Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: In Search Of: 1996
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As you are aware, 1996 represents the first year the Jaguars ever notched a winning season.  It represents the team's first magical playoff run, a run that saw the Jaguars capture the hearts of Jaguars fans and reach the cusp of the Super Bowl.  It would be nice if the team could surprise us all and replicate that run. 

That isn't likely.  Chances are, this is going to be another LONG season.

However, there is one small yet important aspect of the 1996 offseason that might yet be replicated and be of significant help to this team:  the waiver wire.

Certainly you are blinking in befuddlment after reading that statement.  I was tempted to while typing it. 

But the waiver wire proved to be very important to the Jaguars that year, as they managed to acquire a few of the most important players in early Jaguars history.

RB Natrone Means started off well for the Chargers in 1994, but fell out of favor in 1995, and was waived by the Chargers in 1996.  The Jaguars snapped him up, and he led the team during their playoff run with some dominant rushing performances.

I often speak of Buddy Ryan in almost reverent terms..  However, that respect is limited to his ability to construct great defenses.  He had seemingly zero use for/respect fo offenses, including those players on his own team.  This was reflected in his waiving of OL Ben Coleman.  Coleman wound up settling in at LG for us, and gave us some superb play subbing for Tony Boselli.

A former Ryan alum, DL Clyde Simmons, was cut by the Eagles that offseason.  The Jaguars snapped him up, and he wound up making some of the most important plays in team history, including intercepting the Jim Kelly shovel pass in the 1996 Wildcard game, and blocking the FG to beat the Steelers on Monda Night Football.

Aside from those guys, one of the top 3 players in team history-Jimmy Smith- was a street free agent available for any team to pick up.

The Jaguars took advantage of some mistakes by other organizations to bolster their team.  If UM and Baalke are astute, they will similarly take advantage of their status at  at the top of the waiver wire selection process to acquire players who could upgrade this team in the short and medium term.
Can we find an OC on the waiver wire?
Maybe Blankenship pulls it left on the last play of the season, pushing a 9-8 Jags team into the playoffs as a wild card?

Sucks that statement is actually dreaming big, but what the hell. Hand me some teal kool-aid and hope we get a yet unnamed castoff that helps the o-line turn the corner.
(08-25-2021, 11:59 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]Can we find an OC on the waiver wire?

I like what Bevell does historically, I don't think he's going to be a problem for us.
Such a magical season for so many reasons. It was the start of that special contender run. We had a paler version with Del Rio but it still had that look of a team that had a time table, a window and a plan. It is very early and I'm trying not to get to down in the dumps but I am just not seeing positive signs in the franchise tea leaves. I do hope this is an area they can take advantage. We need help everywhere.
(08-25-2021, 12:03 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-25-2021, 11:59 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]Can we find an OC on the waiver wire?

I like what Bevell does historically, I don't think he's going to be a problem for us.

Expand on this, because what I'm seeing is bubble screens, dink and dunk, and over coaching - i.e., having the scatback run into the center. 

Trevor needs to be rolling out a lot to buy his receivers more time to develop their routes. Maybe some designed read options on the perimeter, too, to take advantage of his mobility without killing him. There needs to be a lot of pre-snap movement to get Shenault and Chark, the two biggest weapons, isolated on weak links.
(08-25-2021, 12:00 PM)anonymous2112 Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe Blankenship pulls it left on the last play of the season, pushing a 9-8 Jags team into the playoffs as a wild card?

Sucks that statement is actually dreaming big, but what the hell.  Hand me some teal kool-aid and hope we get a yet unnamed castoff that helps the o-line turn the corner.

Morgan Anderson pulled the FG that put Jags in ‘96 playoffs.  Or, is Blankenship referring to
example?
(08-25-2021, 01:52 PM)Rockman1966 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-25-2021, 12:00 PM)anonymous2112 Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe Blankenship pulls it left on the last play of the season, pushing a 9-8 Jags team into the playoffs as a wild card?

Sucks that statement is actually dreaming big, but what the hell.  Hand me some teal kool-aid and hope we get a yet unnamed castoff that helps the o-line turn the corner.

Morgan Anderson pulled the FG that put Jags in ‘96 playoffs.  Or, is Blankenship referring to
example?

Is that Morten's brother?
(08-25-2021, 01:52 PM)Rockman1966 Wrote: [ -> ]

example?

Isn't he (blank) the horseshoes' kicker?
Bullseye what’s your point?
(08-25-2021, 02:30 PM)Mikey Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-25-2021, 01:52 PM)Rockman1966 Wrote: [ -> ]Morgan Anderson pulled the FG that put Jags in ‘96 playoffs.  Or, is Blankenship referring to
example?

Isn't he (blank) the horseshoes' kicker?

We play the colts the last game of the season at TIAA, that's why the reference.  1996 was so magic, it took witchcraft for Morten Anderson to miss that kick.  Maybe we catch it again...

We're sure as hell overdue.
That we can solidify weak spots in the roster by being first in the waiver wire order.

Read man
I think we sweep the tacks on the way to a wildcard spot at 9-8. We then beat the Bills and Denver in the playoffs 30-27 each before taking on the tacks in the AFC Championship game in tacktown and whip them 33-14..

If I were writing the movie script, that's exactly how it would go.
(08-25-2021, 02:30 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]Bullseye what’s your point?

That with some astute scouting and some fortunate cuts/waivers, we still may be able to improve the team through the waiver process.

We really can't afford to ignore or otherwise botch this process because we have a lot of weaknesses.

Ha!

Not quite ready to say we need a new OC at the moment.

(08-25-2021, 02:43 PM)Hard_Eight Wrote: [ -> ]That we can solidify weak spots in the roster by being first in the waiver wire order.

Read man

Thank you sir.
Thanks for the memories…. Only input I can provide. Smile
(08-25-2021, 03:21 PM)Corriewf Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the memories…. Only input I can provide. Smile

Aside from that, the only real input anyone could provide would be identify those healthy players who could improve this team that will likely be waived.