Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Has the national media ever talked about Jax this much?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I remember back in 1995 the national media, which was just a couple of shows on TV spoke about the Jags but they would always tie the Panthers in with the Jags.

Then we made a Super Bowl miracle run in 1996 after we won 7 straight games and Anderson missed that chip shot FG to put us in the playoffs. We got some exposure from that. Then we beat Buffalo and we started getting tons of attention. Then we beat Denver and we were called the Jagwads before the game. 

In 1997,1998,1999 we were known as a team that could win any game, and amount the best teams in the league. We got a lot of national media hype in 1999 and were Super Bowl favorites. 

We fell off a cliff from that point up until the Del Rio era when our team became known as a team you didn’t want to play come playoff time. We were talked about here and there but not much.

Now we sign Tebow and everywhere I look we are being talked about. 

This is not a tebow thread. However the amount of exposure he is bringing our team is kind of a good thing even though it’s in the negative light. I can’t remember getting this much attention since we were picked to win it all in 1999.
SCREW the national media. Wish they would leave us alone, i feel like they don't deserve our evolving story!!
In 2017/18 offseason we were hyped thru the roof.

I agree with the above poster.
It’s sad but the fact is the we are a small, very unsuccessful(in terms of winning so far), franchise that has not given MSM much to talk about that isn’t negative.

Why would they. It is easier for an ESPN level network to fill time slots for NFL with with mini stories about teams with much larger fanbases that will reward their clients(paid advertising)with clicks and ratings they can show them on paper.

I feel like the real issue from what I said above is that the MSM unfortunately has to consider their “clients” the advertising and not the viewers.

Sad but true.

(05-21-2021, 06:45 AM)JagsorDie Wrote: [ -> ]It’s sad but the fact is the we are a small, very unsuccessful(in terms of winning so far), franchise  that has not given MSM much to talk about that isn’t negative.

Why would they. It is easier for an ESPN level network to fill time slots for NFL with with mini stories about teams with much larger fanbases that will reward their clients(paid advertising)with clicks and ratings they can show them on paper.

I feel like the real issue from what I said above is that the MSM unfortunately has to consider their “clients” the advertising and not the viewers.

Sad but true.
So before we got 'no respect' and that was bad? Now that we're getting coverage and it's by and large negative, the lack of respect is cool. Great,
Shannon: See, hairs tha thang Skeeyup

Skip: (breaths) hhhhhhhhh, it’s my turn!! Timothy Tebow took the Denver Broncos to the playoffs.

Shannon: He can’t play TE

Skip: you know it and I know it
(05-21-2021, 09:08 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]Shannon: See, hairs tha thang Skeeyup

Skip: (breaths) hhhhhhhhh, it’s my turn!! Timothy Tebow took the Denver Broncos to the playoffs.

Shannon: He can’t play TE

Skip: you know it and I know it

Your subtitles of Shannon are absolutely spot on
This team was talk of media boneheads for at least 2-3 years. According to them, we we're fixin to lose the team to relocation, somewhere in Cali if I remember correctly..
Never in human history of competition sports has any sports organization ever been a bigger joke that the Jaguars are right now....naturally the media talking about and/or laughing at us on a historic level....
(05-21-2021, 09:17 PM)TLawIsEnforced Wrote: [ -> ]Never in human history of competition sports has any sports organization ever been a bigger joke that the Jaguars are right now....naturally the media talking about and/or laughing at us on a historic level....
I'm a Jets fan ... and I"d beg to differ

I hope both franchises make a turn this year.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
(05-21-2021, 09:17 PM)TLawIsEnforced Wrote: [ -> ]Never in human history of competition sports has any sports organization ever been a bigger joke that the Jaguars are right now....naturally the media talking about and/or laughing at us on a historic level....

I have to agree with you here. Skip Bayless seems to love it for some reason. I think that’s how he stays relevant.

You're a joke!  when are you switching teams..Don't let the door hit you on the way out
Guys, I really think that this Tebow attention is an offseason dead-zone sort of story at it's finest. Once the games start, people are going to be a lot more excited about our starting QB throwing TDs than a gadget play tight end. People like to see Tebow get a shot because they like how he carries himself as a person. However, T-Law (who coincidentally is also a great role model) will be the main story of this team for a long time. Hopefully Tebow surprises us all. I am definitely not rooting against Tebow to make the team, but this story line is a foot note compared to the main event.
Hey more offseason fun
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sp...uxbndlbing

I wonder if this was in the contract
(06-01-2021, 08:52 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: [ -> ]Hey more offseason fun
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sp...uxbndlbing

I wonder if this was in the contract

Meh.  Had seen this.  Thought it was mildly funny.  'Celebrities' have been doing cameos like this for a while.

It was worse for the Jags in 2009 during the great recession.  Those empty seats made us an easy target, despite the fact that other organisations suffered as much or more. 

I don't live in Jax, so maybe there's just more focus there right now on how we're being perceived nationally.  Sorry, not seeing it where I am.

Clearly you aren't familiar with much of sports history.
Why is everyone so obsessed with what these media clowns think of this team? If they had it their way, we wouldn't even have a team right now, we'd either be the London Jaguars or the LA Jaguars before the rams made the jump back.