him for at least another season.
This defense won't be recognizable 4 months from now! We're talking about more than half our draft class, free agents etc.
Jack struggled playing MLB because he had to call the plays, make sure everyone was in their proper alignments, etc. Signing Schobert freed him of that responsibility and he was able to just like up and play. Pretty sure Jack could handle playing inside in a 34.

Another thing I see a lot when people are discussing the 34 is Smoot playing DE. He is way to light to play 34 end, he would definitely backup one of the OLBs. If we went 34 this is currently what the front 7 would look like:

DE - Costin/Bryan
NT - Hamilton
DE - Gotsis
OLB - Allen/McCray
MLB - Schobert/Quarterman
MLB - Jack/Giles-Harris
OLB - Chaisson/Smoot
(01-17-2021, 07:23 AM)HolsterHusto Wrote: [ -> ]Jack struggled playing MLB because he had to call the plays, make sure everyone was in their proper alignments, etc. Signing Schobert freed him of that responsibility and he was able to just like up and play. Pretty sure Jack could handle playing inside in a 34.

Another thing I see a lot when people are discussing the 34 is Smoot playing DE. He is way to light to play 34 end, he would definitely backup one of the OLBs. If we went 34 this is currently what the front 7 would look like:

DE - Costin/Bryan
NT - Hamilton
DE - Gotsis
OLB - Allen/McCray
MLB - Jack/Giles-Harris
OLB - Chaisson/Smoot

Smoot is awfully big to be an OLB. I see him more as a 5 technique DE in a 3-4 scheme. At this point, I'm not comfortable with Schobert on the inside, but we have no choice. We're stuck with him for another year due to his cap figure.
Smoot at OLB would be a disaster.
Urban meeting with Raheem Morris today.
(01-17-2021, 11:28 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]Urban meeting with Raheem Morris today.

Nice. I like it.
(01-17-2021, 11:37 AM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]A little more detail.

https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/statu...02689?s=19

Would take it, but would prefer Wade.
Morris ia a 4-3 guy AFAIK.
(01-16-2021, 08:09 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: [ -> ]Any base defensive alignment that takes our best LB off the field is a bad one.

Not only our best linebacker, but best defensive player overall.
Rather have Morris for secondary coach, it’s what he is known for, he has barely been a coordinator.
(01-17-2021, 10:19 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-17-2021, 07:23 AM)HolsterHusto Wrote: [ -> ]Jack struggled playing MLB because he had to call the plays, make sure everyone was in their proper alignments, etc. Signing Schobert freed him of that responsibility and he was able to just like up and play. Pretty sure Jack could handle playing inside in a 34.

DE - Costin/Bryan
NT - Hamilton
DE - Gotsis
OLB - Allen/McCray
MLB - Jack/Giles-Harris
OLB - Chaisson/Smoot

Smoot is awfully big to be an OLB. I see him more as a 5 technique DE in a 3-4 scheme. At this point, I'm not comfortable with Schobert on the inside, but we have no choice. We're stuck with him for another year due to his cap figure.

Smoot is listed at 264lbs. That is waaaay to small to play end in a 34.
(01-17-2021, 01:44 PM)HolsterHusto Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-17-2021, 10:19 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]Smoot is awfully big to be an OLB. I see him more as a 5 technique DE in a 3-4 scheme. At this point, I'm not comfortable with Schobert on the inside, but we have no choice. We're stuck with him for another year due to his cap figure.

Smoot is listed at 264lbs. That is waaaay to small to play end in a 34.

I don't know about his listing, but I swear he looks closer to 280 lbs. He's big.
Yeah Smoot is WAY bigger than he was at the combine. I bet he's pushing three bills now. He'd be a fine rotational 3-4 DE.
This board is about to have a mental breakdown lololol

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/1...1715727361
Pages: 1 2