Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Suburban NY county considers letting police sue protesters
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I say good, if you resist arrest or harm a LEO in any way while you're rioting, you should be held financially accountable.......

Suburban NY county considers letting police sue protesters

Lawmakers in a suburban New York county are set to vote Monday on a proposal that would allow police officers to sue protesters and collect financial damages — a move civil rights activists say is payback for demonstrations after the police killing of George Floyd last year in Minneapolis.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/nassau-county...protesters
Is it common practice for officers to sue drunk drivers who lead them on a chase resulting in injury? Just a wild example to ask where the bar is now. If officers today are able to sue individuals that cause them damage in the line of duty, then this should already be covered and no different. If they're not currently allowed to and the law here is written in such a way that it targets protestors, then it's a violation of the First Amendment.
Protests should never end in damage to people or property. Riots are straight up about destruction. Drunk drivers are idiots who might cause some destruction.

If you can sue one you should be able to sue them all. Everyone makes a conscious choice to do a thing.
(07-31-2021, 09:17 PM)The Drifter Wrote: [ -> ]I say good, if you resist arrest or harm a LEO in any way while you're rioting, you should be held financially accountable.......

Lawmakers in a suburban New York county are set to vote Monday on a proposal that would allow police officers to sue protesters and collect financial damages — a move civil rights activists say is payback for demonstrations after the police killing of George Floyd last year in Minneapolis.

Just as long as citizens are allowed to sue the police, I am ok with it. Qualified immunity needs to end.
(08-02-2021, 11:56 AM)Dimson Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-31-2021, 09:17 PM)The Drifter Wrote: [ -> ]I say good, if you resist arrest or harm a LEO in any way while you're rioting, you should be held financially accountable.......

Just as long as citizens are allowed to sue the police, I am ok with it. Qualified immunity needs to end.

Yeah, I can't wait until the first 589,000 lawsuits are filed when every single "Wasn't me" defendant decides his best chance in Court is to sue the cop who arrested him. That'll go over well.
(08-02-2021, 02:29 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-02-2021, 11:56 AM)Dimson Wrote: [ -> ]Just as long as citizens are allowed to sue the police, I am ok with it. Qualified immunity needs to end.

Yeah, I can't wait until the first 589,000 lawsuits are filed when every single "Wasn't me" defendant decides his best chance in Court is to sue the cop who arrested him. That'll go over well.

That is why you punish frivolous law suits. You can't just let cops and politicians do whatever they want and have no possible financial consequences.
(08-02-2021, 02:58 PM)Dimson Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-02-2021, 02:29 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, I can't wait until the first 589,000 lawsuits are filed when every single "Wasn't me" defendant decides his best chance in Court is to sue the cop who arrested him. That'll go over well.

That is why you punish frivolous law suits. You can't just let cops and politicians do whatever they want and have no possible financial consequences.

You're new here, ain'tcha?
(08-02-2021, 03:00 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-02-2021, 02:58 PM)Dimson Wrote: [ -> ]That is why you punish frivolous law suits. You can't just let cops and politicians do whatever they want and have no possible financial consequences.

You're new here, ain'tcha?

No. But if a cop injures or kills someone innocent in the line of duty, they should be able to be sued just like anyone else.
(08-02-2021, 03:02 PM)Dimson Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-02-2021, 03:00 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]You're new here, ain'tcha?

No. But if a cop injures or kills someone innocent in the line of duty, they should be able to be sued just like anyone else.

If they do permit it then it has to have very narrow and strict permissibility.

You really don't understand how the world works on a fundamental level do you?

Doctors have to play malpractice insurance.... it's a lot. They pay that so if they get sued, their insurance takes care of it.

You want the police to pay line-of-duty insurance (which by the way, doctors have months, weeks, days, hours of time to make choices, cops have seconds)? Allright.. be ready to pay them 250k a year. Each of them.

Like I said, a total clueless approach to the way the world actually works.

It's not as easy as a blanket statement like that.  Consider this hypothetical situation.

A cop responds to a major traffic accident.  The driver is in the car and is injured.  The car catches fire.  The cop removes the driver and it turns out that person had say a neck or back injury.  The action of the cop removing the person made the injury worse and the person ends up paralyzed.  Should the person be able to sue the cop for making the injury worse and causing paralysis?
(08-02-2021, 03:07 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-02-2021, 03:02 PM)Dimson Wrote: [ -> ]No. But if a cop injures or kills someone innocent in the line of duty, they should be able to be sued just like anyone else.

If they do permit it then it has to have very narrow and strict permissibility.

I'm cool with this. Just get it right.
(08-02-2021, 03:16 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-02-2021, 03:02 PM)Dimson Wrote: [ -> ]No. But if a cop injures or kills someone innocent in the line of duty, they should be able to be sued just like anyone else.

You really don't understand how the world works on a fundamental level do you?

Doctors have to play malpractice insurance.... it's a lot. They pay that so if they get sued, their insurance takes care of it.

You want the police to pay line-of-duty insurance (which by the way, doctors have months, weeks, days, hours of time to make choices, cops have seconds)? Allright.. be ready to pay them 250k a year. Each of them.

I said cops and politicians. They shouldn't be let off the hook either. No one should be above the law. If a cop breaks the law, they should have to pay financially just like the rest of us. For example a cop was found guilty of raping and beating a woman. The woman tried to sue the cop for damages and to pay for her hospital bills but couldn't because the cop was protected by qualified immunity. Now tell me again how we shouldn't be able to sue cops.
(08-02-2021, 10:04 PM)Dimson Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-02-2021, 03:16 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]You really don't understand how the world works on a fundamental level do you?

I said cops and politicians. They shouldn't be let off the hook either. No one should be above the law. If a cop breaks the law, they should have to pay financially just like the rest of us. For example a cop was found guilty of raping and beating a woman. The woman tried to sue the cop for damages and to pay for her hospital bills but couldn't because the cop was protected by qualified immunity. Now tell me again how we shouldn't be able to sue cops.

That actually happened?
They need to sue their mayor and governor..
(08-03-2021, 06:12 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-02-2021, 10:04 PM)Dimson Wrote: [ -> ]I said cops and politicians. They shouldn't be let off the hook either. No one should be above the law. If a cop breaks the law, they should have to pay financially just like the rest of us. For example a cop was found guilty of raping and beating a woman. The woman tried to sue the cop for damages and to pay for her hospital bills but couldn't because the cop was protected by qualified immunity. Now tell me again how we shouldn't be able to sue cops.

That actually happened?

Yes. Unfortunately it did.
(08-03-2021, 08:05 AM)Dimson Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-03-2021, 06:12 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]That actually happened?

Yes. Unfortunately it did.

Do you have a link?
(08-03-2021, 08:17 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-03-2021, 08:05 AM)Dimson Wrote: [ -> ]Yes. Unfortunately it did.

Do you have a link?

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/georgia...iPwmEgRzBA
(08-03-2021, 11:45 AM)Dimson Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-03-2021, 08:17 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]Do you have a link?

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/georgia...iPwmEgRzBA

FTA: "Christmas is appealing the judge’s decision. She would like to see qualified immunity changed to all associated parties being responsible when an officer is convicted. She can sue Pierson individually, but she said he has no money or job since he is in prison."
I don't always agree that an institution should pay for the crimes of an individual, but in this case they should because that man had a history of trouble and his employer did nothing about it. Shame on them.
Pages: 1 2