Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Some positives from last night's game.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
1.  Trevor Lawrence.  Despite having the line constantly collapse in his face, he played well. He didn't make any stupid throws or turnovers.  Given the lousy protection of the line, it's amazing he made as many completions as he did. I was a little nervous with his 10-yard scramble--learn how to slide, #16.  But it's obvious this guy is something special. On that note, I wouldn't play him next week. Not until we can get our starters back.

2. Smoot and Jihad.  Jihad had 1.5 sacks last night, and all Smoot does is make plays. He might be the most underrated player on our team.

3. The defensive line was stout against the run. Continuing a trend from last week. Considering stopping the run was our biggest problem last year on defense, this is a very good sign.

4. There were lots of significant starters who didn't play last night. Our LT, C, and best guard. Our best WR. Our franchise sack master. 

5. Vanilla game plans.  I think this one was obvious.  Starting out every series with two runs, leaving us in a hole on third down. I'm hoping we'll show a lot more against the Texans. 

6. We found our back up QB, and it ain't Minshew. Beathard has played well, albeit against third and fourth stringers. But Minshew is just...well, that INT on the goal was typical.

The bad news?  Travis's injury, of course.  Campbell did not play well, and neither did Walker Little.  Shaquille, the high-priced CB free agent from the Seahawks, had terrible coverage. Some of this = especially in the case of Little--you have to chalk up to the rookies taking their lumps.

I never expected to have a winning season, and I hope you didn't either.  The number one goal of this year is the development of our generational franchise QB.

That's my take.
1. You saw a different game then me. Lawrence compared to the other rookies looks terrible. If there was a re draft I would not take Lawrence.
(08-24-2021, 08:54 AM)CTEisREAL Wrote: [ -> ]1.  You saw a different game then me.  Lawrence compared to the other rookies looks terrible.  If there was a re draft I would not take Lawrence.

Can you elaborate?
I have watched every snap of preseason and all 5 rookie QB. Lawrence is not even in the top 5. The kid the Jets drafted looks like the real deal. Fields looks good. Lance looks to be decent. Mac Jones has been excelllent all preseason. Lawrence even with time has look horrible. No splash plays. Even when he runs he does not look like he did at Clemson.

We drafted the wrong QB.

Marvin Jones is the only Jag on O that has played decent. Even his catches were more his talent and not Lawrence. The D will be better but teams that have WR and a QB are going to rip this D to shreds and the O is going to have a lo tof 3 and outs. OL is terrible and this will limit Robinson year 2.
(08-24-2021, 08:54 AM)CTEisREAL Wrote: [ -> ]1.  You saw a different game then me.  Lawrence compared to the other rookies looks terrible.  If there was a re draft I would not take Lawrence.

Those other QB's have a lot more talent around them, especially on the O-Line. I'm not gonna place all the blame on Lawrence. He has no protection and no running game. We should've done way more to upgrade the O-Line. It's gonna be rough going for Lawrence, but he should not be compared to those other QB's. They aren't all starting on equal footing. Wilson has Mekhi Becton and George Fant, Lance has Trent Williams and Mike McGlinchey, Jones has Isaiah Wynn and Trent Brown. The Bears are in bad shape as well, but they also have one of the best WR's in the NFL, Allen Robinson and a very good defense. We don't have the luxuries that these other teams have.
You give me no specifics here. You missed the 40 yard reception TLaw thew to Jones against Cleveland. That's what you get when you have lots of time to throw. Fields went 9-19 for 84 yards against the Bills second and third stringers.
(08-24-2021, 09:10 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]

Those other QB's have a lot more talent around them, especially on the O-Line. I'm not gonna place all the blame on Lawrence. He has no protection and no running game. We should've done way more to upgrade the O-Line. It's gonna be rough going for Lawrence, but he should not be compared to those other QB's. They aren't all starting on equal footing. Wilson has Mekhi Becton and George Fant, Lance has Trent Williams and Mike McGlinchey, Jones has Isaiah Wynn and Trent Brown. The Bears are in bad shape as well, but they also have one of the best WR's in the NFL, Allen Robinson and a very good defense. We don't have the luxuries that these other teams have.

Exactly. Trevor is not the major problem, our O-line is.
Trevor's not the problem, period.
I’m
(08-24-2021, 09:01 AM)CTEisREAL Wrote: [ -> ]I have watched every snap of preseason and all 5 rookie QB. Lawrence is not even in the top 5. The kid the Jets drafted looks like the real deal. Fields looks good. Lance looks to be decent. Mac Jones has been excelllent all preseason. Lawrence even with time has look horrible. No splash plays. Even when he runs he does not look like he did at Clemson.

We drafted the wrong QB.

Marvin Jones is the only Jag on O that has played decent. Even his catches were more his talent and not Lawrence. The D will be better but teams that have WR and a QB are going to rip this D to shreds and the O is going to have a lo tof 3 and outs. OL is terrible and this will limit Robinson year 2.

I guess the CTE is real. Only an idiot would redraft off of two preseason games.
The biggest positive for me, is no matter how often Trevor was pressured or hit the next play he never looks flustered still stands strong in the pocket, too many qbs in our history take off the second they feel pressure. Trevor stands tall and poised with eyes down field, n thts something that can’t be coached
(08-24-2021, 09:41 AM)Craigukjag Wrote: [ -> ]The biggest positive for me, is no matter how often Trevor was pressured or hit the next play he never looks flustered still stands strong in the pocket, too many qbs in our history take off the second they feel pressure. Trevor stands tall and poised with eyes down field, n thts something that can’t be coached

Agreed.. what a difference, night and day between TLaw and Minshew.. Minshew flusters quick and runs out of the pocket while TLaw tries to go through his reads.

The worst take I've seen yet.
(08-24-2021, 09:41 AM)Craigukjag Wrote: [ -> ]The biggest positive for me, is no matter how often Trevor was pressured or hit the next play he never looks flustered still stands strong in the pocket, too many qbs in our history take off the second they feel pressure. Trevor stands tall and poised with eyes down field, n thts something that can’t be coached

Did you notice how quickly he detected pressure and evaded it once he discovered his line could do almost nothing for him? He gave the turnstile crew the benefit of the doubt in the first quarter but finally decided he was going to have to make plays with his feet. Not ideal, but you could see him becoming a little more comfortable with every snap. I think he could have completed more passes were he not throwing under pressure.

With that being said, this is exactly how good QBs start turning rabbit. It’s impossible to instill confidence in ANY player knowing he’s going to dragged down and possibly injured if he doesn’t turn on his RADAR before every snap. 

Meyer better get that [BLEEP] cleaned up in front or we’ll be reading about both Clemson draft picks on the IR.
(08-24-2021, 09:29 AM)Dimson Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-24-2021, 09:10 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]Those other QB's have a lot more talent around them, especially on the O-Line. I'm not gonna place all the blame on Lawrence. He has no protection and no running game. We should've done way more to upgrade the O-Line. It's gonna be rough going for Lawrence, but he should not be compared to those other QB's. They aren't all starting on equal footing. Wilson has Mekhi Becton and George Fant, Lance has Trent Williams and Mike McGlinchey, Jones has Isaiah Wynn and Trent Brown. The Bears are in bad shape as well, but they also have one of the best WR's in the NFL, Allen Robinson and a very good defense. We don't have the luxuries that these other teams have.

Exactly. Trevor is not the major problem, our O-line is.

Correct - and what's so frustrating is that so many people were saying this before free agency, before the draft, but Meyer disagreed.
(08-24-2021, 09:54 AM)Sibelius Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-24-2021, 09:29 AM)Dimson Wrote: [ -> ]Exactly. Trevor is not the major problem, our O-line is.

Correct - and what's so frustrating is that so many people were saying this before free agency, before the draft, but Meyer disagreed.

All I can say is Warhop must be one persuasive guy to fool both Marrone (an O-line coach) and now Urban into thinking that the tackles are fixable.
Not gonna say we drafted the wrong QB yet, and while it is only the preseason and OL is garbage... I am still waiting for Lawrence to impress me, all other 1st round QB already did.

You are freaking nuts... TLaw is really the ONLY bright spot on this team. Its not his fault our OC sucks monkey balls and that the receivers can't get open.
(08-24-2021, 10:05 AM)Ronster Wrote: [ -> ]

You are freaking nuts... TLaw is really the ONLY bright spot on this team. Its not his fault our OC sucks monkey balls and that the receivers can't get open.

I'm really hoping Bevell and Cullen have some innovative stuff up their sleeves for week 1 and beyond. Bevell has a reputation as a run-heavy, bubble screen guy, but the addition of Schottenheimer's vertical passing prowess (ironic, given his dad's penchant for Marty ball) gives me hope that Bevell can be more balanced. Schottenheimer is the one who let Russ cook. Individually, neither one is a good offensive coordinator -- too skewed to one side. But together maybe they can be a competent team. We'll see.
I hope Trevor is doing some team building with the O-line outside of practice. He needs to be able to trust them.
It's ridiculous to be this panicked after we've only played two preseason games. Our best starters are missing on the OL, and there's no way Joe Montana could thrive behind what we have now. That being said, I think--as I've thought all along--it's gonna be a rough year. I just need Trevor to develop as a franchise QB, and stay healthy.
Pages: 1 2 3