Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: So it begins.... Court packing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Lip service or real goals? Dems are going to have a tough battle here, but it's scary it's even an option.

Democrats Introducing Legislation To Pack Supreme Court With 4 New Justices, Report Says | The Daily Wire
Its a huge temper tantrum because President Trump ( A real President) was able to place three...
It won't happen this term because Manchin and Sinema won't allow it.
If Democrats run on a court-packing platform in 2022, and get majorities in both houses, then it will happen.
However, those are both unlikely and it's even less likely that both happen.
The only way it happens is if the Roberts court hands down a decision that gets the Dems' base really fired up. Repealing Obamacare would do it. A decision allowing a state abortion ban to stand probably doesn't get there because it wouldn't affect most states and therefore wouldn't affect most women.
I think Roberts knows all this which is why he's punting on abortion until an opportune time and why he's never going to vote to repeal Obamacare. But Roberts isn't the swing vote anymore since RBG passed. So the question is, do any of Trump's 3 appointees see things the same way?
They stole a Presidential election. I don't put anything past them. THEY WANT TO KEEP POWER IN PERPATUATIY. (omg, I spelt that right the first time)
(04-15-2021, 05:56 PM)Ronster Wrote: [ -> ]They stole a Presidential election. I don't put anything past them. THEY WANT TO KEEP POWER IN PERPATUATIY. (omg, I spelt that right the first time)

This is actually pretty true and accurate (something rare with you).  It's nothing more than a power grab and should concern most people.  They (radical democrats) want to ram it through as quickly as possible before the 2022 elections.
(04-15-2021, 05:56 PM)Ronster Wrote: [ -> ]They stole a Presidential election. I don't put anything past them. THEY WANT TO KEEP POWER IN PERPATUATIY. (omg, I spelt that right the first time)

Not a spelling bee wiz, but gonna go out on a limb and say you spelled that incorrectly. .
(04-15-2021, 06:47 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]

Not a spelling bee wiz, but gonna go out on a limb and say you spelled that incorrectly. .

Laughing
I don't want to add additional Supreme Court Justices but I would prefer something like a 12 year term be initiated. Then, the residing President that is in office when the term ends can decide whether to renew the Justice for another 12 year term of go in a different direction and replace the Justice.
(04-15-2021, 03:38 PM)Ronster Wrote: [ -> ]Its a huge temper tantrum because President Trump ( A real President) was able to place three...

If anyone knows about childish tantrums it's you.

Either his first one is illigitimate or his last one is.
Mcconnell's choice.

When you have to tell people ones the real president, then their no president at all.
perpetuity, yep I was no where close to correct. LOL.. but I didn't get the red line..
The idea that the executive branch should appoint the judicial branch is a disaster. We stopped doing it that way at the state level in most states 100 years ago. It becomes very corrupt.
The judges at the appellate level know who the best judges are. They should create a list of nominees and the Senate could pick one whenever there's an opening.
It's a really bad idea, because if the Democrats can increase the court enough to swing the balance back to the liberals, what should they expect the Republicans to do when they regain power?

Right now, supposedly the court is 6-3 in favor of the conservatives. So if the Democrats increase the court by 4, to swing the balance to 6 conservatives and 7 liberals, then when the Republicans regain power, they will increase the court by 2 more to swing the balance back to 8 conservatives and 7 liberals. And within a generation, the Supreme Court will be as large as the Congress, and just as political.

I don't think there's any appetite for this. Biden says he's going to establish a commission to study it, which is a common political trick. Commissions are where ideas to go die.
(04-16-2021, 12:20 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]It's a really bad idea, because if the Democrats can increase the court enough to swing the balance back to the liberals, what should they expect the Republicans to do when they regain power?  

Right now, supposedly the court is 6-3 in favor of the conservatives.  So if the Democrats increase the court by 4, to swing the balance to 6 conservatives and 7 liberals, then when the Republicans regain power, they will increase the court by 2 more to swing the balance back to 8 conservatives and 7 liberals.  And within a generation, the Supreme Court will be as large as the Congress, and just as political.

I don't think there's any appetite for this.  Biden says he's going to establish a commission to study it, which is a common political trick.  Commissions are where ideas to go die.

Biden called FDR's attempt to pack the courts a "boneheaded idea". Let's see if he stands by it.