Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Camping With FBT: 7/30 Practice Session
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well, after a long (years long) hiatus, I wanted to get a feel for the Urban Meyer era, and wanted to put eyes on our many new toys acquired this year via free agency and the draft.  It was nice to be back at the stadium, hanging with friends and enjoying a little football in a very controlled environment.  I was a little rusty at the start, but fortunately the first half of practice was all individual drills, with the squads working on footwork, hands, and understanding the playbook.

It wasn't too hot to start practice.  The cloud cover and breeze coming off the river kept the heat down for the first hour or so.  Then the clouds parted, and you could feel the heat cranking up quickly.  It was a good crowd, standing room only, for the most part.  We were fortunate enough to get to the end of the permanent bleachers early enough to get a good perch from which to enjoy practice.  

[Image: E7jweqtXMAAXqR8?format=jpg&name=large]

Urban was the first guy on the field.  When they let the fans in, he was already walking the perimeter of the practice facility by himself getting ready for the practice session.  He was out there a good 30 minutes before the first players took to the field.  

He did take the microphone and address the crowd before the start of practice, giving the fans a little taste of Urban's motivational speaking abilities.  I can see why players are willing to run through brick walls for Urban because he knows how to push the right buttons to get folks fired up.  Even if the team struggles this year, it's going to be fun to watch for sure.

The first player to enter the field was DE Aaron Patrick (#94).  He must have been eager to get out there because he was out there a few minutes before anyone else.  The crowd was waiting for the guys they wanted to see, and as they trickled out, you knew who was going to get the most support from the fans.  The mullet-free Minshew trotted out to a pretty rowdy cheer from the fans, but it was when Tebow took to the field that the locals really let loose.  When Trevor made it out on the field, he also got a big welcome from the fans.  

Some notables.  DJ Chark definitely looks like he's spent time in the gym.  Not to be outdone, Tim Tebow looks like he's a Mack truck.  The dude is ripped, which we all knew from reports, but actually seeing him in person you can see how hard he's working to transform himself to make this roster.  More on him later because he had a good practice for the most part.  Chris Manhertz is a big dude.  He also has better hands than I expected.  During individual drills, he was plucking balls over coverage with relative ease.  Granted, it was against interns in his face, but he made a couple of grabs on not so accurate passes that really showed his hand skills in shedding a block and snagging passes. James O'Shaughnessy was participating in individual drills, but didn't partake in the full squad session.  He looked healthy, but they were clearly keeping him out.  The other TEs on the roster were enjoying the extra reps.

Watching the QBs warming up, Gardner actually looked good.  Granted, it was against air as they were tossing to receivers one on one, so it's easy for the QBs to look good since it's just a pitch and catch session at that point, but he looked sharp.  So did Trevor, who was dropping deep passes to DJ Chark and Marvin Jones Jr.  His ability to put his passes on a dime, and making them catchable is impressive to see  in person.  You hear the reports, and to see it live, watching how effortlessly he can heave a pass 40 or 50 yards and drop it right in the hands of his receivers is something we're not used to here in Jacksonville.  He looks every bit the franchise QB, even though Urban had him running with the 2s the entire day in team drills.  The crowd was really questioning that, but we're only a couple of sessions into training camp.  I'm sure things will switch up for now.  It sure felt like they were keeping Trevor on a pitch count today.  He did connect with Tebow on a couple of nice passes deep.  Timmy seems to be adept at running straight line down the sideline. 

During unit drills, the TEs were right in front of us.  It was interesting watching the coaching, and Tebow was clearly working hard to get things right.  Whether it was hand drills or working on his footwork, he was talking to the coaches and the other players out there, and they were really working well together to get things right.  It won't be for a lack of working if he doesn't make the roster.  He's probably better than a couple of the guys he's competing with for a spot.  He did line up at FB a few times during 11 x 11 drills.  Not sure if that will work.  We'll see when pads go on, but they were working on blocking techniques, and shedding coverage to make a catch, and he seemed to do pretty well.  He did drop one of the passes, but it actually bounced off the intern's hands as Tebow was going up to grab it.  Granted, Manhertz was in a similar situation and he was able to grab the football anyway, but Tebow didn't look awkward at all in his new role.  

Let's talk about the drills, as there was a real focus on 11 on 11 in various situations.

11 x 11 Round 1:

Minshew was running with the first team today.  He started out practice doing what he does best, which is rolling out and connecting on short passes to the outside.  He hit Marvin Jones Jr. on a couple of quick outs.  MJJ is going to be a fun guy to watch out there.  He's clearly better than what we've seen on the field in recent years.  He looks like he's ready to be that guy for the Jags.  Hopefully that will continue to stand out as we move into contact drills and the preseason.  

A couple of notable standouts when Minshew was in there.  Josh Hammond had a couple of nice grabs, including one leaping grab along the sideline on a mid-range Minshew pass.  Luke Farrell also had a nice grab on a deep crossing route in coverage.  Had there been contact allowed, I'm not sure if he would have made that play, but he actually showed nice hands in snagging the pass for a big gain.  Granted, the LBs and DBs were all hands up at the end of these passing plays. 

Trevor took over and immediately went deep to Jalen Camp who had gotten behind coverage on a seam route.  The pass couldn't have been thrown any better, but again, as with Minshew, coverage went hands up so while it was a beautiful pass, I'm not sure the outcome would have been the same if the DBs werel allowed to go hot.  

Lawrence showed his arm strength on a pass to Tyler Davis.  Lawrence was still dropping back when he flicked the ball down the sideline to Tyler Davis for a 30 yard gain, and the ball was placed right where it needed to be put despite throwing off his back foot.  

CJ Bethard took over the offense and connected with Jalen Camp on a deep seam route.  Jarrod Wilson probably would have taken Camp's head off and nearly picked the pass as he dove in and had to pull up to avoid contact.  Bethard came right back to Camp on a deep sideline pass that was just barely overthrown.  Camp has nice deep speed, and they're definitely trying to take advantage of that.  

7 x 7 (Red Zone Drills):

They alternated QBs on each play during the drill, with Minshew kicking things off and connecting short of the endzone with James Robinson.  It would have gotten them a first down on the play for sure as Mishew went uncharacteristically over the middle with a pass.  

Trevor hit that new TE, Timmy Tebow in the endzone for a falling grab.  Not sure if it would have been a TD in a real game situation, but Tebow showed good hands on the catch as he was going to the ground.

Minshew connected with Collin Johnson on a short pass on the sideline that would have gone for a short gain.

Lawrence hit Dare Ogunbwale on a crossing route as he was rolling out to the right and hit the RB as he was going into the endzone.  Ogunbwale was in the middle of 3 defenders, so while the pass was pinpoint accurate, I'm pretty sure he would have gotten his bell rung short of the goal line if they were hitting.   

Uncle Rico's trainee rolled to the right to avoid the pass rush, and zipped a pass over the outstretched hands of Devine Ozigbo who was open in the corner of the endzone.

Trevor tried to connect with Tebow in the corner of the endzone.  The pass was zipped in pretty quickly, and Tebow wasn't able to handle the high fast ball, as the pass went right through his hands.

Minshew was able to connect with Dorsett in the corner of the endzone for a TD in coverage.  Dorsett made a nice grab on the pass going up to get it.

Beathard had a nice toss to Ozigbo in front of Tyson Campbell who was in tight coverage going over the middle.  I'm fairly certain Campbell wouldn't have allowed the reception in contact practices.  

Trevor tried to hit Jalen Camp on the sideline in the endzone, but the pass came in high and hot, and Camp wasn't able to haul it in.  It was clearly a miss for Trevor more than a muff by Camp.  

Gardner tried to connect with Etienne going over the middle in the endzone, but the ball bounced off his intended targets hands and went incomplete.  

Trevor connected with Hammond for TD on the far sideline.  Hammond got behind his coverage and was wide open.  

Minshew connected with DJ Chark for a TD.  Chark had to go over the top of coverage to snag the pass. He's looking really good out there.

Jalen Camp had a good practice session.  He connected for a couple of TDs with Trevor where he was able to get open along the sideline in both instances.  

Minshew played to his mobility, rolling out away from the pass rush (blocking dummies) and flipping a pass to Shenault on the sideline for a TD. He followed that up trying to go to Manhertz for a TD on the right side of the endzone, but Daniel Thomas was able to get a hand on the pass to knock it away.

Beathard had a couple of passes with mixed results.  On one play, he connected with Collin Johnson short of the goal line.  Johnson's momentum carried him out of bounds before he could get into the endzone.  On his next pass, he tried to blast a pass into James Robinson in double coverage, but the pass was high, and Robinson couldn't handle it, allowing the ball to go incomplete.

11 x 11 Round 2 (Red Zone):

Shenault ran a sweep on the first play that went for a nice gain.  Of course, no contact, so ANY run went for big yardage.  However, in this instance, it probably would have been an easy first down regardless of whether they were hitting or not.

Gardner connected with Carlos Hyde on a little dump off that Hyde was able to turn into a first down grab.

Minshew came back and hit Marvin Jones Jr. who made a great catch over the coverage.  The ball probably would have been at least batted away in contact situations, but the DB went hands up so it ended up being uncontested.

After a short gain by James Robinson, Minshew connected with Collin Johnson for a TD.

Etienne took a toss sweep to the left to the endzone.  I suspect it would have been a nice gain regardless, but he never woud have seen the endzone if the defense was hitting.  

Trevor tried to connect with Ben Ellefson in the endzone, but the pass was a bit high and went incomplete.

Lawrence came back with a designed keeper that went for a short gain to the right side.  Ogunbowale followed up with a run up the middle that went for another short gain.  

Trevor followed up the back to back runs with a quick hit to Etienne for a TD in traffic.  Etienne showed some real quickness to get open in coverage.

Lawrence came back and dropped a touch pass over coverage in the corner of the endzone hitting Collin Johnson.  

Beathard zipped a pass into coverage over the middle hitting Nathan Cottrell for a TD on a quick crossing route.

Beathard followed up a couple of short runs by Ozigbo and Cottrell with a ground ball over the middle intended for 6'4" Tyler Davis.  The ball skipped so far out in front of Davis that it actually hit him in the chest off the bounce. 

That play ended the practice session.

I'm looking forward to seeing the boys in pads.  These underwear practices are fun to watch just to get back into football mode, but until the defense is allowed to do their job, it's tough to get a sense of things out there.  The one thing that is crystal clear is that Trevor Lawrence is as advertised.  The guy just looks the part.  How that translates once the hits start remains to be seen, but I don't think that's a big deal.  

It'a impossible to gauge the defense in these practices.  They were out there.  They were doing their thing.  They weren't really able to engage with the offense, so we'll see where they are next week when the hitting starts.  Right now it's just a pitch and catch thing which is entertaining enough, but it'll be nice to see the team really being pushed on both sides of the ball.

One thing to note. While Minshew was signing foam footballs to toss into the bleachers, Trevor was still on the field working with his coaches and a receiver or two. That tells you all you need to know about our franchise guy. Trevor did eventually come over and toss a few autographed balls to the crowd, and actually handed one of his wristbands to my buddy's grandson. I really believe this guy is going to be special.

One last thing.  The Roar?  Did they recruit this group from the day crew at the local gentlemen's club?  Seriously, this was the B team out there today.  Wink

More later!
Thanks, FBT.
An awesome write up as always. I haven’t been this excited for training camp in forever, so I will be looking forward to these reports
Bravo!!. Muchos grassy [BLEEP].
Welcome back and a HUGE thank you for your time and effort!!
(07-30-2021, 02:44 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: [ -> ]An awesome write up as always. I haven’t been this excited for training camp in forever, so I will be looking forward to these reports

Same here.  It's been a while since I've felt interested in going and actually writing something up.  This team is going to be fun to watch, so hopefully the bandwagon fills back up.
Thanks, Tim. Good stuff.
Much appreciated FBT. Always appreciated your mixture of insight and humor doing these things. In your years of covering this team, have you EVER seen a QB look this good?
(07-30-2021, 03:23 PM)NCJag Wrote: [ -> ]Much appreciated FBT. Always appreciated your mixture of insight and humor doing these things. In your years of covering this team, have you EVER seen a QB look this good?

Short answer?  Not exactly.  

Longer answer, Brunell in his prime was good, but limited because of his height.  This guy has all the tools, and he's a rookie.  If he's not setting franchise records by year two, I'd be surprised.  He has serious skills.

Brunell was a great QB here.  He wasn't what I would consider a franchise QB.  In my opinion, Trevor seems to be the kind of QB who elevates the play of everyone around him.  He looks like a legit franchise QB.
Thanks for doing this, FBT. You have a great attention to detail, and for us out of towners this is a great chance to stay on top of the team's progress.

Most of all, glad the team is giving you and the rest of us something to cheer for!
Thanks so much for this.
Thanks as always.
Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for this Tim. Great work!
If someone can’t make it on July 31, I would gladly take your tickets. I have a family of 5. We are season ticket holders.
Thanks for the write up as always!
Awesome report. Cant wait for the pads to go on.
Welcome back FBT.

NH3...
Good to see this, FBT!
Tim, having been around these boards for a lot of years, I didn't realize how much I enjoyed your coverage of camp until it wasn't there.

Glad to see you back. Hope to see you do this more often as I have always enjoyed your insight.

Thanks for your time and effort.
Pages: 1 2