Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Coaching Nepotism
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Coaching has been absolutely atrocious since Gus Bradley was hired in 2013. I think it's fair to say that Gus Bradley doesn't have what it takes to be a successful coach in this league. The Jaguars are constantly outcoached, undisciplined, and unprepared. Early on in Gus Bradley's tenure, it was more understandable than it is now. He was a first time head coach coaching a very young team. But these issues continuing in the 4th year with an older team and a more experienced head coach is inexcusable. Add in the fact that he may have lost the locker room, and it's an absolute mess for Gus Bradley and his staff.

I have to look back to Gus Bradley's first few years as head coach to understand why our teams continue to make the same mistakes now as they did in Gus' first year as head coach. I firmly believe that his insistence of hiring his buddies instead of experienced coaches has really hurt this football team.

Offensive Coordinator: Jedd Fisch: Some assistant roles with the Texans and Ravens, QB coach of the Seahawks, WR coach of the Broncos. No prior offensive coordinator experience in the NFL

Defensive Coordinator: Bob Babich: The man who took a top 5 defense in Chicago, turned it into the 21st worst defense in the league, then had the defense revert back to a top 5 defense the year after he was demoted to linebackers coach.

Gus finally realized his mistake and fired both Fisch and Babich and hired Greg Olson, who actually had previous experience as an OC in the NFL. Surprise, surprise, the Jaguars offense jumped from bottom 5 to top 10. But he continued his mistake by hiring Todd Wash, his buddy in Seattle, instead of looking for a defensive coordinator who had previous experience in the NFL. Wash's previous experience as a defensive coordinator was at Missouri Southern State in 2004.

We constantly complain about the Jaguars being outcoached, unprepared, and undisciplined, and it seems to me that this is because the Jaguars are led by coaches who have little or no experience at that position, have no experience game planning against another NFL team, or failed so miserably that they were demoted.

tl;dr: Gus Bradley hired inexperienced coaches to major positions, explaining why the Jags are constantly outcoached and unprepared.

It'll happen soon enough guys. This roster is too talented.
IMO, he lacks the basic leadership qualities required of a successful NFL HC.  Nice guy, bad coach.

Just hired some of his buddies who talked like a coach and name dropped terms like LEO, OTTO, etc to Khan and co., who ate it up. Really, it turns out that he just surrounded himself with guys who wouldn't question his abilities as a HC

(kinda feel bad I'm making an assumption like that on Bradley, but with how bad its been, I'm just trying to come up with a reason as to how the coaching staff come off to be so incompetent)
Quote:Just hired some of his buddies who talked like a coach and name dropped terms like LEO, OTTO, etc to Khan and co., who ate it up. Really, it turns out that he just surrounded himself with guys who wouldn't question his abilities as a HC

(kinda feel bad I'm making an assumption like that on Bradley, but with how bad its been, I'm just trying to come up with a reason as to how the coaching staff come off to be so incompetent)

The answer is simple. They are trying to force the Seattle scheme down here in Jax and it's just not working.

A simple 3-4 defense would do wonders for us.
Quote:Coaching has been absolutely atrocious since Gus Bradley was hired in 2013. I think it's fair to say that Gus Bradley doesn't have what it takes to be a successful coach in this league. The Jaguars are constantly outcoached, undisciplined, and unprepared. Early on in Gus Bradley's tenure, it was more understandable than it is now. He was a first time head coach coaching a very young team. But these issues continuing in the 4th year with an older team and a more experienced head coach is inexcusable. Add in the fact that he may have lost the locker room, and it's an absolute mess for Gus Bradley and his staff.

I have to look back to Gus Bradley's first few years as head coach to understand why our teams continue to make the same mistakes now as they did in Gus' first year as head coach. I firmly believe that his insistence of hiring his buddies instead of experienced coaches has really hurt this football team.

Offensive Coordinator: Jedd Fisch: Some assistant roles with the Texans and Ravens, QB coach of the Seahawks, WR coach of the Broncos. No prior offensive coordinator experience in the NFL

Defensive Coordinator: Bob Babich: The man who took a top 5 defense in Chicago, turned it into the 21st worst defense in the league, then had the defense revert back to a top 5 defense the year after he was demoted to linebackers coach.

Gus finally realized his mistake and fired both Fisch and Babich and hired Greg Olson, who actually had previous experience as an OC in the NFL. Surprise, surprise, the Jaguars offense jumped from bottom 5 to top 10. But he continued his mistake by hiring Todd Wash, his buddy in Seattle, instead of looking for a defensive coordinator who had previous experience in the NFL. Wash's previous experience as a defensive coordinator was at Missouri Southern State in 2004.

We constantly complain about the Jaguars being outcoached, unprepared, and undisciplined, and it seems to me that this is because the Jaguars are led by coaches who have little or no experience at that position, have no experience game planning against another NFL team, or failed so miserably that they were demoted.

tl;dr: Gus Bradley hired inexperienced coaches to major positions, explaining why the Jags are constantly outcoached and unprepared.

Lol How did he loses the locker room?
Most of the NFL works on nepotism of some form.
Quote:Most of the NFL works on nepotism of some form.

They all do. If you're a hiring manager building your staff and you can hire from just about any previous workers you've had (which is often the case with the NFL since its the upper echelon), you'd hire the guys you know vs. the ones you don't know.

Just take a look at Dirk Koetter and JDR's staff in Tampa and Oakland, respectively. You'll find quite a few names from former Jaguar regimes. Shoot, JDR has guys in Oakland that he fired while he was the HC here.