Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: NFL Virtue Signals, AGAIN
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The 'Black national anthem' will be played before every NFL game. Why are people upset?

Because IT IS STUPID. And does NOTHING BUT FURTHER DIVIDE AMERICANS. I will boo loudly every time its played and I DARE any idiot to say something to me about it. 

https://www.azcentral.com/story/entertai...987280002/
(07-16-2021, 02:54 PM)Ronster Wrote: [ -> ]The 'Black national anthem' will be played before every NFL game. Why are people upset?

Because IT IS STUPID. And does NOTHING BUT FURTHER DIVIDE AMERICANS. I will boo loudly every time its played and I DARE any idiot to say something to me about it. 

https://www.azcentral.com/story/entertai...987280002/

I don't think there should be any national anthem played before any game.
So... what nation does the black anthem represent? In order for it to be a national anthem, a country has to adopt that as it's anthem.

Is it the anthem for Liberia?
It's pretty sad that the NFL is caving to the "woke" leftist crowd.  I've heard the "boycott" nonsense from some people at work today.  Whether they actually don't watch the games or not, who knows?  I don't really care.  I personally fast-forward through the pre-game stuff if watching on TV.  When I am at a live game I'll stand for the National Anthem and sit for whatever other nonsense that they want to do pre-game.

I look at it this way.  I am an American and a Veteran so the National Anthem certainly applies to me.  I am not black so the "black national anthem" means nothing to me.
(07-16-2021, 03:10 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]So... what nation does the black anthem represent? In order for it to be a national anthem, a country has to adopt that as it's anthem.

Actually it's a national anthem for people who represent about 60% of the league.
(07-24-2021, 10:59 AM)Norman Mushari Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-16-2021, 03:10 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]So... what nation does the black anthem represent? In order for it to be a national anthem, a country has to adopt that as it's anthem.

Actually it's a national anthem for people who represent about 60% of the league.

That's why they need to quit with all these displays of patriotism and playing songs. It's become a demonstration if hatred for the country. That's a fact we can't change. But we shouldn't invite insult and disharmony by playing out a ritual of strife and hatred. Just start the game. We know a lot of you hate the country, and a lot of you love it. So we're just going to have a game. Kind of like the way a movie starts.
How many national anthems can there be?
Is there a gay national anthem?
(07-24-2021, 11:58 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a gay national anthem?

Goodbye Yellowbrick Road?
If we accept that the Star Spangled Banner is the US national anthem and blacks have an anthem that isn't that one then we accept that blacks aren't American. Shame, it was going so well.

It's Rainin' Men ?
(07-24-2021, 12:24 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]If we accept that the Star Spangled Banner is the US national anthem and blacks have an anthem that isn't that one then we accept that blacks aren't American. Shame, it was going so well.

Unfortunately it hasn't been going well at all on this matter, but I agree with your initial premise. 

Recognizing social injustice can be achieved in wiser fashion than introducing something that furthers polarization. 

At the end of the day it's just a lovely song with a positive message, but it will be misconstrued as something more than that in differing ways by multiple subsets of fans and observers. Not the smartest way for the league to handle the issue.
(07-24-2021, 12:25 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]

It's Rainin' Men ?

I’m in Riverside. You haven’t lived until you’ve seen a big burly man in a blue sequin gown ride by on a float belting out “it’s raining men”. It was fabulous!
(07-16-2021, 03:56 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]I look at it this way.  I am an American and a Veteran so the National Anthem certainly applies to me.  I am not black so the "black national anthem" means nothing to me.

If someone isn’t an American, do you think that they shouldn’t stand for our National Anthem?
(07-24-2021, 01:13 PM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-16-2021, 03:56 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]I look at it this way.  I am an American and a Veteran so the National Anthem certainly applies to me.  I am not black so the "black national anthem" means nothing to me.

If someone isn’t an American, do you think that they shouldn’t stand for our National Anthem?

Does the word "official" carry any meaning for you?

(07-24-2021, 12:38 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-24-2021, 12:24 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]If we accept that the Star Spangled Banner is the US national anthem and blacks have an anthem that isn't that one then we accept that blacks aren't American. Shame, it was going so well.

Unfortunately it hasn't been going well at all on this matter, but I agree with your initial premise. 

Recognizing social injustice can be achieved in wiser fashion than introducing something that furthers polarization. 

At the end of the day it's just a lovely song with a positive message, but it will be misconstrued as something more than that in differing ways by multiple subsets of fans and observers. Not the smartest way for the league to handle the issue.

It was going quite well!

[Image: m93slyugg06xznz9rzso1w.png]

So what happened in 203 to start us on this track?
The Star spangled banner is about how we fight through the night to win wars.
Lift every voice and sing is about loving God and accepting this place as your native land even though it enslaved your ancestors.
If you can sing the former without ever having been a soldier, can you sing the latter even if your ancestors were never slaves?
Maybe not.
But anyhow the song has a positive message that black people belong here and are part of this country. It's not a song about separation or segregation.

(07-24-2021, 02:26 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-24-2021, 01:13 PM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote: [ -> ]If someone isn’t an American, do you think that they shouldn’t stand for our National Anthem?

Does the word "official" carry any meaning for you?

(07-24-2021, 12:38 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately it hasn't been going well at all on this matter, but I agree with your initial premise. 

It was going quite well!

So what happened in 2013 to start us on this track?

Trayvon Martin was shot the year before, and Michael Brown was shot the year after.
(07-24-2021, 01:13 PM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote: [ -> ]

Yes.  I stood with my hands at my side during the Canadian National Anthem while attending a Montreal Expo’s game many moons ago.  You do it out of respect to your host.
(07-24-2021, 02:29 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]The Star spangled banner is about how we fight through the night to win wars.
Lift every voice and sing is about loving God and accepting this place as your native land even though it enslaved your ancestors.
If you can sing the former without ever having been a soldier, can you sing the latter even if your ancestors were never slaves?
Maybe not.
But anyhow the song has a positive message that black people belong here and are part of this country. It's not a song about separation or segregation.

(07-24-2021, 02:26 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Does the word "official" carry any meaning for you?

It was going quite well!

So what happened in 2013 to start us on this track?

Trayvon Martin was shot the year before, and Michael Brown was shot the year after.

Nah, the deaths of those two criminals weren't enough to spark this reversal. Something else drove this.
Trayvon was killed by a biracial POC, Zimmermans mother is Peruvian.
(07-24-2021, 02:59 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: [ -> ]Trayvon was killed by a biracial POC, Zimmermans mother is Peruvian guy who he was straddling and pounding his head into the concrete.

Ya know...
Pages: 1 2