Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Veteran Refuses To Remove American Flag, HOA Is Taking His Home
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is outrageous...... HOA's have too much freaking power and they more then likely are prone to abuse it....... Everyone that's a PROUD American should have the right to fly Old Glory anytime, Anywhere......

Veteran Refuses To Remove American Flag, HOA Is Taking His Home

After a Navy veteran refused to remove his American flag from his yard, the local homeowner association slammed him with ridiculous daily fines. Although he finally took down his beloved flag, he was shocked when they ultimately came for his home.

https://taphaps.com/reed-herman-veteran-...FXjJlq5GJ4
I agree that HOAs suck, and some have way too much power. But, you are made aware of the bylaws when you buy into an HOA community. From the article, had he attached the flag to his house, there wouldn't have been an issue. The issue is in him erecting a pole without approval. He should have known better...... As for foreclosing? That's extreme, but it seems like he could have just paid the fines he caused before things got to this point. Also, never buy a house with an HOA..... They suck.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
My Wife repeatedly suggested houses that were HOA. I refused every time. She'd always be like"it's only 90$ a month'"
It doesn't matter. They're terrible.
But yeah, if you don't fallow the rules you have to leave.
I would like some "Karen" to complain about the flag in my front yard.  That's also the type of person that would "complain" about the gunshots in my back yard.  I am glad that I have no neighbors close by and the ones that are do some shooting as well.
Don’t complain about HOA’s when you willingly buy in to one and know what the laws are beforehand. That’s all on you.
(08-12-2021, 05:10 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: [ -> ]Don’t complain about HOA’s when you willingly buy in to one and know what the laws are beforehand. That’s all on you.

This..

I never got how you would pay extra money a month to be told what to do.. 

Kinda stupid..
(08-12-2021, 11:54 AM)Norman Mushari Wrote: [ -> ]My Wife repeatedly suggested houses that were HOA.  I refused every time.  She'd always be like"it's only 90$ a month'"
It doesn't matter.  They're terrible. 
But yeah, if you don't fallow the rules you have to leave.

Conceptually they are OK.  As long as they keep people's yards looking like [BLEEP] holes and attend to OVERT violations.  

But it only takes one [BLEEP] to ruin things.  I actually moved from my first house in Fruit Cove to get out of an HOA that one idiot had cost thousands of dollars with frivolous lawsuits.  The board had no choice but to defend themselves, which in turn ended up costing all of the homeowners becuase the dues would go up to cover legal costs.  Fortunately I got out before the [BLEEP] REALLY hit the fan.  I had enough of this clown.

It's not very nice to say, but I don't think a single person in that neighborhood mourned that idiot's passing three years ago...oddly on my birthday.
What Bunnie and Winger Dinger said.
This would never happen in Florida. There is a state law that specifically forbids an HOA from doing anything about an American flag on your property. It's one of many laws we have that other states would do well to copy.
(08-12-2021, 09:09 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]This would never happen in Florida. There is a state law that specifically forbids an HOA from doing anything about an American flag on your property. It's one of many laws we have that other states would do well to copy.

Had you bothered to read the article, you would (possibly) understand that the infraction was the pole, not the flag.