Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Vic Ketchman, “1995 expansion Jags would beat the team I saw Monday night.”
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Helluva thing to say, but possibly true.  
I have tremendous respect for Vic.  Saved every column that including one of my
questions.

Could this team really be that bad?

ASK VIC BLOG: 8/26/21
Aiden from Jacksonville, FL
Observations from the Jags so far?
They were beyond disappointing on Monday night. I didn't see a nucleus around which the team might build. It's a complete rebuild. Urban Meyer is facing the greatest challenge of his coaching career.

Chevin from Jacksonville, FL
Wow, the Jaguars are still really that bad right now, aren't they?
The 1995 expansion Jaguars would beat the Jaguars team I saw on Monday night.
It was a different breed of players playing back in the day so I say yes they would beat them.
Apples to Oranges. We had 3 OL out plus we were not showing our cards with vanilla playcalling on both offense and defense due to it being preseason. So no one can compare enough to make a statement like that. Not saying it's not true, just apples to oranges.
Vic has some good stories and some decent insights, but you have to remember he holds Jacksonville and/or the Jaguars in mild contempt. He won't admit it, but it's obvious from some of his responses there is a degree of bitterness.
(08-26-2021, 05:21 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]Vic has some good stories and some decent insights, but you have to remember he holds Jacksonville and/or the Jaguars in mild contempt. He won't admit it, but it's obvious from some of his responses there is a degree of bitterness.

I hold this franchise in mild contempt.  They have no football skill or capability.
(08-26-2021, 05:45 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-26-2021, 05:21 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]Vic has some good stories and some decent insights, but you have to remember he holds Jacksonville and/or the Jaguars in mild contempt. He won't admit it, but it's obvious from some of his responses there is a degree of bitterness.

I hold this franchise in mild contempt.  They have no football skill or capability.

Lol. I think we all do to some capacity.
(08-26-2021, 05:15 PM)Brett Wrote: [ -> ]Apples to Oranges. We had 3 OL out plus we were not showing our cards with vanilla playcalling on both offense and defense due to it being preseason. So no one can compare enough to make a statement like that. Not saying it's not true, just apples to oranges.

Josh Allen and Chark were out as well.  2 Pro Bowlers and 2 of our best players
I can't stand Oesher and admit Ketchman was better but he also was a jerk too. I can do without him.
(08-26-2021, 06:16 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]I can't stand Oesher and admit Ketchman was better but he also was a jerk too.  I can do without him.

In general, Vic is a condescending fool who doesn't know when to stay in his lane on non-football matters. I'm glad he has his own non-NFL forum to express his dimwitted political views. Journalists (I was one) don't make much money and spend the rest of life harboring bitterness toward those who leapfrogged them by making smarter college major decisions. 

He's right sometimes, though. This season will be a steep learning curve for Urban, but he's smart and will adjust. Shad has a lot of patience, too. The glass is half full. Come November or December, the young, ascending talent, like Shenault and Chark, will coalesce around Trevor. The key will be whether Bevell can adjust the offensive style to overcome the turnstiles at tackle.  

He also grossly underestimates in writing that the team doesn't have a young nucleus. He's overlooking Chark, Shenault, Jalen Camp (if he stays), and Little on offense. He's overlooking Allen, Hamilton, Tufele, Quarterman, Henderson, and Cisco on defense. 

But the problem is the dead wood on the offensive line overshadows all this. All five starters need to go due to ineptitude and age/injuries. That's a serious rebuild. 

Next season there will be plenty of free agent money to fortify the line and add some offensive speed.
The 1995 Jags probably would beat the 2021 Jags. They made the AFC Title game the following year.
Vic also used to harp repeatedly on buying too much into what you see in Preseason.
(08-26-2021, 06:14 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-26-2021, 05:15 PM)Brett Wrote: [ -> ]Apples to Oranges. We had 3 OL out plus we were not showing our cards with vanilla playcalling on both offense and defense due to it being preseason. So no one can compare enough to make a statement like that. Not saying it's not true, just apples to oranges.

Josh Allen and Chark were out as well.  2 Pro Bowlers and 2 of our best players

The impact Kickoff and Punt Return skills that Jamal Agnew brings to the table should also be a major boost for the Jaguars when the regular season begins.
Well, Vic is an old curmudgeon. His takes are iffy at best but I will say that the 95 team could probably play with the team that has showed up in the first two preseason games. But the 95 team that started the season had very little offense so it wouldn't score much. That team would also get zero pressure on Trevor, so Trevor would probably have an easy time of it. In some ways though this rebuild is like an expansion team so maybe the comparison isn’t that far off.
With the predominant youth of this team, especially at many key positions, it will be hard to watch at times. However, the growth rate of this team will likely be exponential given the inexperience and substantial ceiling in many of these players (ie. Lawrence, Shenault, Little, Allen, Chaisson, Hamilton, Henderson, Campbell, Cisco, and others). It is easy for a media person like Vic to throw stones at this team's current level of performance, but it takes a better media person to dig a little deeper to comprehend where this team is headed. ....go Jags.

I won't say contempt, but more a dissatisfaction of a father who sees their kid continuing to make the same mistake over and over again. 

I mean, the league is structured in a way that the worst teams have the best opportunity to improve, yet we continue to falter.  He's probably disappointed like the rest of us, why can we not seem to get it right?
I miss Vic. I don't always agree with him but I found his style of reporting and his years of knowledge entertaining and informative. I don't dislike Oesher but I go to AskVic more than Ozone.

This team won 1 game last year. They should be better but I'm not surprised they haven't looked really good yet this year. I think we start out 1-4 or something and finish the year 7-10 ish. Kinda like the Bolts last year.
(08-26-2021, 08:02 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: [ -> ]Vic also used to harp repeatedly on buying too much into what you see in Preseason.

This ^
Pretty sure the 95' jags are all like in their late 40's now. Some early 50's probably too. I doubt they've practiced in years.
It would depend on which part of the 1995 Expansion team played.

If it was the team weeks 1-4...then maybe not.

Neither Boselli nor Brunell started those first 4-5 games. Boselli was out with a knee injury. Coughlin just had Brunell on the bench behind Beuerlein.
Does anybody not on arthritis medication in the media have any opinions of the Jaguars.
Pages: 1 2