Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: When all else fails, Play the race card......
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Elizabeth Warren Claims Senate Policy That Is Thwarting Democrats Is Racist

Sen. Elizabeth Warren claimed Thursday that the Senate’s filibuster, which is preventing Democrats from quickly passing legislation, “has deep roots in racism.”

https://www.westernjournal.com/elizabeth...TNyDpQt4KQ
Dick Turbin of Illinois was trying this tact a few days ago when he was called out on his hypocrisy about supporting the filibuster.
Racist when it doesn't work for them...

How many times did she benefit from it until she stumbled upon this revelation?
The race card is one of the first cards to come out these days.

The filibuster was certainly used by racist Southerners like Smathers of Florida, for racist purposes, but I won't waste anyone's time litigating if that was its main use.

The filibuster should go. It has completely outlived its usefulness. In the 90s, Senators used to come to the table sincerely, saying, "I know we need to do *something*, so let me tell you how you can earn my vote on this bill". They used to form "gangs of eight" and such to get deals made on multiple topics. But now they just say "no and hell no" as the minority party.
Congress is behind on its work.
Scotus told them to update the Voting Rights Act in 2013.
Scotus told them they need to establish standards for nonpartisan district lines in 2019.
Scotus is struggling to interpret the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Social media and streaming companies are struggling to apply laws that were last updated in 1996.
Immigration judges and immigrants themselves are struggling to interpret law regarding refugees that hasn't been updated since 1986.
I don't have the "answer" to any of these, I just know they need to be addressed, senators need to get together and make deals and say, "I'll vote with you on this issue if you vote with me on mine." otherwise law and order will continue to be undermined as judges just make stuff up or ignore problems.
This filibuster rule is only preventing them from catching up.
...and if this was 4 years ago, you'd be singing a different tune.
(03-23-2021, 11:37 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]...and if this was 4 years ago, you'd be singing a different tune.

Maybe, but Republicans in the Senate couldn't even get 50 votes to repeal Obamacare.
Seems like the filibuster wasn't the main problem at that time.