Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Oakland CA giving out monthly checks to low income families...unless you’re white.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(03-25-2021, 09:38 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: [ -> ]Wow.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/24/us/oaklan...index.html

If that passes, we need to go to war..
*sigh* Dang it! This guarantees nothing but more blue staters leaving for red states.
Black people leaving CA for NV, AZ, and GA is what tipped the 2020 election to Biden.
At the national level, a Republican should want that exodus to slow down.
It would be interesting to see if there are any studies that show that these 'guaranteed income' programs ever actually helped lift the recipients out of poverty so that they can function as a contributing member of society and not be an economic drain. Of course, we all know that's not the goal here, but it should be.
(03-26-2021, 09:24 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]It would be interesting to see if there are any studies that show that these 'guaranteed income' programs ever actually helped lift the recipients out of poverty so that they can function as a contributing member of society and not be an economic drain.  Of course, we all know that's not the goal here, but it should be.

It isn't about lifting them out of poverty as much as guaranteeing they have income to buy things like cell phones, TV's, subscription services, etc.

Just look at who is lobbying for UBI and that will give you a better idea of the overall intent.
(03-26-2021, 09:24 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]It would be interesting to see if there are any studies that show that these 'guaranteed income' programs ever actually helped lift the recipients out of poverty so that they can function as a contributing member of society and not be an economic drain.  Of course, we all know that's not the goal here, but it should be.

From what I've read, there's convincing evidence that guaranteed income improves outcomes for children, so the next generation is more likely to become self sufficient, but they've had a harder time showing that the adult recipients, the parents, are more likely to become earners down the road.

Remains to be seen if the positive effects on the kids scale up when the number of parents getting the benefits scales up from "a few" to "almost all.". There may be an aspect where the success of young adults is a zero sum game, like grading on a curve, some have to fail for others to succeed. We all hope not, but...
(03-26-2021, 09:35 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]

It isn't about lifting them out of poverty as much as guaranteeing they vote Democrat so they don't lose the have income they use to buy things like cell phones, TV's, subscription services, etc.

Just look at who is lobbying for UBI and that will give you a better idea of the overall intent.

FTFY
As a rule, I'm not in favor of free money with no strings. The people of color qualification seems arbitrary until you read a bit more.

"The project targets groups with the city's greatest wealth disparities, per the Oakland Equality Index, which reveals the median income for White households in Oakland to be nearly three times that of Black households."

So they're attempting to reverse income disparities. Misguided maybe but I do understand what they're trying to do at least.
I remember reading something a while back (don't remember where and can't find it) where a study said that if you took all wealth and re-distributed it equally among all people, it was a relatively short time where the former "wealthy" people would be wealthy again and the former "poor" people would be poor again.

Ask the average person that you come across in your daily life what they would do if they suddenly had $10,000,000.00.  I'll bet the answers would range from buying something to taking a vacation.

Look at what so many professional athletes do when they sign a big contract.  You see them driving fancy expensive cars, buying huge homes and wearing the "bling".  There are many that squandered the opportunity that they earned and ended up with basically "nothing".

Giving people a hand out does nothing for them.  Giving people a hand up does.  The "COVID relief stimulus" checks are hand outs.
(03-26-2021, 04:59 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]I remember reading something a while back (don't remember where and can't find it) where a study said that if you took all wealth and re-distributed it equally among all people, it was a relatively short time where the former "wealthy" people would be wealthy again and the former "poor" people would be poor again.

Ask the average person that you come across in your daily life what they would do if they suddenly had $10,000,000.00.  I'll bet the answers would range from buying something to taking a vacation.

Look at what so many professional athletes do when they sign a big contract.  You see them driving fancy expensive cars, buying huge homes and wearing the "bling".  There are many that squandered the opportunity that they earned and ended up with basically "nothing".

Giving people a hand out does nothing for them.  Giving people a hand up does.  The "COVID relief stimulus" checks are hand outs.

You keep on throwing out specious and faulty reasoning like this.
yes, those are exactly the responses you would get if you ask people what they would do with 10 million dollars.
Yes, only some would use it in a way that they stayed wealthy long-term.
But that's not the type of handout we're discussing.
We're discussing one thousand dollars. A handout that is four orders of magnitude smaller.
It's like saying you once took a ride on the Oasis of the seas, so you're more than prepared to handle my 25 ft motor boat.
Chesters CSWS.
So what about the white folks who fit into the income range they're going by?

And how does a family if three live on an income of $59K in CA?!
(03-25-2021, 09:43 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-25-2021, 09:38 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: [ -> ]Wow.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/24/us/oaklan...index.html

If that passes, we need to go to war..

You going to war with Oakland?  

No, all you need to do is take this to court.  It's obviously unconstitutional to hand out money to poor people and exclude poor white people.  Seems like a slam dunk to me.
(03-27-2021, 05:59 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-25-2021, 09:43 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]If that passes, we need to go to war..

You going to war with Oakland?  

No, all you need to do is take this to court.  It's obviously unconstitutional to hand out money to poor people and exclude poor white people.  Seems like a slam dunk to me.

It was a figure of speech.
(03-25-2021, 10:21 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]Black people leaving CA for NV, AZ, and GA is what tipped the 2020 election to Biden.

Georgia is doing just that by passing new legislation to restrict early voting and drop off ballots. 

Voter suppression is the most effective way to keep minorities from voting.
(03-27-2021, 10:35 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-25-2021, 10:21 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]Black people leaving CA for NV, AZ, and GA is what tipped the 2020 election to Biden.

Georgia is doing just that by passing new legislation to restrict early voting and drop off ballots. 

Yeah, only white people have ID's, right JFC? 

Some people don't deserve to vote. Should maybe get their GEDs and pay taxes first.
(03-27-2021, 11:16 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-27-2021, 10:35 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: [ -> ]Georgia is doing just that by passing new legislation to restrict early voting and drop off ballots. 

Yeah, only white people have ID's, right JFC? 

Some people don't deserve to vote. Should maybe get their GEDs and pay taxes first.

Im confused by your first sentence, is it hyperbole for my prior response? 

When you say some people dont deserve to vote is it based off of your opinion or fact based?
(03-28-2021, 07:16 AM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-27-2021, 11:16 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, only white people have ID's, right JFC? 

Im confused by your first sentence, is it hyperbole for my prior response? 

When you say some people dont deserve to vote is it based off of your opinion or fact based?

It's based off of their obvious inability to be self-sufficient within society, without regard to their race or skin color.
(03-28-2021, 07:39 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-28-2021, 07:16 AM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: [ -> ]Im confused by your first sentence, is it hyperbole for my prior response? 

It's based off of their obvious inability to be self-sufficient within society, without regard to their race or skin color.

We shouldn't let women vote, either.  They're too emotional.
Pages: 1 2 3