Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: A Quick Turnaround Possible?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I would say most would be reluctant to predict a quick turnaround for a team that finished the previous season 1-15.  I would consider myself among that group.

However, on the Chris Collinsworth podcast.  49ers LT Trent Williams discussed the Jaguars prospects of an immediate turnaround and sees it a viable possibility/

He states that getting rid of those contracts means they have already begun the rebuild, as opposed to starting it after the collapse.  Williams also cites Trevor Lawrence is ahead of most rookie QBs and that will make things easier.  Finally he talks about the free agency bloodbath to come where some quality veterans that would not ordinarily be available will hit the market.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/tr...0512322826

The specific discussion starts at the 1:03 mark.
It depends on who we get to build around Trevor. We need to protect him, we need to generate some kind of pass rush, we need to stop the run and we cannot give up big plays through the air like we did last season. If we can sure-up these areas, a quick turnaround is possible.
(03-10-2021, 03:11 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]It depends on who we get to build around Trevor. We need to protect him, we need to generate some kind of pass rush, we need to stop the run and we cannot give up big plays through the air like we did last season. If we can sure-up these areas, a quick turnaround is possible.

Of course.

Meyer and Baalke have to be smart about adding talent to this team.  But they also need to be aggressive.  They need to sell that they won't be another last place team, but that winning is not far away.
(03-10-2021, 03:37 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-10-2021, 03:11 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]It depends on who we get to build around Trevor. We need to protect him, we need to generate some kind of pass rush, we need to stop the run and we cannot give up big plays through the air like we did last season. If we can sure-up these areas, a quick turnaround is possible.

Of course.

Meyer and Baalke have to be smart about adding talent to this team.  But they also need to be aggressive.  They need to sell that they won't be another last place team, but that winning is not far away.

I'm still not setting my sights too high. Even with a good draft and free agent additions, I'm expecting a 6-10 season, maybe 7-9. The record isn't as important as seeing steady improvement. I just wanna make sure we are trending in the right direction. We are in a re-build and we have tons of holes to fill. I know it might take some time. With the right moves, we might be able to sneak into the playoffs by 2022.
(03-10-2021, 03:52 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-10-2021, 03:37 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Of course.

I'm still not setting my sights too high. Even with a good draft and free agent additions, I'm expecting a 6-10 season, maybe 7-9. The record isn't as important as seeing steady improvement. I just wanna make sure we are trending in the right direction. We are in a re-build and we have tons of holes to fill. I know it might take some time. With the right moves, we might be able to sneak into the playoffs by 2022.

That's my expectation as well.  Not every hole is going to be filled this off season.  But as long as we have a reasonable chance of winning/being competitive this year...as long as there are signs they are going to build to maximize Trevor Lawrence's production, I'll be okay for the short term.

Based on Urban Meyer's press conference yesterday, it seems defense is his priority.
A 6-10 or 7-9 season would qualify as a quick turnaround from 1-15.
ESPN's NFL live crew discussed this very topic.

ESPN's draft analyst Matt Miller believed the Jaguars were prime candidates for a quick turnaround, saying they could contend for the division title within two years, saying the Texans were nowhere close because they may end up trading DeShaun Watson, and that Tennessee was on the decline, in part because they just cut two members of their secondary.

However, Booger McFarland and Marcus Spears dismissed the notion saying the lines of scrimmage are wholly inadequate for the Jaguars to have a quick turnaround.
(03-10-2021, 06:02 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]ESPN's NFL live crew discussed this very topic.

ESPN's draft analyst Matt Miller believed the Jaguars were prime candidates for a quick turnaround, saying they could contend for the division title within two years, saying the Texans were nowhere close because they may end up trading DeShaun Watson, and that Tennessee was on the decline, in part because they just cut two members of their secondary.

However, Booger McFarland and Marcus Spears dismissed the notion saying the lines of scrimmage are wholly inadequate for the Jaguars to have a quick turnaround.

I just watched that and I agree with Booger and Marcus. We need to upgrade the trenches on both sides of the ball for a quick turnaround to happen.
If we can hit on some draft picks and get atleast 1-2 quality lineman, I could see us being quite a few games better. With a 17 game schedule, I could see us being a 7-10 team or 8-9 (that looks weird to say/type) and missing the playoffs by a game or 2.

But if we happen to get 5/6 wins but we see Trevor succeeding and the team outlook pointing up, i'll be okay with that too.
I heard on a podcast within the past couple days, I believe it was Bucky Brooks, that stated contending teams usually have 10-12 "blue chip" players. Not every position will ever be all blue chips, and would not work within a cap and unlikely in a system built largely on parity. I am guessing the Jags today have 3-5 of these players, depending upon the definition you wish to employ. With the cap resources for free agency and the 4 picks in the first 2 rounds of the draft, the team should begin to approach this contending level of blue chip players. However, I think it will likely take another year of player growth/development and some additional acquisition to really attain that level.
I think we win the division this year with a decent FA and good draft. Lets see what we do in those 2 aspects and we will have a better idea
I will have a better opinion on this after free agency and the draft. It's certainly possible but depends on how both lines look going into the season.
(03-10-2021, 06:05 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-10-2021, 06:02 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]ESPN's NFL live crew discussed this very topic.

I just watched that and I agree with Booger and Marcus. We need to upgrade the trenches on both sides of the ball for a quick turnaround to happen.

I agree with them too. 

I am left to wonder whether Meyer's disdain for the LT class extends to the draft.
(03-10-2021, 06:23 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]I think we win the division this year with a decent FA and good draft.  Lets see what we do in those 2 aspects and we will have a better idea
Well you thought they would be 9-7 or 10-6 last year.....
(03-10-2021, 08:28 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-10-2021, 06:23 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]I think we win the division this year with a decent FA and good draft.  Lets see what we do in those 2 aspects and we will have a better idea

I was 1 year early, not to bad
(03-10-2021, 08:33 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-10-2021, 08:28 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]Well you thought they would be 9-7 or 10-6 last year.....

I was 1 year early, not to bad
Hope you’re right this time!

Texans will be a mess and even worse if they trade Watson. titans don’t scare me. Colts roster is really good but it all hinges on Wentz.

Hopefully Jags can make the right moves and get closer to 8-8.
You want a quick turnaround. That's the Russell Wilson model. The window to stack a team is before the franchise QB's rookie contract expires.
(03-10-2021, 08:28 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]

He also thought that signing Nick Foles was a great decision and that he'd lead us to the Super Bowl  Laughing
(03-10-2021, 09:58 PM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-10-2021, 08:28 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]Well you thought they would be 9-7 or 10-6 last year.....

He also thought that signing Nick Foles was a great decision and that he'd lead us to the Super Bowl  Laughing

Well yeah, dude broke his shoulder in the first game throwing a dime TD to Chark.  If your starting QB goes down week 1 it's gonna be hard. This miscarriage didn't help Foles either.
(03-10-2021, 10:03 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-10-2021, 09:58 PM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]He also thought that signing Nick Foles was a great decision and that he'd lead us to the Super Bowl  Laughing

Well yeah, dude broke his shoulder in the first game throwing a dime TD to Chark.  If your starting QB goes down week 1 it's gonna be hard.  This miscarriage didn't help Foles either.

So his collarbone is the cause of him getting tossed around the league prior to coming here and why the Bears are currently desperate to get rid of him/upgrade now? Sure bud..
Pages: 1 2