Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Preseason Game 3: what would you have to see to make you believe?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well, I think we can all agree that the first two preseason games were quite underwhelming. What would you have to see in preseason game three to start to believe again? Not believe we are headed to the playoffs, but rather believe in this team long-term? For me, I need to see some life out of this offense. I need to see Trevor Lawrence throw some nice touchdown passes. I also need to see this offensive line block a little bit.
If the Cowboys play most of their starters, I agree with you. I want to see this first team offense score some points. I also would like to see some pressure on the QB from this defense.

If the Cowboy's mostly start backup's and third stringers against out starters. There is nothing can really be proven.
(08-25-2021, 08:04 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]If the Cowboys play most of their starters, I agree with you.  I want to see this first team offense score some points.  I also would like to see some pressure on the QB from this defense. 

If the Cowboy's mostly start backup's and third stringers against out starters.  There is nothing can really be proven.

Yeah, but if the Jaguars starters can't beat the cowboys third stringers it's a bad sign.
(08-25-2021, 07:52 PM)Newton Wrote: [ -> ]Well, I think we can all agree that the first two preseason games were quite underwhelming. What would you have to see in preseason game three to start to believe again? Not believe we are headed to the playoffs, but rather believe in this team long-term? For me, I need to see some life out of this offense. I need to see Trevor Lawrence throw some nice touchdown passes. I also need to see this offensive line block a little bit.

Ideally I'd like to see them hold Lawrence out altogether.

Yes, he needs the reps.  But with the injuries to the OL, the team has not shown it can adequately protect him.  The last thing this team needs is for TL to be injured by some guy who won't be on a roster in a month.

Since that won't happen, I'm not sure anything that coupld transpire in this preseason could automatically make me believe in this team long term, standing alone.

Sure, Trevor Lawrence could have a good game and I would feel better about it, but my faith in him long term has not been impacted much by the first two preseason games.
I don’t expect to see anything in pre-game 3 that will make me believe.

I HOPE to see something week one that gives me a glimmer of optimism.
You guys may be right about it being hard to judge if the cowboys rest theirs starters. I think for me, I want to start to see something to at least reignite my optimism about the team. So far, we have just seen nothing out of the offense.
Here we are hoping for the best while that elephant still lounges in the room. We can’t hope to move forward until our OL is solid and has some modicum of depth. Yet even with a new regime in place, we still have more patches and prayers up front than a Flex Seal job. We haven’t even reached the last preseason game and we’re already signing injured castoffs from other struggling teams. It’s like a fog of OL stupid has settled over the stadium.

Expect Lawrence to struggle in frustration and needlessly exposing himself to injury in open field while trying to compensate for the turnstiles in front of him.

(deep breath) There. I feel better now.
Unfortunately, this isn’t a one season rebuild. This is a top to bottom overhaul in its early steps. Some progress by Lawrence is all I want to see. A team than can hopefully pull off 5 wins and show some improvement is my expectation at this point.
Not believe, but I want to see some what of a running game where Trevor can hit see nice plays down field off PA and score some points.

On D I want to sit Myles Jack, he's one of the best players in the game and our best player, I think he becomes our leader on D this year.

I also want to see our corners play much better, other than CJ they have all played poorly and that should be a position of strength because the talent is there. I want to see Campbell play the ball when it's thrown his way, that will be a point of emphasis in practice this week I'm sure.

I'd also like to see us use Tavon Austin a little more is certain packages
(08-25-2021, 07:52 PM)Newton Wrote: [ -> ]Well, I think we can all agree that the first two preseason games were quite underwhelming. What would you have to see in preseason game three to start to believe again? Not believe we are headed to the playoffs, but rather believe in this team long-term? For me, I need to see some life out of this offense. I need to see Trevor Lawrence throw some nice touchdown passes. I also need to see this offensive line block a little bit.

our 1s hold their own against their 1s. Either side of the ball, I don't care at this point.

I don't want to have to wait until the second Q for our starters to appear competent, if at all. I don't want to see nothing happen until the future of our waiver wire is on the field. That too much to ask?

(08-25-2021, 08:04 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]If the Cowboys play most of their starters, I agree with you.  I want to see this first team offense score some points.  I also would like to see some pressure on the QB from this defense. 

If the Cowboy's mostly start backup's and third stringers against out starters.  There is nothing can really be proven.

Correct. This is my biggest worry, we roll out the 1s and they start the bottom of their roster.

I get avoiding playing all your cards in the preseason, but if I'm Shad, I'm a little cheesed that the team is doing next to nothing to draw casual fans to buy tickets. Who could get excited about what we've seen so far?
Caught a bit of radio a little after 5pm yesterday, and they had a guy that I think was a writer for the Cowboys on. His take - this is the Cowboys' 4th pre-season game, and they are sitting EVERYBODY.
Our team better look functional against their scrubs.
Nothing that I see in this game will make me believe. Heck, perhaps game 1 vs the Texans won't be either since we looked really good vs the Colts last year in game 1. I think this is an evolution so patience is in store for me this year. Quite honestly, even if we lose, I just want the Jags to look like they know what they are doing and have a decent path forward. Right now the coaches look lost. I was hoping for an open offense like the Saints ran with 3WRs and a Kamara type catching passes out of the backfield but that does not appear to be happening with Bevell running Robinson right up the butt of our center.
sustained drive with balance and confidence, regardless of which string the Cowboys use.

The offense just looks so unsure of itself, it will take time for everyone to get settled into their role
ETN with 1 carry.
I just want to see some stuf that looks easy. Whether it's because of worse blocking, worse receivers, or most likely worst playcalling...it just looks harder for Trevor than it has the other rookie QBs.
(08-26-2021, 11:47 AM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]I just want to see some stuf that looks easy. Whether it's because of worse blocking, worse receivers, or most likely worst playcalling...it just looks harder for Trevor than it has the other rookie QBs.

Trevor's Wonderlic score has been kept secret. Wonder why?

Three preseason games aren't going to make me believe or not believe in the long term (beyond one year) prospects of this team.  

I really think, by the end of the year, we will be much better than last year simply because we have better players at so many different positions.  But it might take some time to get going.  So many new players, new coaches, and new offensive and defensive systems.  

Preseason isn't going to make me panic.
(08-26-2021, 12:37 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]

Three preseason games aren't going to make me believe or not believe in the long term (beyond one year) prospects of this team.  

I really think, by the end of the year, we will be much better than last year simply because we have better players at so many different positions.  But it might take some time to get going.  So many new players, new coaches, and new offensive and defensive systems.  

Preseason isn't going to make me panic.
This is a very realistic perspective. I would say I’m right on board with this. I’m not expecting us to make the playoffs or even this year, but I would love to see some true progress at Key positions as the year unfolds
(08-26-2021, 12:18 PM)cincyjacket Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-26-2021, 11:47 AM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]I just want to see some stuf that looks easy. Whether it's because of worse blocking, worse receivers, or most likely worst playcalling...it just looks harder for Trevor than it has the other rookie QBs.

Because they don't matter at all?
(08-26-2021, 12:18 PM)cincyjacket Wrote: [ -> ]

He wasn't at the combine so there's no wonderlic score.
Pages: 1 2