Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Linder still one of the best centers in the league
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Mr. Consistent, Linder has been our best lineman since being drafted.  He has been one of the better centers in the league since he moved to center from guard.  He misses a few games a year but it's not as bad when you have one of the best back up centers in the league like we do.  One or 2 guys on here bring up cutting him every offseason and then talk about our poor oline, makes a lot of sense lol.  This year he comes in at 6, last year I believe they rates him the 5th best center

"Center Rankings: The 32 best players entering the 2021 NFL season | NFL News, Rankings and Statistics | PFF" https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-center-rank...nfl-season
(05-26-2021, 09:50 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]Mr. Consistent, Linder has been our best lineman since being drafted.  He has been one of the better centers in the league since he moved to center from guard.  He misses a few games a year but it's not as bad when you have one of the best back up centers in the league like we do.  One or 2 guys on here bring up cutting him every offseason and then talk about our poor oline, makes a lot of sense lol.  This year he comes in at 6, last year I believe they rates him the 5th best center

"Center Rankings: The 32 best players entering the 2021 NFL season | NFL News, Rankings and Statistics | PFF" https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-center-rank...nfl-season

In before our resident armchair gms come in and tell us how we don’t know anything about olines and how the team has no idea how to evaluate talent blah blah blah... how dare you say something positive about this oline
He's getting old..I do agree with the OP, but its time we start looking for his replacement through the draft
He's been the best Interior lineman we've had since Garrard was our QB tbh, he does have a penchant for taking some untimely penalties although i'm not sure how ticky tacky some of those calls are yk
(05-26-2021, 10:58 PM)wrong_box Wrote: [ -> ]He's getting old..I do agree with the OP, but its time we start looking for his replacement through the draft

Seems like just yesterday Linder was replacing Meester.
He's been one of our best lineman which speaks more to the lack of quality on our OL than anything particularly positive about the player. Average at best and has a history of being injury prone although he's been reasonably consistent when he's healthy.
(05-27-2021, 06:31 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: [ -> ]He's been one of our best lineman which speaks more to the lack of quality on our OL than anything particularly positive about the player. Average at best and has a history of being injury prone although he's been reasonably consistent when he's healthy.

The only three centers with a higher PFF grade than Linder (87.4) since he entered the league in 2014 are Travis Frederick, Jason Kelce and Alex Mack. 

Linder is better than average 
It’s a shame he never really sniffed any recognition in terms of Pro Bowls or All-Pros.
(05-27-2021, 07:49 AM)HolsterHusto Wrote: [ -> ]It’s a shame he never really sniffed any recognition in terms of Pro Bowls or All-Pros.

Kind of like Fred Taylor who only had 1 Daryl Smith who had none.
Linder is 29 yrs old.
Could be in the league beyond his current deal w/ the Jags. Not uncommon at his position. How old was Meester when he retired?
(05-27-2021, 07:24 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-27-2021, 06:31 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: [ -> ]He's been one of our best lineman which speaks more to the lack of quality on our OL than anything particularly positive about the player. Average at best and has a history of being injury prone although he's been reasonably consistent when he's healthy.

The only three centers with a higher PFF grade than Linder (87.4) since he entered the league in 2014 are Travis Frederick, Jason Kelce and Alex Mack. 

I wouldn't take PFF to seriously. They use a grading system with very little actual analysis of game film. Most other sources usually have him middle of the pack at best. From what I've seen over the years, he's a smart player but not particularly physical for a lineman and he's injury prone.
Of course Linder is our best O-Lineman. By quite a bit. The problem is that he's only been able to play a full slate of 16 games, once in his entire career. When he's healthy, he's good. When he's not, we really don't have any standout O-Linemen. Norwell is a little above average, Cann is average at this point and our starting OT's are among the worst in the NFL. Shatley is a decent backup, but definitely not starter material.

As far as people mentioning cutting Linder, I don't remember anyone suggesting that should be done. That would be a boneheaded move. When you have a subpar O-Line like we do, you certainly don't cut your best player. Will the new coaching staff have a different opinion? I have no idea. We'll just have to wait and see.
(05-27-2021, 08:11 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Linder is 29 yrs old.
Could be in the league beyond his current deal w/ the Jags. Not uncommon at his position. How old was Meester when he retired?

Meester was 36 (2013 season was his last).  Linder has 2 years left on his current deal, and likely can play another 5-7 years if he wants.
(05-27-2021, 08:31 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]Of course Linder is our best O-Lineman. By quite a bit. The problem is that he's only been able to play a full slate of 16 games, once in his entire career. When he's healthy, he's good. When he's not, we really don't have any standout O-Linemen. Norwell is a little above average, Cann is average at this point and our starting OT's are among the worst in the NFL. Shatley is a decent backup, but definitely not starter material.

As far as people mentioning cutting Linder, I don't remember anyone suggesting that should be done. That would be a boneheaded move. When you have a subpar O-Line like we do, you certainly don't cut your best player. Will the new coaching staff have a different opinion? I have no idea. We'll just have to wait and see.
No one is saying to cut Linder so no clue where that is coming from.

It's upgrading Cam, Cann and Taylor.
(05-27-2021, 07:24 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]

Oh I miss the yearly teasing of will this be the year we get Alex Mack.

Linders been our best O-line player for a while. I think the only real problem is weve needed him anywhere across the line as he was better than anyone else we had.
(05-26-2021, 09:50 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]Mr. Consistent, Linder has been our best lineman since being drafted.  He has been one of the better centers in the league since he moved to center from guard.  He misses a few games a year but it's not as bad when you have one of the best back up centers in the league like we do.  One or 2 guys on here bring up cutting him every offseason and then talk about our poor oline, makes a lot of sense lol.  This year he comes in at 6, last year I believe they rates him the 5th best center

@So you're saying he's in decline?@

(Those are sarcasm tags ya goofs)

Like you said, if not for the missed game or two per season, he'd probably be among the cream of the crop. But, just about every OL misses time, it is a position that is rough on a body. Consistency is important on the line, and it's good that we have a solid guy on the interior to work around.
(05-27-2021, 08:28 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-27-2021, 07:24 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]The only three centers with a higher PFF grade than Linder (87.4) since he entered the league in 2014 are Travis Frederick, Jason Kelce and Alex Mack. 

I wouldn't take PFF to seriously. They use a grading system with very little actual analysis of game film. Most other sources usually have him middle of the pack at best. From what I've seen over the years, he's a smart player but not particularly physical for a lineman and he's injury prone.

I'd say he is above average, nothing special.
(05-27-2021, 08:28 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-27-2021, 07:24 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]The only three centers with a higher PFF grade than Linder (87.4) since he entered the league in 2014 are Travis Frederick, Jason Kelce and Alex Mack. 

His grade matches the eye test.  He's good in pass protection and is a good run blocker.  The few games he misses a year doesn't hurt that bad when you have one of the best back up centers in the league

(05-27-2021, 10:16 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-27-2021, 08:28 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: [ -> ]I wouldn't take PFF to seriously. They use a grading system with very little actual analysis of game film. Most other sources usually have him middle of the pack at best. From what I've seen over the years, he's a smart player but not particularly physical for a lineman and he's injury prone.

I'd say he is above average, nothing special.
He's one of the better centers in this league and has been for years now, give me that for any position.  What centers in this league are special to you?

(05-27-2021, 08:40 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-27-2021, 08:31 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]Of course Linder is our best O-Lineman. By quite a bit. The problem is that he's only been able to play a full slate of 16 games, once in his entire career. When he's healthy, he's good. When he's not, we really don't have any standout O-Linemen. Norwell is a little above average, Cann is average at this point and our starting OT's are among the worst in the NFL. Shatley is a decent backup, but definitely not starter material.

It has been brought up by a couple on here almost every year to cut Linder
(05-27-2021, 08:34 AM)ATLjag Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-27-2021, 08:11 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Linder is 29 yrs old.

Meester was 36 (2013 season was his last).  Linder has 2 years left on his current deal, and likely can play another 5-7 years if he wants.

This, he hasn't even hit 30 yet, crazy how people think 29 is old for a lineman lol.if he stays healthy the next few years I wouldn't be shocked if he gets an extension
(05-27-2021, 08:40 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]

Agreed. The OP said there is always one or two guys that talk about cutting him every year. I wanna know who those fools are?
Pages: 1 2