Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: New IRS login versus Voting ID
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has anyone tried creating a new IRS username and password?

You have to use a third-party program called ID.me.

It requires front and back state issued ID, a video selfie and much more... I got to the video selfie part and decided it wasn't for me. Spoiler alert.. video selfie was step 2 out of 5 for verification.

So... why is it so hard to create an ID for the IRS... but virtually anyone can vote... even without an ID...?

But here's the crappy part.. it's not letting me cancel the monthly child credit without getting this system. So one day this month I have to do it. Awesome.
I've used ID.me to verify my veteran status for discounts on a couple of websites. There's no reason I can think of that I would have to register on the IRS site for anything. Five verification steps seems like overkill. And what is the video selfie for?!
(07-19-2021, 04:13 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]I've used ID.me to verify my veteran status for discounts on a couple of websites. There's no reason I can think of that I would have to register on the IRS site for anything. Five verification steps seems like overkill. And what is the video selfie for?!

I was fine with the Drivers License pictures... but then it asked for that and it made me both angry and confused so I just closed it all and vowed to try again another way. It looks like that's the only way unless you've previously created an account with them.

It's insane. 5 steps... and 2 is video selfie.. what is 3? Thumbprint? 4? Voiceprint? 5? Retinal Print??
(07-19-2021, 03:36 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]Has anyone tried creating a new IRS username and password?

It requires front and back state issued ID, a video selfie and much more... I got to the video selfie part and decided it wasn't for me. Spoiler alert.. video selfie was step 2 out of 5 for verification.

So... why is it so hard to create an ID for the IRS... but virtually anyone can vote... even without an ID...?

But here's the crappy part.. it's not letting me cancel the monthly child credit without getting this system. So one day this month I have to do it. Awesome.

Here's the thing that most people don't realize.  The "tax credit for kids" is basically an "advance" on your 2021 tax return.  Rather than give the "credit" when someone files their taxes they are paying it out in advance.  It's an incredibly stupid thing to do, especially with the economy the way that it is.  All it does is flood more money into the economy and drive inflation higher.  People aren't smart enough to save the extra "free money from the government".  They would rather blow it on a new golf club instead.

A lot of people are going to be pissed off when their "tax refund" is much smaller than they are used to.
(07-19-2021, 04:13 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]I've used ID.me to verify my veteran status for discounts on a couple of websites. There's no reason I can think of that I would have to register on the IRS site for anything. Five verification steps seems like overkill. And what is the video selfie for?!
(07-19-2021, 04:15 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-19-2021, 04:13 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]I've used ID.me to verify my veteran status for discounts on a couple of websites. There's no reason I can think of that I would have to register on the IRS site for anything. Five verification steps seems like overkill. And what is the video selfie for?!

I was fine with the Drivers License pictures... but then it asked for that and it made me both angry and confused so I just closed it all and vowed to try again another way. It looks like that's the only way unless you've previously created an account with them.

It's insane. 5 steps... and 2 is video selfie.. what is 3? Thumbprint? 4? Voiceprint? 5? Retinal Print??
Hard to fake a moving video unless you have a lot of pictures online. You also give them enough for facial req now with the video.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
Think of it this way: without very strict verification, someone could create an account for someone else, and look at their tax returns. Like, for example, if some past President did not want to release his tax returns, someone else could create an account under that name and get the returns. Unless, there were very strict rules for verification.
(07-19-2021, 06:09 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-19-2021, 03:36 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]Has anyone tried creating a new IRS username and password?

Here's the thing that most people don't realize.  The "tax credit for kids" is basically an "advance" on your 2021 tax return.  Rather than give the "credit" when someone files their taxes they are paying it out in advance.  It's an incredibly stupid thing to do, especially with the economy the way that it is.  All it does is flood more money into the economy and drive inflation higher.  People aren't smart enough to save the extra "free money from the government".  They would rather blow it on a new golf club instead.

A lot of people are going to be pissed off when their "tax refund" is much smaller than they are used to.

The people who really need this tax credit aren't in a position to "save" it, it's keeping them in food and shelter.
(07-20-2021, 07:15 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]Think of it this way: without very strict verification, someone could create an account for someone else, and look at their tax returns.   Like, for example, if some past President did not want to release his tax returns, someone else could create an account under that name and get the returns.  Unless, there were very strict rules for verification.

Huh, I wonder if we could think that way about voting. I mean, I guess it's just a vote, right. It's not important if someone could vote for someone else. Like, for example, if a certain block of people didn't vote regularly, someone could fill out a ballot for them under their name and turn it in on their behalf. Unless, of course, there were strict rules for verification.
How are poor people supposed to have access to their own tax information when you’re requiring not only identification that is apparently too costly for them to get, but also a cellphone with a camera and a data plan or internet service?
(07-20-2021, 11:28 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: [ -> ]How are poor people supposed to have access to their own tax information when you’re requiring not only identification that is apparently too costly for them to get, but also a cellphone with a camera and a data plan or internet service?

You say poor people, Biden calls them black people.. Why would it matter anyway? If they can't operate a laptop, they probably can't operate a cell phone either, right?