Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Evanston, Illinois, has become the first U.S. city to make reparations for slavery
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Using tax money from the sale of recreational marijuana, the Chicago suburb of Evanston has become the first U.S. city to make reparations available to its Black residents for past discrimination and the lingering effects of slavery.

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/...-to-blacks
Your headline is inaccurate, their intent is to make reparations for their housing discrimination. Local reparations for a local problem.
(03-24-2021, 04:16 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]Your headline is inaccurate, their intent is to make reparations for their housing discrimination. Local reparations for a local problem.

"Using tax money from the sale of recreational marijuana, the Chicago suburb of Evanston has become the first U.S. city to make reparations available to its Black residents for past discrimination and the lingering effects of slavery."

It's accurate. The title makes no claim about it being a national or statewide law.
So racism is over in Chicago..

Finally!!
So stupid! If we're gonna start reparations (which I think is a ridiculous concept to begin with), it should begin and end with Native Americans. They've been treated WAY worse than African Americans. It's not even close. Once again, it's all about who ever makes the most noise, getting their own way.
So are me and my family going to get some kind of reparations for fighting and dying trying to free those slaves?
(03-24-2021, 04:16 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]Your headline is inaccurate, their intent is to make reparations for their housing discrimination. Local reparations for a local problem.

There is nothing wrong with the headline, it's accurate.

I don't necessarily agree with it, but I don't live in Evanston so it doesn't affect me at all.

If cities and towns are going to start paying "reparations" for past discrimination, especially in the early 1900's the list is going to be long.  The only part of the article that is inaccurate is the "lingering affects of slavery".  What about the outright discrimination that occurred towards other minorities during that time frame?
Is there a formula for people who are only partially black? What if a fair skinned freckled red head claims his great grandfather was black? Will there be DNA tests to confirm?

Evanston is going to deeply regret they went down this road.
As someone who has unfortunately been to that God forsaken city/area... don’t ever go there.
(03-24-2021, 06:30 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a formula for people who are only partially black? What if a fair skinned freckled red head claims his great grandfather was black? Will there be DNA tests to confirm?

Evanston is going to deeply regret they went down this road.

Maybe some kind of 3/5ths compromise?
FREE MONEY!!!!  If a man can identify as a woman, can a white guy identify as black?
(03-24-2021, 06:46 PM)Sneakers Wrote: [ -> ]FREE MONEY!!!!  If a man can identify as a woman, can a white guy identify as black?

So many things I want to say about this post.  So many things I shouldn’t say.  +1 for having an open mind and thinking outside the box.
(03-24-2021, 04:56 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]So stupid! If we're gonna start reparations (which I think is a ridiculous concept to begin with), it should begin and end with Native Americans. They've been treated WAY worse than African Americans. It's not even close. Once again, it's all about who ever makes the most noise, getting their own way.

As a 1/4% Native American where do I sign up?
(03-24-2021, 08:21 PM)copycat Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-24-2021, 04:56 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]So stupid! If we're gonna start reparations (which I think is a ridiculous concept to begin with), it should begin and end with Native Americans. They've been treated WAY worse than African Americans. It's not even close. Once again, it's all about who ever makes the most noise, getting their own way.

As a 1/4% Native American where do I sign up?

We put the sign up table in this beautiful, lush, and fertile stretch of land about 185 miles northeast of Los Angeles, California near a place called Bar-stow. We know how you injun fellas like the fire water, so we even put "Bar" in the name so's you wouldn't fergit it on the way. Would you like a nice blanket for the trip?
(03-24-2021, 04:13 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: [ -> ]Using tax money from the sale of recreational marijuana, the Chicago suburb of Evanston has become the first U.S. city to make reparations available to its Black residents for past discrimination and the lingering effects of slavery.

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/...-to-blacks

Dumb.  Really bad idea.
(03-24-2021, 10:23 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-24-2021, 08:21 PM)copycat Wrote: [ -> ]As a 1/4% Native American where do I sign up?

We put the sign up table in this beautiful, lush, and fertile stretch of land about 185 miles northeast of Los Angeles, California near a place called Bar-stow. We know how you injun fellas like the fire water, so we even put "Bar" in the name so's you wouldn't fergit it on the way. Would you like a nice blanket for the trip?

Easy now, the other 3/4 is Irish so yeah, I'm doomed.