Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Don't take a RB in the first round?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Per SportSource Analytics- 

Since 2005, here is a breakdown of the RBs taken in the first round who became 1,000 yard rushers: 

RD 1  
- 55% 15/27
RD 2  - 29% 11/38
RD 3  - 16% 6/37
RD 4  - 7% 3/45
RD 5  - 7% 3/42
RD 6  - 4% 2/46
RD 7  - 2% 1/51

Sure, you can find a RB in the later rounds, just like you can find a QB in the later rounds (Tom Brady), but like any other position, you'll have the best result if you try to pick the best one. 
(04-30-2021, 08:11 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]Per SportSource Analytics- 

Since 2005, here is a breakdown of the RBs taken in the first round who became 1,000 yard rushers: 

RD 1  
- 55% 15/27
RD 2  - 29% 11/38
RD 3  - 16% 6/37
RD 4  - 7% 3/45
RD 5  - 7% 3/42
RD 6  - 4% 2/46
RD 7  - 2% 1/51

Sure, you can find a RB in the later rounds, just like you can find a QB in the later rounds (Tom Brady), but like any other position, you'll have the best result of you try to pick the best one. 
If we didnt have James Robinson I think the reaction would be a little different, but we do
(04-30-2021, 08:15 AM)JNev Wrote: [ -> ]

RD 1  
- 55% 15/27
RD 2  - 29% 11/38
RD 3  - 16% 6/37
RD 4  - 7% 3/45
RD 5  - 7% 3/42
RD 6  - 4% 2/46
RD 7  - 2% 1/51

Sure, you can find a RB in the later rounds, just like you can find a QB in the later rounds (Tom Brady), but like any other position, you'll have the best result of you try to pick the best one. 
If we didnt have James Robinson I think the reaction would be a little different, but we do
Precisely.

Pick 25 for someone who is going to play 30% of the snaps? Etienne is a very good RB but I would have gone in a different direction. 

Some of you know that we can disagree with the pick and yet still support the team and hope Etienne balls out right? Lol
(04-30-2021, 08:18 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-30-2021, 08:15 AM)JNev Wrote: [ -> ]If we didnt have James Robinson I think the reaction would be a little different, but we do
Precisely.

Pick 25 for someone who is going to play 30% of the snaps? Etienne is a very good RB but I would have gone in a different direction. 

Some of you know that we can disagree with the pick and yet still support the team and hope Etienne balls out right? Lol

You're making some progress.. Keep up the good work..
(04-30-2021, 08:19 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-30-2021, 08:18 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]Precisely.

You're making some progress.. Keep up the good work..
lol Still me BABAY.

Just a little more hungover than usual..... Time to boycott staying up til 2am!
Hey, I'm just saying, this very stylish "don't pick a RB in the first round..." is garbage.

RB is like any other position. They come off the board in the order of their quality. The best ones are inevitably picked in the first round.
I think Urban wanted Kadarius Toney at this pick. He wanted an offensive weapon with speed. Etienne fits the bill.
(04-30-2021, 08:18 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-30-2021, 08:15 AM)JNev Wrote: [ -> ]If we didnt have James Robinson I think the reaction would be a little different, but we do
Precisely.

I had the same thought, then I realized there's no reason the Jags can't put both of them on the field at the same time.  2-back attack like Fournette and Grant in 2017.
If we weren't picking only a handful of picks later and didn't have 2 2nd picks, I would probably be more upset about this one.

Since this is the 1st round, I would rather have an elite guy at his position than reach of a position of need for a guy who may or may not pan out.

Don't get me wrong, I am not defending our GM here and think he is perfectly capable of being a horrible GM, but this pick didn't really upset me. The tackle they would have likely reached for is probably still sitting there.

RD 1  
- 55% 15/27
RD 2  - 29% 11/38
RD 3  - 16% 6/37
RD 4  - 7% 3/45
RD 5  - 7% 3/42
RD 6  - 4% 2/46
RD 7  - 2% 1/51

Sure, you can find a RB in the later rounds, just like you can find a QB in the later rounds (Tom Brady), but like any other position, you'll have the best result if you try to pick the best one. 

It only works when your O-Line is good. Our OT's suck! This is a perfect example of putting the cart before the horse. Robinson runs between the Tackles which is why he found success. Etienne needs to hit the corner and that depends on good blocking by the OT's. He's not gonna get that here.

(04-30-2021, 08:53 AM)cincyjacket Wrote: [ -> ]I think Urban wanted Kadarius Toney at this pick. He wanted an offensive weapon with speed. Etienne fits the bill.

I'd still take Etienne over Toney.
(04-30-2021, 09:22 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]

RD 1  
- 55% 15/27
RD 2  - 29% 11/38
RD 3  - 16% 6/37
RD 4  - 7% 3/45
RD 5  - 7% 3/42
RD 6  - 4% 2/46
RD 7  - 2% 1/51

It only works when your O-Line is good. Our OT's suck! This is a perfect example of putting the cart before the horse.

Exactly. This was a wasted pick and it doesn't give me much faith in UM and Baalke for the remaining picks. 

Lawrence was an easy choice. My cat would have picked Trevor. #25 was their first real decision and I think they wasted it.
(04-30-2021, 09:22 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]

RD 1  
- 55% 15/27
RD 2  - 29% 11/38
RD 3  - 16% 6/37
RD 4  - 7% 3/45
RD 5  - 7% 3/42
RD 6  - 4% 2/46
RD 7  - 2% 1/51

It only works when your O-Line is good. Our OT's suck! This is a perfect example of putting the cart before the horse.

Well, for some reason, Urban Meyer disagrees with you.  He thinks our offensive line is okay as it is.  He thinks they can play better than they did last year. They did run block pretty well last year.  

He wanted more game breaking difference makers on offense.  He wanted more speed.  We definitely need more than one RB, and Etienne is a high quality running back.
(04-30-2021, 09:28 AM)Sibelius Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-30-2021, 09:22 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]It only works when your O-Line is good. Our OT's suck! This is a perfect example of putting the cart before the horse.

Exactly. This was a wasted pick and it doesn't give me much faith in UM and Baalke for the remaining picks. 

Lawrence was an easy choice. My cat would have picked Trevor. #25 was their first real decision and I think they wasted it.

Ryan Grigson got credit for getting Andrew Luck (which was a no-brainer) and then proceeded to go years without getting him any protection and he had to retire early due to injuries, because he was hit so much. I hope to God, we don't do that to Trevor.
I love the pick. Essentially have him 6 years without committing a ton of cash and adds a home run threat to the ground. I think you’ll see 50/50 carries and all of third down with him. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him lined up all over.

Moehrig and barmore are my other two interests. Both are still sitting there. It was a good move.
(04-30-2021, 09:28 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-30-2021, 09:22 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]It only works when your O-Line is good. Our OT's suck! This is a perfect example of putting the cart before the horse.

Well, for some reason, Urban Meyer disagrees with you.  He thinks our offensive line is okay as it is.  He thinks they can play better than they did last year. They did run block pretty well last year.  

He wanted more game breaking difference makers on offense.  He wanted more speed.  We definitely need more than one RB, and Etienne is a high quality running back.

Nothing helps a QB more than a good running attack.

Because he is solely listening to George Warhop, a man who shouldn't even be employed and is the worst O-Line coach in the entire NFL. He's literally taking advice from a man who has not developed a decent OT in years! 

The interior O-Line blocked well last year. The OT's were one of the lowest ranked blocking duos in the NFL in 2020. 

Protection on the O-Line and good run blocking helps a QB way more than a RB does. That is football 101.
Who would we have behind Robinson on the depth chart? They seem complementary playstyles and it'll take the pressure off Lawrence.
(04-30-2021, 08:15 AM)JNev Wrote: [ -> ]

RD 1  
- 55% 15/27
RD 2  - 29% 11/38
RD 3  - 16% 6/37
RD 4  - 7% 3/45
RD 5  - 7% 3/42
RD 6  - 4% 2/46
RD 7  - 2% 1/51

James Robinson is a grinder. ETN is a home run hitter. We can have both.
(04-30-2021, 09:35 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-30-2021, 09:28 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]Well, for some reason, Urban Meyer disagrees with you.  He thinks our offensive line is okay as it is.  He thinks they can play better than they did last year. They did run block pretty well last year.  

Nothing helps a QB more than a good running attack.

Because he is solely listening to George Warhop, a man who shouldn't even be employed and is the worst O-Line coach in the entire NFL. He's literally taking advice from a man who has not developed a decent OT in years! 

The interior O-Line blocked well last year. The OT's were one of the lowest ranked blocking duos in the NFL in 2020. 

Protection on the O-Line and good run blocking helps a QB way more than a RB does. That is football 101.

Solely listening to Warhop?  You have a quote to that effect?  So you're saying he's done no roster evaluation?
(04-30-2021, 09:39 AM)RicoTx Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-30-2021, 09:35 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]Because he is solely listening to George Warhop, a man who shouldn't even be employed and is the worst O-Line coach in the entire NFL. He's literally taking advice from a man who has not developed a decent OT in years! 

Solely listening to Warhop?  You have a quote to that effect?  So you're saying he's done no roster evaluation?

If he is counting on our OT's suddenly developing quicker feet and better technique out of thin air, then I see no way he could have done a proper roster evaluation. No reasonable, knowledgeable football coach would count on an incompetent player suddenly developing in one season, under the same positional coach when they have failed to do so for several years. Heck, Taylor even got worse last season.
Exactly, why pick a RB in the first round. STUPID, STUPID, STUPID!!
Pages: 1 2