Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Supreme Court Reform
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, let's start taking bets on how our benevolent overlords are going to reform the court while they have power. I'm sure it will be strictly in line with the protections provided by the Supreme Court and years of precedent from previous administrations, with no aspirations of political power and activism.

Biden starts staffing a commission on Supreme Court reform - POLITICO

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fgifimage.net%2Fwp-conte...f=1&nofb=1]
If you can't win, you change the rules..
Commissions are often places where ideas go to die and there is no time on the clock to reform the court,…”

I don’t agree with anything else this guy said, but he’s right about this.
I think a 36 year term limit would work. Every 4 years 1 leaves and the new Prez gets 1 pick.
1. A President may nominate a Supreme Court justice at any time during their Presidency as the need arises. There is no "lame duck" rule.
2. The Senate must begin hearings on a nominee within 30 days of receiving the nomination, and a vote must be taken no more than 60 days later.
3. The confirmation of a Supreme Court justice requires a 67-vote supermajority.
4. The number of justices on the Supreme Court is not to exceed nine.

Put those four things into a Constitutional amendment and the SCOTUS football is deflated.
Unless I missed something about the McConnell Schumer power sharing arrangement, the dems don't have the votes for this.
(01-27-2021, 11:07 PM)jj82284 Wrote: [ -> ]Unless I missed something about the McConnell Schumer power sharing arrangement, the dems don't have the votes for this.

That was my understanding as well. I wasn't surprised to see Mitch take Chuck to the cleaners once again. All Chuck does is lose. He is scared to death of being primaried by AOC.
(01-27-2021, 11:34 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-27-2021, 11:07 PM)jj82284 Wrote: [ -> ]Unless I missed something about the McConnell Schumer power sharing arrangement, the dems don't have the votes for this.

That was my understanding as well. I wasn't surprised to see Mitch take Chuck to the cleaners once again. All Chuck does is lose. He is scared to death of being primaried by AOC.

If he keeps acquiescing to McConnell instead of shoving legislation down his throat (like McConnell does), he will be primaries out by AOC.

Of course, then our worst nightmares come true and there’s a President Ocasio-Cortez in 2028.

I also feel that at this point, it’s fair to say that if the Democrats are the party of the liberal nut AOC, republicans have made themselves the part of QAnon Karen Marjorie Taylor Greene. What are your thoughts on her and, to a marginally lesser extent, Boebert?
You have to push out the nutjobs on both sides. I am still predicting movement in the Supreme Court arena. You guys are giving Cocaine Mitch too much credit.
Can’t help but notice that so far, only Lucky2Last has addressed the Karen in the Congress
(01-29-2021, 12:36 PM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]Can’t help but notice that so far, only Lucky2Last has addressed the Karen in the Congress
Jew lasers started the California fires!
(01-29-2021, 12:46 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-29-2021, 12:36 PM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]Can’t help but notice that so far, only Lucky2Last has addressed the Karen in the Congress
Jew lasers started the California fires!

Is that you, Kristen Clarke?